• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:20:41 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

☢ ☢ ☢ FFT Arena AI Tournament Season 3 ☢ ☢ ☢

Started by CT5Holy, July 28, 2014, 04:08:02 pm

Jumza

He's just giving a prediction of the tournament, don't attack him for it 0.o

Anyway, I hope the tournament keeps this speed up, it's very entertaining and it's great to not have a shortage of videos to watch :)
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

CT5Holy

reinoe is def just joking around, Leif. He's got the winky smiley and everything! It's ok, sarcasm + internet = kinda hard sometimes.

Also, I'm back (on my desktop)! Moved into new apartment and have internet and stuff. I guess in terms of hosting, I'll fill in wherever's needed. Most likely as directed by Barren (thanks again for all your hard work! and sorry again for mostly bailing out of hosting!).
Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney

silentkaster

Daaaaaaaang...someone is taking it a bit seriously. He was joking, and even if he wasn't, who cares? Let people believe and do what they want...:P

I can't wait for some more CT5 commentary.
You've stepped in puddles less shallow than me.

Leif1991

August 11, 2014, 05:48:30 pm #103 Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 09:39:31 pm by Leif1991
Sorry peeps. Yeah, I guess I got annoyed, my bad.
Season 3 A.I. Tournament Champion

Barren

So far I haven't heard from gaignun since I pmd him. CT5Holy if gaignun doesn't respond to me in time would you be able to do the winners match 17 - 20?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

CT5Holy

Barren

Great! You can start either today or tomorrow pending on how much free time you have :-D

The Damned

(Blegh. This entire year can go burn. My laptop just had to die on top of everything else.)

I wonder I'll even be able to fit anything in this post since the post preview probably still doesn't show you if you've gone over the speed limit. It doesn't help that I am so behind on things that I have eight commentaries to go over, six of them which ended up being play-by-play commentary.

Regardless, thanks for using the music I gave you Barren and some that I didn't that I thought still fit. I only wish that it wasn't so wasted on a rather crappy match, but that's my fault, not yours obviously.

Matches I "Owed":
(Barren)
Team: Season 3
Palettes: Blue/Yellow

================================

Altair
Male
Cancer
Ninja
Item
Speed Save
Defense UP
Move-HP Up
Repel Knife
Ninja Edge
Thief Hat
Black Costume
Setiemson

X-Potion, Hi-Ether, Antidote, Chrono's Tear, Echo Grass, Maiden's Kiss, Soft, Holy Water, Bandage, Phoenix Down

Nash
Male
Cancer
Thief
Punch Art
HP Restore
Two Hands
Move+1
Katar

Flash Hat
Power Sleeve
Cursed Ring

Quickening, Steal Heart, Steal Accessry
Stigma Magic, Revive

Jabbah
Female
Pisces
Geomancer
Draw Out
Counter Flood
Magic Attack UP
Teleport
Rune Blade
Aegis Shield
Golden Hairpin
Wizard Outfit
Red Shoes

Pitfall, Water Ball, Hell Ivy, Carve Model, Local Quake, Kamaitachi, Demon Fire, Quicksand, Sand Storm, Blizzard, Gusty Wind, Lava Ball
Koutetsu, Bizen Boat, Murasame, Masamune, Chirijiraden

Luna
Female
Scorpio
Priest
Time Magic
Damage Split
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
Wizard Staff

Holy Miter
Robe of Lords
N-Kai Armlet

Cure 2, Cure 3, Raise 2, Protect 2, Shell 2, Esuna
Haste 2, Slow 2, Don't Move, Comet, Sinkhole, Demi 2

vs.

(TrueLight)
Palettes: Red/White

Akashi
Male
Aries
Ninja
Item
Auto Potion
Defense UP
Move-HP Up
Repel Knife
Platina Dagger
Flash Hat
Black Costume
Angel Ring

Hi-Potion, X-Potion, Hi-Ether, Antidote, Chrono's Tear, Echo Grass, Maiden's Kiss, Soft, Holy Water, Bandage, Phoenix Down

Crimson
Male
Leo
Mediator
Punch Art
HP Restore
Attack UP
Warpath
Stone Gun

Thief Hat
White Robe
Cherche

Refute, Mimic Daravon
Stigma Magic, Revive

Alizarin
Male
Leo
Bard
Draw Out
Counter Flood
Magic Attack UP
Teleport
Orichalcum

Golden Hairpin
Brigandine
Red Shoes

Asura, Koutetsu, Bizen Boat, Murasame, Masamune, Chirijiraden

Scarlet
Female
Aquarius
Priest
Time Magic
Damage Split
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
P Bag

Black Hood
Robe of Lords
Setiemson

Raise 2, Esuna
Haste 2, Slow 2, Comet, Sinkhole, Balance

I actually did watch this already, though the first time I kind skipped over Zotis's analysis since I was busy doing other things and the static was...grating coming from my speakers. It's more bearable coming from headphones, oddly, and I promised myself that I would watch & listen to all of it, so I am.

For the record, no one ever sounds like I expect, but Zotis's voice sounds like a slightly softer, less excitable version of CT5Holy's voice to me.

First Round - The initial Elemental damage from Barren's Geomancer kind set the tone for this round since TrueLight's Priest doesn't have any Cures for some reason. Basically everything snowballed from that since the Katar Thief is fast and hits rather hard. TrueLight's Priest getting effectively Stopped by Kagesougi via Don't Act and Don't Move basically won the round since Phoenix Down can't stand up to any attack Draw Out if you have no M-EV. I am kinda surprised that unit normally as squishy as a Ninja stayed up the longest for Truelight though.

Second Round - TrueLight was just automatically screwed by the Cemetery splitting you up a bit given Barren's team already has an easier time dealing damage. Hell Ivy procing Stop on his Ninja didn't help him at all though. Similarly, his Bard annihilating the Thief with Asura didn't really mean much since the Thief was guaranteed to get back up and in a stupidly short amount of time at that. TrueLight's Priest not having healing screwed him over again, though she was rather too focused on Haste 2 really until after people had died anyway. Raise 2 is all well and good if you can get it off (and it hits), but if you can't and that's your main source of healing...yeah. That just can't work against a team like Barren's where two units are too faster and two of them have basically guaranteed, significant damage. TrueLight will probably do better in the Underworld though.

(Anima Zero)
Team: Seraphic Blue
Palettes: Red/Black

Anima
Male
Scorpio
Paladin
Basic Skill
Abandon
Attack UP
Move-HP Up
Ice Brand
Ice Shield
Crystal Helmet
Light Robe
Leather Mantle

Consecration, Transfusion, Iron Will, Reraise, Grand Cross
Accumulate, Heal, Wish

Minerva
Female
Capricorn
Samurai
Lore
MA Save
Magic Attack UP
Move-MP Up
Chirijiraden

Circlet
Robe of Lords
Diamond Armlet

Bizen Boat, Murasame, Heaven's Cloud, Muramasa, Chirijiraden
Bio 2, Bio 3, Tornado, Quake

Captain Rex
Male
Virgo
Monk
Steal
Auto Potion
Martial Arts
Ignore Height

Chakra Band
Earth Clothes
Bracer

Spin Fist, Repeating Fist, Wave Fist, Earth Slash, Secret Fist, Stigma Magic, Chakra, Revive

Liete
Female
Taurus
Mediator
Item
Damage Split
Throw Item
Teleport
Glacier Gun

Holy Miter
Santa Outfit
108 Gems

Blackmail, Death Sentence, Insult, Mimic Daravon
Hi-Potion, X-Potion, Hi-Ether, Antidote, Chrono's Tear, Echo Grass, Maiden's Kiss, Soft, Holy Water, Bandage, Phoenix Down

vs.

(Fenire)
Team: A Knight at the Movies
Palettes: Black/White

The Untouchable
Male
Sagittarius
Squire
Item
Abandon
Throw Item
Warpath
Shieldrender
Escutcheon II
Twist Headband
Power Sleeve
Wizard Mantle

Accumulate, Throw Stone, Wish
X-Potion, Hi-Ether, Antidote, Echo Grass, Maiden's Kiss, Soft, Holy Water, Bandage

Sniper
Male
Sagittarius
Archer
Draw Out
Projectile Guard
Attack UP
Move-HP Up
Mythril Bow

Thief Hat
Secret Clothes
Cursed Ring

Seal Evil, Hawk's Eye
Kiyomori, Masamune

First Knight
Female
Gemini
Paladin
White Magic
Counter
Magic Defend UP
Move-MP Up
Battle Axe
Diamond Shield
Platina Helmet
Robe of Lords
Setiemson

Nurse, Transfusion, Reraise
Cure 4, Raise 2, Esuna

Druids
Female
Gemini
Summoner
Time Magic
MP Restore
Magic Attack UP
Pilgrimage
Wizard Rod

Golden Hairpin
White Robe
Magic Ring

Moogle, Fairy, Carbunkle, Cyclops, Zodiac
Haste 2, Slow 2, Comet, Sinkhole

I said last time that I would actually pay attention to how Anima Zero won, so I'll do that. I just remember it being relatively close since both of them have pretty good teams, especially for "newbies".

First Round - No Frog on Bio 2 helps Fenire's team since that's basically only thing that can screw over Cursed Ring at present aside from maybe Berserk. The Archer gets off quite a bit of damage with Hawk's Eye before getting killed for a while. Then there's a rather lot "sandbaging" as various Earth element attacks get launched at the Summoner and co. while she dies repeatedly, which Pilgrimage only helps. The Archer getting up with a mere 1 HP is rather amusing.

The Cyclops form the Summoner nuking Anima Zero's team doesn't even briefly save her since the Monk just beats her face off and the Samurai heals herself with Quake. The female Paladin not getting any Battle Axe procs is something that I remember from this round that helped Anima Zero win this one. So was that Samurai blocking a would-be fatal longbow shot, if only because it caused the Squire to have to kill her when she waltz up with...something. Which, in turn, gets him killed by Spin Fist of all things rather than Repeating Fist.

The female Paladin even goes down soon after and the recently Raise 2'd Summoner gets OHKO by Quake due to Pilgrimage backfiring.

Second Round - I vaguely remember Fenire winning here because Anima Zero's team "smartly" split up from the start and the Undead Archer got Hasted and didn't get immediately Consecrated. He still went down rather  quickly, but the Samurai using up turn on a rather weak Tornado and then guarding a healing Earth Slash is basically what started his downfall. Getting nuked by the Summoner, with the Mediator dying to Cyclops, and the female Paladin's Battle Axe finally going off on the male Paladin for fatal damage is basically what sealed it.

After that, it was mostly just a brief, vain struggle from Anima Zero's team, especially with Transfusion & Esuna breaking Charm, having to deal with Throw Stone & Poison & double-hitting Shieldrender and Anima Zero's team kinda having issues with units dying on an uneven terrain.

Third Round - And Mega Man X OST's is the background for Anima Zero's quick victory this round, that starts with the Undead Archer doing down really quickly. The Summoner getting killed by Damage Split of all things after surviving Quake and the female Paladin getting Charmed and then killing the Summoner when she revived with a Battle Axe proc of all things was part of why I guess I forgot this: it was just over so quickly even before Charm figured into it. Seriously, the Undead Archer barely even got a chance to Revive before he got killed by this own ally's Cure 4 of all things.

The only thing that would have been more "insulting" than the Blackmail at the end in this really sudden one-sided "fight" would have been Bio 2 Frogging the Paladin really.

The Rest of Winners Round One:
(reinoe)
Team: 10 Gauge
Palettes: Yellow/White

Unit 1
Male
Scorpio
Thief
Item
Counter
Two Hands
Fly
Platinum Sword

Twist Headband
Rubber Costume
Angel Ring

X-Potion, Hi-Potion, Hi-Ether, Antidote, Chrono's Tear, Echo Grass, Maiden's Kiss, Soft, Holy Water, Bandage, Phoenix Down

Unit 2
Male
Scorpio
Ninja
Basic Skill
Abandon
Attack UP
Move-HP Up
Hidden Knife
Ninja Knife
Green Beret
Power Sleeve
Feather Mantle

Kagesougi
Accumulate, Throw Stone, Heal, Wish

Unit 3
Male
Capricorn
Archer
Punch Art
Projectile Guard
Magic Attack UP
Pilgrimage
Blast Gun
Kaiser Plate
Thief Hat
Black Costume
Setiemson

Arm Aim, Seal Evil, Hawk's Eye, Execute, Armor Break, Weapon Break
Stigma Magic, Revive

Unit 4
Female
Taurus
Time Mage
White Magic
Damage Split
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
Mace of Zeus

Golden Hairpin
White Robe
Sprint Shoes

Haste 2, Slow 2, Comet, Sinkhole, Demi 2
Cure 3, Cure 4, Raise, Raise 2, Wall, Esuna, Holy

vs.

(Asakawa)
Team: Team KG
Palettes: Black/Blue

Nosumo
Male
Libra
Lancer
Punch Art
PA Save
Overwhelm
Move-HP Up
Javelin
Escutcheon II
Mythril Helmet
Reflect Mail
Feather Mantle

Level Jump6, Vertical Jump8
Spin Fist, Repeating Fist, Wave Fist, Earth Slash, Stigma Magic, Chakra, Revive

Kunio
Male
Scorpio
Geomancer
Talk Skill
MA Save
Magic Attack UP
Teleport
Rune Blade
Aegis Shield
Holy Miter
Wizard Outfit
108 Gems

Pitfall, Water Ball, Hell Ivy, Carve Model, Local Quake, Kamaitachi, Demon Fire, Quicksand, Sand Storm, Blizzard, Gusty Wind, Lava Ball
Blackmail, Persuade, Death Sentence, Refute, Insult, Mimic Daravon

Asakawa
Female
Aries
Priest
Time Magic
Counter Flood
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
Wizard Staff

Golden Hairpin
Robe of Lords
Elf Mantle

Cure, Cure 2, Cure 3, Cure 4, Raise, Raise 2, Regen, Protect, Protect 2, Shell, Shell 2, Esuna, Dia, Holy
Haste 2, Slow 2, Stop, Don't Move, Comet, Sinkhole, Balance, Demi, Demi 2

Rune
Male
Serpentarius
Paladin
Sing
Damage Split
Unyielding
Flee
Masamune
Platina Shield
Grand Helmet
Maximillian
Rubber Shoes

Nurse, Consecration, Transfusion, Iron Will, Reraise, Southern Cross
Angel Song, Cheer Song, Magic Song, Nameless Song, Last Song

Not much to say about this match given that reinoe just kinda steamrolled over poor Asakawa's team despite Asakawa not actually being all that bad (unlike, say, mine).

That said, I really don't understand why the Paladin didn't make a short move and fatally Southern Cross a unit in the second round. Sigh. The A.I. is so damn dumb at times....

I probably should watch this again given how much I commented on everything else, but...I have way too much I'm behind on presently. Maybe later.

(spacethypoon)
Team: Black Sheep
Palettes: Black/Green

Hattori
Male
Serpentarius
Ninja
Item
Abandon
Throw Item
Fly
Hidden Knife
Ninja Knife
Thief Hat
Secret Clothes
Feather Mantle

Meiton, Fuuton, Suiton, Kagesougi
X-Potion, Hi-Ether, Chrono's Tear, Echo Grass, Maiden's Kiss, Soft, Bandage, Phoenix Down

Krypt
Male
Sagittarius
Paladin
Draw Out
Counter
Defense UP
Move-HP Up
Ice Brand
Escutcheon II
Crystal Helmet
Reflect Mail
Cherche

Nurse, Reraise, Southern Cross
Koutetsu, Bizen Boat, Murasame, Masamune

Cherice
Female
Pisces
Priest
Time Magic
Dragon Spirit
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
Wizard Staff

Golden Hairpin
Wizard Robe
Chantage

Cure 4, Raise 2, Wall, Esuna, Dia
Haste 2

Kikyo
Female
Aries
Archer
Steal
Auto Potion
Concentrate
Warpath
Windslash Bow

Green Beret
Power Sleeve
108 Gems

Leg Aim, Arm Aim
Quickening

vs.

(The Damned)
Team: Allen Stone Needs Some Sleep
Palettes: White/Black

Sir Sheep
Male
Aries
Paladin
Punch Art
Counter
Defense UP
Warpath
Sleep Sword
Escutcheon II
Gold Helmet
Light Robe
Reflect Ring

Consecration, Transfusion, Iron Will, Reraise
Wave Fist, Secret Fist

Master Whisky
Male
Serpentarius
Monk
Talk Skill
HP Restore
Maintenance
Move-HP Up

Chakra Band
Power Sleeve
Angel Ring

Spin Fist, Repeating Fist, Stigma Magic, Chakra, Revive
Blackmail, Insult, Mimic Daravon

Saint Cannabis
Male
Libra
Oracle
Sing
Projectile Guard
Magic Defend UP
Pilgrimage
Papyrus Plate

Golden Hairpin
White Robe
Defense Ring

Spell Absorb, Zombie, Silence Song, Dispel Magic, Paralyze, Sleep, Petrify
Angel Song, Life Song, Battle Song

Doctor Pill
Male
Serpentarius
Thief
Item
Auto Potion
Throw Item
Teleport
Platina Dagger

Thief Hat
Secret Clothes
Chantage

Heretic, Bad Luck, Quickening, Steal Heart, Steal Accessry
Hi-Potion, X-Potion, Hi-Ether, Antidote, Echo Grass, Chrono's Tear, Maiden's Kiss, Soft, Holy Water, Bandage, Phoenix Down

*submits this team over the only other he finished because he says he wants things to not take long*

*fails to see both how crappy this team is and how a team that's based around Sleep obviously wouldn't finish things quickly*

*facepalms eventually at his usual idiocy*

Sigh. I'm not even surprised this happened given the more I've thought about my team, the more I realized it is rather bad for various reasons:

1. It can't really do any damage without powering up, which it isn't guaranteed to do.

2. It doesn't really have any AoE damage save for Spin Fist.

3. It doesn't heal or resurrect for enough.

4. It's too damn reliant on luck mostly in the form of any form of Sleep hitting and not getting instantly cured, especially when I have notoriously bad luck.

So, really, the wonder is more that I got a win at all, especially since I was severely disadvantaged on all maps versus the most threatening unit on spacethypoon's team, that (damn) Windslash Bow Archer. Every map basically had her immediately getting access to the high ground and getting to keep it, which was obviously bad for me.

Hmmm...I wonder if this abomination of a team is even legitimately fixable without completely overhauling it. It was meant to show off that Sleep is still rather overpowered given it lasts 60 freaking CTs, but, as usual, my ineptitude doesn't show that off well.

In thinking about it over the weekend, here's probably what I would fix without changing everyone's classes outright or something like that:

1. Saint Cannabis loses Petrify: I really should know better by now than to use Petrify on an Oracle unless that's basically all that I want the Oracle to concentrate on. Given Petrify status is a KO status, of course the A.I. is going to concentrate on that over Sleep or basically anything else it has in Yin-Yang Magic save for Dispel Magic as long as it has the MP. Such idiocy.

2. Saint Cannabis loses Dispel Magic: Similarly I already know how much the A.I. prioritizes Dispel Magic despite it currently being nigh worthless at AoE 0, at least with Masamune around. So I should have known better than to that either, especially when I'm already going out of my way to use Reflect on Sir Sheep.

3. Saint Cannabis loses Sing in general and gets Draw Out as his Secondary: He obviously wasn't Singing for the most of the match as it was, mostly only doing so to try and sing ineffectual Life Songs. Yay. Master Whiskey already has Chakra, so Angel Song isn't necessary and Battle Song just forces to me to awkwardly try to use Papyrus Plate on him when he never used that either. I'd probably just give him Murasame, Kiyomori, Bizen Boat and maybe an attacking Draw Out, even those don't benefit from Pilgrimage or his being male. He can maybe keep Papyrus Plate if I didn't just outright invert him and turn him into a Samurai with Yin-Yang Magic; it doesn't/didn't matter either way really.

4. Saint Cannabis gets 70 Brave: Might as well maximize Projectile Guard potential, especially if he's "supposed" to be attacking.

5. Doctor Pill...probably becomes an Lancer Itembot: He doesn't have enough MP to do anything as it is beyond one Quickening and he can't get more in this tournament since the only equipment left to give him MP are Earth Clothes (nigh useless on him), Green Beret (probably the best bet) and Flash Hat (meh on him and possibly disadvantageous on top of being redundant with Heretic). Bad Luck is too whimsical at present to use, especially for someone with bad luck, and while losing Steal Heart and Steal Accessory kinda sucks, the former at least is not all that reliable despite its potential power given its gender dependency. Heretic is basically only used on reaction to spells that weren't targeting him anyway, which Jump also basically gets around, and Quickening still needs to die in a fire, so....

6. Master Whisky gets a P Bag: Might as well, even if the A.I. can be rather dumb about using bag smacks over more damaging options even on even ground.

7. Master Whisky loses Insult for Death Sentence: Because of course I would think it was a bad idea & "buy" it anyway and of course he would use it in the dumbest way possible in the second round. At least Death Sentence wouldn't see an outright damage boost despite the potential problem of unit-ignoring and Doomed/Death Sentence not canceling or blocking Reraise. Gods. What an idiot.

Sir Sheep, despite those pathetic damage Wave Fists, is mostly fine as well, though maybe I'd give him Robe of Lords over Light Robe just so that he could get Nurse and also not be so vulnerable to Poison. I had again forgotten, as with many things apparently, that being poisoned with a P Bag or Light Robe on means that you stay poisoned unless cured of it directly since you can't reapply Regen.

Oh well.

Despite the mistake with your Paladin having damaging Draw Outs, spacethypoon, my team obviously had way more issues, so you earned your win. So "good game" and all that. I'll doubtless lose to Asakawa as well, though that fight will probably be slightly less horrible for me. We'll see I guess.

P.S. Barren, what my team's names are referencing is the title of the team name, though I'd understand if perhaps you haven't heard of the guy. The team's name is the only song I've heard from him myself. Well, that and "officially", you don't seem to be using (or at least mentioning) the team names this tournament for the teams that have them, so it's not like it would come up.

P.P.S. Yeah, I gave the Monk Maintenance out of an abundance of caution as per usual. On top of being an idiot who apparently entertains Complexity Addiction in every team's thematic design, I also of course plot things too defensively. I expected there to be [a]a lot[/b] more teams with break skills, if only because I (way) expected more Ninja and Archers in general and given I can never avoid anything, I figured that using up a "free" Support slot on that would be better than trying to chance misses that would normally be free turns for other people. Still, Martial Arts probably would have indeed been better. Oh well. Too late there too.

The...Second Half of Losers Round One?:
Team: A Knight at the Movies

The Untouchable
Male
Sagittarius
Squire
Item
Abandon
Throw Item
Warpath
Shieldrender
Escutcheon II
Twist Headband
Power Sleeve
Wizard Mantle

Accumulate, Throw Stone, Wish
X-Potion, Hi-Ether, Antidote, Echo Grass, Maiden's Kiss, Soft, Holy Water, Bandage

Sniper
Male
Sagittarius
Archer
Draw Out
Projectile Guard
Attack UP
Move-HP Up
Mythril Bow

Thief Hat
Secret Clothes
Cursed Ring

Seal Evil, Hawk's Eye
Kiyomori, Masamune

First Knight
Female
Gemini
Paladin
White Magic
Counter
Magic Defend UP
Move-MP Up
Battle Axe
Diamond Shield
Platina Helmet
Robe of Lords
Setiemson

Nurse, Transfusion, Reraise
Cure 4, Raise 2, Esuna

Druids
Female
Gemini
Summoner
Time Magic
MP Restore
Magic Attack UP
Pilgrimage
Wizard Rod

Golden Hairpin
White Robe
Magic Ring

Moogle, Fairy, Carbunkle, Cyclops, Zodiac
Haste 2, Slow 2, Comet, Sinkhole

vs.

(White Knight Wiegraf)
Team: 革命機 (Revolution Machine)

Behemoth
Male
Libra
Samurai
Basic Skill
Finger Guard
Unyielding
Move+1
Kikuichimonji

Crystal Helmet
Diamond Armor
Feather Boots

Asura, Murasame, Kikuichimonji
Heal, Wish

Titania
Female
Aquarius
Dancer
Ninjitsu
Auto Potion
Equip Ranged
Fly
Windslash Bow

Twist Headband
Power Sleeve
108 Gems

Witch Hunt
Meiton, Kagesougi

Curiosity
Male
Gemini
Mime

Astral
Female
Aquarius
Geomancer
Summon Magic
Caution
Half of MP
Float
Giant Axe
Genji Shield
Holy Miter
Wizard Robe
Magic Ring

Moogle, Titan, Fairy, Carbunkle, Odin

First Round - That was smart of the Mime to block Hawk's Eye with his face. That was not so smart of him to waltz up into Zodiac's range when he didn't have to, even if it was for the kill. This round reminded me that I still wonder what Sand Storm would be like if it was causing Berserk like it was "supposed" to instead of Stop, which actually ended up mattering since that led directly to the Squire's death where as Berserking him would be a mixed bag.

It's kind of weird to see Witch Hunt actually make something of a difference here, even if Fenire's team getting lucky with longbow accuracy and then Battle Axe activating basically invalidated that. I have to wonder why the Mime didn't bother moving on the turn that Poison killed him since it wouldn't have otherwise. It's not like it would have ultimately mattered, but still I wonder.

Second Round - The Undead Archer going down early helped quite a bit, but since Cursed Ring is so fucking stupid, it's unsurprising that it didn't help, especially since he had Kiyomori'd the Mime before "dying". Mimes are already ineffectual as it is when they can actually hit with their attacks. When they get Blinded, however, while mostly Mimicking physical attacks as well? And when they have to deal with potentially getting countered by Battle Axe while Poisoned? ...Yeah, they're screwed even when their team is intelligent and fortunate enough to be able to capitalize off their positioning. The double Fairy was nice, but not enough, especially when the Mime double Kagesougi'd the Samurai immediately after that and the Geomancer got nuked by Zodiac shortly before that happened.

So it would seem that White Knight Wiegraf is the first person eliminated from the tournament technically given the first four rounds of losers haven't been done. Unfortunate, but given that he had at least two self-imposed handicaps compared to everyone else--still using the standard 3,000 JP cap and a Mime--it's not at all surprising.

(silentkaster)
Team: Annoying Team
Palettes: Blue/White

Archer 1
Male
Aries
Archer
Item
Auto Potion
Throw Item
Move+1
Romanda Gun
Zephyr Shield
Thief Hat
Brigandine
Dracula Mantle

Arm Aim, Hawk's Eye, Head Break, Weapon Break
Hi-Potion, Hi-Ether, Antidote, Chrono's Tear, Echo Grass, Maiden's Kiss, Soft, Holy Water, Bandage, Phoenix Down

Archer 2
Male
Aries
Archer
Steal
Faith Up
Magic Attack UP
Move-HP Up
Blaze Gun
Flame Shield
Black Hood
Santa Outfit
108 Gems

Seal Evil, Armor Break, Shield Break

Monk
Female
Leo
Monk
Dance
HP Restore
Equip Shield
Teleport
H Bag
Crystal Shield
Chakra Band
Earth Clothes
Cursed Ring

Secret Fist, Stigma Magic, Chakra, Revive
Nameless Dance

Priest
Female
Libra
Priest
Time Magic
Counter Magic
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
P Bag

Golden Hairpin
Black Costume
Defense Ring

Cure 3, Raise 2, Protect 2, Shell 2, Esuna
Haste 2, Slow 2, Stop, Sinkhole, Balance

vs.

(skiploom188)
Palettes: Green/Yellow

Burret
Male
Virgo
Ninja
Snipe
Abandon
Concentrate
Flee
Ninja Knife
Ninja Edge
Twist Headband
Power Sleeve
Feather Mantle

Shuriken
Armor Break, Weapon Break

Scizzoe
Male
Taurus
Lancer

PA Save
Attack UP
Move-HP Up
Obelisk
Crystal Shield
Crystal Helmet
Crystal Mail
Chantage

Homosex
Male
Taurus
Lancer
Punch Art
HP Restore
Magic Defend UP
Ignore Height
Dragon Whisker
Escutcheon II
Gold Helmet
Gold Armor
Cherche

Level Jump5, Vertical Jump7
Stigma Magic, Revive

Deero
Male
Capricorn
Chemist
White Magic
Counter Flood
Magic Attack UP
Move-MP Up
Blast Gun

Green Beret
Black Costume
Angel Ring

Hi-Potion, X-Potion, Phoenix Down
Raise, Raise 2, Esuna

First Round - I still wonder why the A.I. is blind to some obstacles and not others even when not Berserked given that the windmill cogs blocked at least one of the Archers' shots. Also, there were a weird amount of missed Jumps this round when the A.I. tends not to miss Jumps that often. The Lancers' A.I. was at least smart enough, however, to redirect the Priest's Stop (twice) to herself even if it got immediately Chronos Tear'd away (twice). Not much else to say about this round given there are spellguns and a lot of Nameless Dance involved except that we finally saw a Priest (named Priest coincidentally) use Balance on someone and that it was nice to hear "The Passing of the Blue Crown" used. (Hunh, I can't seem to find the digital copy of it that I downloaded earlier this year--I'll just have to download it again then.)

Second Round - I'll readily admit that I was only half-paying attention here given the result seemed a bit obvious between the spellguns, skiploom188's Ninja going down that quickly and silentkaster's excellent use of otherwise never-used-for-some-reason Faith Up. Given all the accurate Stops on top of that and that silentkaster's team basically was never put in a corner at any time save for the Undead Monk getting banged up for a bit and, yeah, no surprise who won this unfortunately. I also approve of "Wily's Reqiuem" being used even as much as I said eariler I think Wily Stage 1 from Mega Man 2 tends to get overplayed--that includes getting over-remixed.

Guess that means skiploom188 is the second person eliminated from the tournament. Unfortunate given I think he's surprisingly the only person using dual Lancers, though I admittedly don't mind no longer having to read the name "Homosex". Still not sure what story there is or with the rest of his team's names....

(Dragonblade)
Team: Zombie Sweeping
Palettes: Black/Yellow

Sir Sledge
Male
Taurus
Paladin
Draw Out
Damage Split
Two Hands
Move-HP Up
Blood Sword

Crystal Helmet
Diamond Armor
Germinas Boots

Consecration, Transfusion, Iron Will
Masamune

Goldrena
Female
Capricorn
Archer
Basic Skill
Projectile Guard
Concentrate
Pilgrimage
Silver Bow

Golden Hairpin
Black Costume
Cursed Ring

Arm Aim, Seal Evil, Execute, Armor Break
Throw Stone, Heal, Wish

Marv
Male
Taurus
Mediator
Item
Dragon Spirit
Defense UP
Move+1
Necronomicon

Thief Hat
Chameleon Robe
N-Kai Armlet

Mimic Daravon
X-Potion, Hi-Ether, Antidote, Chrono's Tear, Echo Grass, Maiden's Kiss, Soft, Holy Water, Bandage, Phoenix Down

Oakla
Female
Virgo
Oracle
White Magic
Auto Potion
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
Ivory Rod

Black Hood
White Robe
Magic Ring

Zombie, Dispel Magic, Sleep
Cure 3, Raise 2, Esuna

vs.

(Malroth)
Team: Overrated?
Palettes: Red/Green

Rider
Female
Aries
Archer
Item
Projectile Guard
Magic Attack UP
Jump+2
Glacier Gun
Kaiser Plate
Black Hood
Secret Clothes
Defense Armlet

Arm Aim, Seal Evil, Armor Break
X-Potion, Hi-Ether, Antidote, Chrono's Tear, Maiden's Kiss, Soft, Holy Water, Bandage, Phoenix Down

Archer
Male
Libra
Monk
Ninjitsu
Dragon Spirit
Equip Ranged
Teleport
Ultimus Bow

Chakra Band
Power Sleeve
Cherche

Repeating Fist, Earth Slash, Stigma Magic, Chakra, Revive
Kagesougi

Assasian
Male
Libra
Ninja
Snipe
Auto Potion
Attack UP
Move-HP Up
Scorpion Tail
Hidden Knife
Green Beret
Santa Outfit
Salty Rage

Shuriken
Head Break, Shield Break, Weapon Break

Caster
Female
Aries
Mediator
White Magic
Counter Magic
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
Main Gauche

Thief Hat
White Robe
Magic Ring

Blackmail, Death Sentence, Insult, Mimic Daravon
Cure 3, Raise 2, Esuna

Of the four loser's matches, this was the only one that I was actually "excited" for. I really like Dragonblade's team conceptually and was a bit annoyed at how quickly it got screwed over in winner's:

First Round - Holy shit. A 97% chance of Zombie without Faith Rod? Off the bat? Geez. That it was followed by Dragonblade's Paladin getting one-shot and then a Wish missing (again) and a 22% shot for significant damage connecting was...horrible luck for Dragonblade. Dragon Spirit going off on the male Mediator and Raise 2 downing the now-Undead Mediator helped make up for it a bit though, especially since Dragonblade's female Archer was Cursed Ring Undead anyway. The Berserk Ninja was a pain for everyone on Dragonblade's team though and he didn't get taken care of nearly quickly enough, basically killing everyone on Dragonblade's team at least once. Malroth's female Mediator getting up from Undead after the Oracle got Poisoned basically doomed poor Dragonblade anyway. Sigh.

Second Round - A much better start for Dragonblade given that the Ninja got Slept and then hit with Undead. This despite half of Dragonblade's team dying immediately after and then crappy Consecration missing before the Paladin got Death Sentenced. I wonder if the Counter Magic Zombie hitting would have changed anything in this round, especially since the female Mediator would not have wasted a turn trying to Death Sentence the Oracle then.

Regardless, both the Ninja and female Mediator Crystalizing after their first and only deaths was huge and what won Dragonblade this round despite Malroth's Archer blocking the majority of the things before her death.

Third Round - Geez. The Mediator caused Undead on the Ninja all three times he hit the guy? In every round? Malroth really did have horrible luck this tournament.

Still, an early Armor Break on the Oracle and the Mediator separating himself from the rest of Dragonblade's team early on didn't help matters at all for Dragonblade. Neither did Counter Magic Zombie hitting the Oracle this time or Dragonblade getting hit through Projectile Guard when Malroth's Projectile Guard blocked a more accurate shot. The same goes for Dragonblade's team constantly not grabbing crystals for some reason on top of his Undead Oracle not getting up at all when Malroth's Undead Mediator did.

The most confusing thing, though, is that Malroth's Archer didn't bother attacking Dragonblade's Paladin nearly as often as she could have towards the end. That's basically what ended up costing Malroth a very close round three and it's not like it was an issue of Move or preserving CT.

Sigh. The AI is so weird at times in its decisions. This is why it's difficult to "predict" things.

It's weird to see Malroth get eliminated so early, especially since he's gotten (much) better at team building in the time since he's been here. As much as I want to say I'm not sad to see a team that uses Spellguns, Kagesougi and Hidden Knife go, at the same time I can empathize with getting screwed over by bad luck, especially when you feel like you've actually built your team competently (and you have).

(Asakawa)
Team: Team KG
Palettes: Black/Blue

Nosumo
Male
Libra
Lancer
Punch Art
PA Save
Overwhelm
Move-HP Up
Javelin
Escutcheon II
Mythril Helmet
Reflect Mail
Feather Mantle

Spin Fist, Repeating Fist, Wave Fist, Earth Slash, Stigma Magic, Chakra, Revive

Kunio
Male
Scorpio
Geomancer
Talk Skill
MA Save
Magic Attack UP
Teleport
Rune Blade
Aegis Shield
Holy Miter
Wizard Outfit
108 Gems

Blackmail, Persuade, Death Sentence, Refute, Insult, Mimic Daravon

Asakawa
Female
Aries
Priest
Time Magic
Counter Flood
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
Wizard Staff

Golden Hairpin
Robe of Lords
Elf Mantle

Cure, Cure 2, Cure 3, Cure 4, Raise, Raise 2, Regen, Protect, Protect 2, Shell, Shell 2, Esuna, Dia, Holy
Haste 2, Slow 2, Stop, Don't Move, Comet, Sinkhole, Balance, Demi, Demi 2

Rune
Male
Serpentarius
Paladin
Sing
Damage Split
Unyielding
Flee
Masamune
Platina Shield
Grand Helmet
Maximillian
Rubber Shoes

Angel Song, Cheer Song, Magic Song, Nameless Song, Last Song

vs.

(The Damned)
Team: Allen Stone Needs Some Sleep
Palettes: White/Black

Sir Sheep
Male
Aries
Paladin
Punch Art
Counter
Defense UP
Warpath
Sleep Sword
Escutcheon II
Gold Helmet
Light Robe
Reflect Ring

Consecration, Transfusion, Iron Will, Reraise
Wave Fist, Secret Fist

Master Whisky
Male
Serpentarius
Monk
Talk Skill
HP Restore
Maintenance
Move-HP Up

Chakra Band
Power Sleeve
Angel Ring

Spin Fist, Repeating Fist, Stigma Magic, Chakra, Revive
Blackmail, Insult, Mimic Daravon

Saint Cannabis
Male
Libra
Oracle
Sing
Projectile Guard
Magic Defend UP
Pilgrimage
Papyrus Plate

Golden Hairpin
White Robe
Defense Ring

Spell Absorb, Zombie, Silence Song, Dispel Magic, Paralyze, Sleep, Petrify
Angel Song, Life Song, Battle Song

Doctor Pill
Male
Serpentarius
Thief
Item
Auto Potion
Throw Item
Teleport
Platina Dagger

Thief Hat
Secret Clothes
Chantage

Heretic, Bad Luck, Quickening, Steal Heart, Steal Accessry
Hi-Potion, X-Potion, Hi-Ether, Antidote, Echo Grass, Chrono's Tear, Maiden's Kiss, Soft, Holy Water, Bandage, Phoenix Down

Nice to see my match took forever again.

Sigh. Why did the hell didn't I just submit another team, even the Bollywood one that would have taken probably less long despite Slow Dance? How could I possible think any team based on Sleep, even one that was better made than what I submitted, would be "quicker"?

Oh well. Might as well get this over with and start commenting on this too-long abomination.

First Round - Gods my Paladin does pathetic damage though at least my Monk hit with Mimic Daravon off the bat on one person. 82% Petrify hits only to get nullified to no one's surprise even though it's apparently only "really" 61% when she's not charging due to Elf Mantle. I have no idea why the hell my Monk decided to charge towards the Geomancer...oh, to Insult him. Of course. I'm sure that will end well.

Two Steal Hearts have missed when two Petrifys have hit, but at least Insult takes "care" of another source of Petrify-healing since Geomancer has Refute. The Berserk Geomancer also "ironically" does less damage with physical hits than with his Geomancy, though that's not really surprising given how he's built. No Flare from Papyrus Plate--no surprise--and an interesting fatal  double Demi via the Lancer's Reflect goes off while the Oracle gets to continue being ineffectual bait overall and I somehow manage to still have trouble with a 3 vs. 4 because my team sucks so much. The Priest keeps dodging things as Asakawa's Paladin finally wakes up and my Oracle keeps going for Petrify instead of actually useful things, like say Dispel Magic'ing away the Lancer's Reflect or focusing the arguably deadlier Sleep.

Gods, I just realized how useless all of my reactions save for Auto-Potion are against Asakawa's team unless I get rather lucky with HP Restore for once.

Anyway, Death Sentence from Secret Fist finally hits the Priest...only to get nullified by her (?) Paladin's Reraise of course. I'm way more surprised I didn't miss that Revive to get Doctor Pill up before he Crystallized or that I've been continually hitting these Petrifys. How the hell have I not missed one Petrify yet?

A too slow Paralyze goes off on the Priest after she Cure 4s herself, but it at least means the Geomancer is forced to Crystalize.

100% Undead on the Priest?! Oh, right. Saint Cannabis basically has 100 Faith by now and she's Disabled/Don't Acted, so she's screwed, especially since the Lancer just got Berserked, which weirdly makes him way less dangerous as well since Asakawa's team also has damage issues outside of the Priest's Holy and Geomancer's Geomancy. That's really the only reason I'm winning this given how much trouble I was having even when her Paladin was in Dream Land. I guess I'm just more surprised that Saint Cannabis is finally using Zombie at all rather than firing off another blasted Petrify.

(Oh, Asakawa the Priest and Saint Cannabis the Oracle apparently have Best compatibility. That explains things.)

Asakawa's Paladin dodges Secret Fist twice and Mimic Daravon once while Last Song'ing, only to only Quick himself after the Zombie Priest gets Paralyzed at 100% and take an extremely low-damage swing. Kind of amusing to see Masamune the Katana's current Dispel Magic proc go off to absolutely no avail since I so rarely use (temporary) status buffs despite playing defensively.

And then he, too, gets hit by Insult.

Well, this round is over then since the now-Undead Priest is down and the Lancer got put to Sleep as well, especially since then both the Lancer and Paladin get hit by Mimic Daravon (and Silence Song and Steal Accessory and Paralyze and...). Yep, the Priest just Crystallized instead of getting up, the Berserk Paladin got Petrified (again, seriously?) and the Berserk Lancer got Death Sentenced. Yeah.

(Oh, now you start using Battle Song, Saint Cannabis? You poorly constructed jackass....)

Second Round - ...And, as if hearing that, Saint Cannabis of course starts off with Battle Song now that he isn't focused on getting other people hard for nothing; if this team wasn't following thematic naming and if I was keeping Petrify, I'd totally name him "Saint Cocktease". Meanwhile, Asakawa's Paladin starts some type of Song as well since he also has nothing better to do yet; it's difficult to tell which since he has all but two of them. Oh, it's Magic Song. That's...wonderfully problematic if he sticks to it.

Anyway, it's odd that my Thief didn't move or act at all after Battle Song went off and of course both HP Restore doesn't go off and my Oracle stops Battle Song for goddamn 46% Petrify on the Geomancer.

...Which hits...only to get instantly cured. And yet Doctor Pill continues to not be able to hit anything even though that Steal Accessory was 83%. Why is Petrify being so generous to me all of a sudden?

At least Asakawa's Paladin stopped singing Magic Song for  the sake of a pathetic damage Southern Cross and Doctor Pill didn't outright die. Death Sentence starts flying around on both teams after the Priest gets Paralyzed as the Asakawa's Paladin uses his last 5 MP on Nameless Song to cause Reflect (!) on 2 units and Shell on the problematic Geomancy. Dispel Magic finally gets targeted on someone with Reflect and takes away all the Paladin's positive statuses (Haste, Regen & Reflect), though Refute from the Geomancer takes away the Paladin's Death Sentence as well. Just like the Geomancer Refutes himself to get rid of Death Sentence (and Shell) the turn after that. Grrr....

Oh! Reflected Stop...off of my Paladin to Stop my Oracle even though my Oracle hasn't been using my Paladin to Reflect anything. Haha. My Oracle even gets Blackmailed by Geomancer while Stopped and still Charging. Sigh. At least Doctor Pill is at least smart enough to finally revive the Paladin whom had gotten killed after and who dies again to Comet anyway despite Iron Will.

Man, Asakawa's Lancer does terrible damage to both of my units with Spin Fist, but I guess I can't talk about doing terrible damage. Only reason I've been doing this well is because of status and a weird amount of luck for once. Both of the Paladins die as Asakawa's Paladin finally succumbs to Death Sentence only to get Raise 2 locked on to him.

...Which misses at 92%. What.

Blackmail somehow hits the Lancer as my Paladin keeps getting put down despite Iron Will via Comet and Geomancy. Raise 2 finally hits on Asakawa's Paladin just as both my Oracle and Asakawa's Paladin decide to have another Sing-off: ineffectual Life Song vs. ineffectual Angel Song.

Gods damn it. Someone needs to die permanently on someone's side. Pretty please.

My Monk misses Insult as Doctor Pill finally gets my Paladin enough health to stop him dying so easily and the Priest decides to use Slow 2 on him as such.

And, wow, I manage to then hit three separate Sleeps in a row between my Oracle's Sleep on Asakawa's Paladin, my Monk's Mimic Daravon on the Lancer and my Paladin's Sleep Sword on the Priest. Geez, why the hell couldn't you guys do any of this earlier against spacethypoon? Also, gods, Sir Sheep still does terrible damage even with 70 Brave and Warpath. I know Sleep Sword is a pretty weak sword and Sir Sheep has been attacking mostly 40 Brave units, but what the hell.

I get my Thief and Paladin Slowed off the Geomancer's Pitfall, but I've basically already won this since he's the only unit left active presently even though Refute is the only Talk Skill that currently works through Sleep (though it shouldn't). So, theoretically, he could heal them. It's just a question of if he's going to.

Ah, nix that. Master Whisky decides to be a brilliant jackass and wake the Lancer with a punch only to get a vicious crit-hit for 238 as the Lancer immediately gets his turn. You buffoon. Oh well, Repeating Fist puts him down just before I somehow manage to hit yet another Petrify at only 77%. How the have I not missed yet? Is it just because none of them have mattered anyway?

...And yet another Petrify on the same Paladin after Refute had healed it. Geomancer finally misses a Refute before getting Blackmailed into effective Silence--well, Disable/Don't Act--and targeted for a 79% Petrify that...also hits.

I...what. Why did I win this? Why did I actually hit so many Petrifies the one time I'm not actually building around the damn thing? Why? ...How?

Anyway, Asakawa the Priest wakes up after dodging Secret Fist only once in her Sleep and decides it's better to Holy my Thief to death briefly than Esuna either either of her allies for...some reason. This even though everyone ran away from her because she has cooties Death Sentence and she easily could have cured both of them while still being ignored before she died.

Noooooooo! I...won. But how? Even doing this almost-turn-by-turn I still don't understand why I managed to get so lucky this game when my luck normally sucks. I wasn't even using reverse psychology, Lady Luck; why you are such a massive jackass to me?

Sigh. Good game Asakawa. I really did want you to win this, but I suppose I'll just have to die to Dragonblade or, possibly, to spacethypoon again should he (probably) lose to reinoe. Whichever.

(I literally hit every Petrify though. What the hell.)
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

TristanBeoulve

I'd like to suggest some music:
Lost Odyssey's "A Mighty Enemy Appears"
And the game's Main Battle Theme, or "The Gun Barrel of Battle" as it's called.
"There is blood on my hands, how long till it lies on my heart?"

CT5Holy

Leif1991

August 13, 2014, 02:28:25 pm #110 Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 02:52:56 pm by Leif1991
GG, Vigilanti. I got lucky with Talk Skill there.

I know CT5Holy, Abandon was a mistake on my part. However, it does give Myrtle a chance to avoid being OHKO'd by a Two Hand Katar Thief with good compatibility, or non-transparent physical attackers in general.
Vigilanti's Squire can't OHKO my Time Mage; he survives a Holy Spell with 1 HP if he's at max health. If she were a Pisces, he would be dead meat. The Time Mage has Cure spells for emergencies.

TristanBeoulve

Umm... Barren, I looked over the team draft I sent you and Tristan DID have Chakra. Please check your inbox, I was confused when I saw the video and you said I didn't have Chakra.

Barren

Yea I checked and I made a mistake there. I'll make note to Zotis that if he hasn't already recorded your match then to be sure that he would include chakra on your paladin. Sorry about that

TristanBeoulve

Yeah no problem.
I suppose I would have lost the match anyway, so no hard feelings.

Barren

Both rounds were pretty close matches. Round 1 especially with everyone dropping like flies. That last few seconds were crucial for my team to clean up the damage. Round 2 Cursed Ring saved the day. GG Eternal, your squire showed some spunk with that blade beam proc

The Damned

August 14, 2014, 06:38:13 am #116 Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 06:43:35 am by The Damned
(Not sure what's happening with the first half of Losers Round One, but since it doesn't directly affect me [yet], I'm not going to nag anyone about it.)

Oh, haha. I just realized that in my match against Asakawa, TrueLight accidentally misnamed "Doctor Pill" as "Doctor Phil". Doctor Pill isn't that crooked of a "doctor"--honor among Thieves and all that.

I also just realized that I never responded to Eternal, that apparently there's a post missing in this thread beyond the one that Leif1991 deleted & I never saw and that TrueLight never got around to counting up Abilities.

Regardless, I'll comment on the latest batch of matches before I respond to Eternal. Nice to hear CT5Holy back on narration.

(Vigilanti)
Team: Harem
Palettes: White/Red

Aki
Male
Capricorn
Paladin
Jump
Dragon Spirit
Maintenance
Move-HP Up
Defender

Barbuta
Carabini Mail
Leather Mantle

Nurse, Transfusion, Iron Will

Aoi
Female
Taurus
Geomancer
Draw Out
Counter Flood
Magic Attack UP
Move+1
Rune Blade
Escutcheon II
Holy Miter
Earth Clothes
Magic Gauntlet

Local Quake
Bizen Boat, Murasame, Kikuichimonji, Masamune, Chirijiraden

Asuna
Female
Taurus
Chemist
Talk Skill
Auto Potion
Defense UP
Teleport
Main Gauche

Thief Hat
Wizard Outfit
Defense Ring

Blackmail, Death Sentence, Refute, Insult, Mimic Daravon

Ayase
Female
Virgo
Squire
White Magic
Damage Split
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
Wizard Rod
Aegis Shield
Golden Hairpin
Wizard Robe
Genji Gauntlet

Ultima
Cure 3, Raise 2, Protect 2, Shell 2, Esuna, Holy

vs.

(Leif1991)
Team: The Green Thieves
Palettes: Green/Brown

Malachite
Male
Virgo
Time Mage
White Magic
Dragon Spirit
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
H Bag

Black Hood
Linen Robe
Defense Ring

Haste 2, Slow 2, Don't Move, Comet, Sinkhole, Balance
Cure 2, Cure 3, Cure 4, Raise, Wall, Esuna

Mint
Female
Virgo
Mediator
Draw Out
Finger Guard
Magic Defend UP
Move-HP Up
Orichalcum

Thief Hat
White Robe
Cherche

Blackmail, Refute, Insult, Mimic Daravon
Murasame, Kiyomori, Masamune

Myrtle
Female
Taurus
Thief
Item
Abandon
Two Swords
Teleport
Hidden Knife
Repel Knife
Flash Hat
Black Costume
Cursed Ring

Hi-Potion, X-Potion, Ether, Hi-Ether, Antidote, Chrono's Tear, Echo Grass, Maiden's Kiss, Soft, Holy Water, Bandage, Phoenix Down

Mantis
Male
Capricorn
Archer
Punch Art
Projectile Guard
Magic Attack UP
Pilgrimage
Blaze Gun
Kaiser Plate
Green Beret
Brigandine
Setiemson

Leg Aim, Arm Aim, Seal Evil, Head Break, Armor Break, Shield Break
Stigma Magic, Revive

Well, this was disappointing between my wanting Vigilanti to win since he's only person using a Knight Sword & Ultima and the total one-sidedness of it. Not much to say about given spellgun's current level of bullshit, though oddly the Thief was basically inconsequential to Leif1991 winning unlike in his first match, where Thief's Repel Knife kept going off.

(Reks)

Luke
Male
Taurus
Squire
Steal
Abandon
Defense UP
Move-HP Up
Hunting Bow
Escutcheon II
Green Beret
Santa Outfit
Feather Mantle

Throw Stone, Heal, Wish
Bad Luck, Quickening, Steal Heart, Steal Accessry

Cynthia
Female
Capricorn
Samurai
Lore
MP Restore
Magic Attack UP
Pilgrimage
Chirijiraden

Cross Helmet
Linen Robe
Magic Ring

Bizen Boat, Murasame, Masamune, Chirijiraden
Tornado, Quake

Azra
Female
Virgo
Dancer
Jump
PA Save
Equip Polearm
Warpath
Dragon Whisker

Twist Headband
Black Costume
Cursed Ring

Reksalya
Female
Virgo
Priest
Time Magic
Counter Flood
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
Wizard Staff

Thief Hat
White Robe
Setiemson

Cure 4, Raise, Regen, Protect 2, Shell 2, Esuna
Haste 2, Slow 2, Don't Move, Comet, Sinkhole

vs.

(Mallen)
Palettes: Brown/Black

Malibu Monk
Male
Libra
Monk
Ninjitsu
PA Save
Martial Arts
Warpath
FS Bag

Chakra Band
Power Sleeve
Diamond Armlet

Spin Fist, Repeating Fist, Wave Fist, Stigma Magic, Chakra, Revive
Shuriken

Liquor Lancer
Male
Aquarius
Lancer
Sing
Auto Potion
Maintenance
Fly
Obelisk
Genji Shield
Cross Helmet
Carabini Mail
Battle Boots

Life Song, Battle Song

Drunken Dancer
Female
Sagittarius
Dancer
Chivalry
MP Restore
Attack UP
Move-HP Up
Ice Brand

Twist Headband
Santa Outfit
Angel Ring

Wiznaibus, Polka Polka
Iron Will, Grand Cross

Patroni Paladin
Male
Gemini
Paladin
White Magic
Counter
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
Battle Axe
Escutcheon II
Crystal Helmet
Robe of Lords
Dracula Mantle

Nurse, Reraise
Raise 2, Protect 2, Shell 2, Esuna

Yay, someone finally had a match that was longer than one of mine this tournament:

Round One: Outside of the Squire trying for a crossbow shot on a unit already marked for death that could have knocked him out of range if it had hit and the Samurai & he wandering out of Haste 2 range, Reks's team was extremely smart about this round both spell and Jump-wise. The Squire was just kinda there for a really one-sided "fight". (Also, yes, CT5Holy, Jump doesn't care about Blind.)

Round Two: I figured that Mallen would win this round soon as I saw it was that particular Deep Dungeon map given he has Battle Song, which he (?) kept hitting everyone with. Ergo, the only surprising thing about this was that Wiznaibus made such a difference and didn't really backfire at all. I also hadn't realized how much Poison is on Mallen's team or how much Don't Move is on Reks's team.

Round Three: I can only imagine that the Samurai used that useless Tornado on the Monk because the Squire didn't wander out of range of the first Haste 2 this time. Who knows with some of the things the A.I. does though. This probably would have been over early again if Steal Heart hit off the bat, but it didn't, which is what led to Reks's team getting split up. The Samurai acting stupid about healing herself is part of what screwed him over here on top of Comet basically being made useless via the Lancer's Auto-Potion. Speaking of Comet & the Lancer, yes, he Lancer would have died if it wasn't for that Life Song going off just before Comet it hit. If Comet had killed the Lancer, then Reks's probably would have won this. Weird to know that Life Song made such a difference when it healed for so little.

Still, the Squire having bad luck with Bad Luck and everything else he did this round didn't help Reks. The Priest being so dumb and having a rather weak reaction, however, is what ultimately otherwise what put the nail in the coffin for Reks. This especially since she got trapped in the corner and was separated with the only unit on Reks's team she couldn't revive. Just as with Life Song above, it's a bit weird to think that Reks might have won just if the Priest had Regenerator, as weak and overlooked as that often is, given Poison is what took her down in the rounds he lost.

Overall, Reks's Priest was kinda the weak link on this team as it is between being the most vulnerable unit, the only real reviver (since Wish is horrible presently) and mages currently getting utterly destroyed by Poison. Still, for a team that Reks's thought was going to perform quite poorly, it's more than decent otherwise. Certainly better than my tournament team.

Also, yes, Bad Luck triggering Counter is part of why it currently sucks, CT5Holy.

(Eternal)
Team: A Reverie Reborn
Palettes: Blue/Red

Marche
Male
Serpentarius
Squire
Steal
Dragon Spirit
Two Swords
Warpath
Gold Staff
Moonlight
Thief Hat
Black Costume
Rubber Shoes

Quickening

Montblanc
Male
Serpentarius
Wizard
Time Magic
Damage Split
Magic Attack UP
Pilgrimage
Wizard Rod

Holy Miter
Black Robe
Chantage

Fire, Bolt, Ice, Water, Poison
Sinkhole

Shara
Female
Serpentarius
Archer
Item
Speed Save
Concentrate
Teleport
Ultimus Bow

Twist Headband
Power Sleeve
Diamond Armlet

Cover Fire

Ritz
Female
Serpentarius
Priest
Lore
Auto Potion
Equip Light Blade
Move-MP Up
Shieldrender

Golden Hairpin
White Robe
Defense Ring

Cure 3, Raise 2, Esuna
Bio, Bio 2, Bio 3

vs.

(Barren)

Altair
Male
Cancer
Ninja
Item
Speed Save
Defense UP
Move-HP Up
Repel Knife
Ninja Edge
Thief Hat
Black Costume
Setiemson

Nash
Male
Cancer
Thief
Punch Art
HP Restore
Two Hands
Move+1
Katar

Flash Hat
Power Sleeve
Cursed Ring

Stigma Magic, Revive

Jabbah
Female
Pisces
Geomancer
Draw Out
Counter Flood
Magic Attack UP
Teleport
Rune Blade
Aegis Shield
Golden Hairpin
Wizard Outfit
Red Shoes

Koutetsu, Bizen Boat, Murasame, Masamune, Chirijiraden

Luna
Female
Scorpio
Priest
Time Magic
Damage Split
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
Wizard Staff

Holy Miter
Robe of Lords
N-Kai Armlet

Cure 2, Cure 3, Raise 2, Protect 2, Shell 2, Esuna
Haste 2, Slow 2, Don't Move, Comet, Sinkhole, Demi 2

I'm admittedly surprised that CT5Holy wasn't as befuddled by Ritz having a Shieldrender as I was.

Not much to say here except that Cursed Ring and Katar were being their stupid selves, but I'll admit that this was closer than I thought it would be given Eternal purposely made a "weird" team and the above.

(whitebox)
Team: Plush Patrol
Palettes: Yellow/White

Jumpy
Male
Sagittarius
Lancer
Item
Damage Split
Defense UP
Teleport
Javelin
Escutcheon II
Crystal Helmet
Reflect Mail
N-Kai Armlet

Tanky
Male
Taurus
Paladin
Punch Art
PA Save
Martial Arts
Fly
Koutetsu Knife
Aegis Shield
Gold Helmet
Diamond Armor
Defense Ring

Spin Fist, Repeating Fist, Wave Fist, Earth Slash, Secret Fist, Stigma Magic, Chakra, Revive

Tricky
Male
Virgo
Squire
Ninjitsu
Abandon
Overwhelm
Move-MP Up
Coral Sword
Platina Shield
Flash Hat
Black Costume
Feather Mantle

Accumulate, Bullrush, Throw Stone, Heal, Yell, Wish
Tsuzumasuku, Shuriken, Meiton, Fuuton, Suiton, Houkouton, Kagesougi

Squishy
Female
Leo
Dancer
Snipe
Counter
Equip Ranged
Warpath
Gastrafitis

Twist Headband
Power Sleeve
Bracer

Execute, Cover Fire, Head Break, Armor Break, Shield Break, Weapon Break

vs.

(Zotis)
Team: Good Morning Althea

Galory
Female
Aquarius
Paladin
Talk Skill
Absorb MP
Defense UP
Move-HP Up
Ice Brand
Aegis Shield
Cross Helmet
Black Robe
Dracula Mantle

Preach, Solution, Mimic Daravon

Type-38
Female
Gemini
Summoner
Draw Out
Auto Potion
Magic Attack UP
Move+1
Wizard Rod

Golden Hairpin
Wizard Robe
Magic Ring

Moogle, Shiva, Ramuh, Ifrit, Fairy, Carbunkle, Cyclops
Asura, Koutetsu, Bizen Boat, Murasame

Althea
Female
Libra
Oracle
White Magic
Counter
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
Octagon Rod

Thief Hat
White Robe
Defense Ring

Silence Song, Paralyze, Sleep
Cure, Cure 2, Cure 3, Cure 4, Raise, Raise 2, Protect 2, Shell 2, Wall, Esuna

Tetraskelion
Female
Aquarius
Wizard
Time Magic
MP Restore
Magic Defend UP
Teleport
Poison Rod

Green Beret
Robe of Lords
Wizard Mantle

Frog
Haste 2, Slow 2, Sinkhole

Still calling Gastraphetes "Gastrointestinal" I see, CT5Holy:

Round One: This round was basically decided by Secret Fist even with as much damage as whitebox's Dancer does and it being kind of a big deal that she can OHKO the Summoner. I have to wonder if the initial Slow 2 hitting the Dancer would have changed anything here given the smallness of the map.

Round Second: A complete reversal of fortune with Zotis getting really fortunate here while whitebox didn't, what with constantly missing Secret Fist on the Summoner among other things. That's why I wasn't surprised that 37% Frog hit on the first try even if Zotis had already won the round by that point due to Slow 2 hitting all of whitebox's team early on. I also just realized that whitebox's team is one of the few teams not running any form of Haste, which rather showed here.

Round Three: Have to admit that I thought Zotis would win here from the beginning when I saw that first Secret Fist miss again and the Summoner mostly stay away from the Dancer. The Paladin becoming obsessed with Secret Fist seemed to be the chief problem given Death Sentence backfired a lot as it often does. I say that slightly edges out also huge problem of the Dancer being in Critical for half of the round, negating Reraise's effect, in being what ultimately cost whitebox the match. I wonder if he would have won the match if she had Wiznaibus or some other Dance considering how long she was cowering in the there....

Yeah, Solution is completely...counterintuitive and counterproductive on Zotis's team, but it's still nice to see someone try to use it at all as well as see the A.I. finally try to use it. The same goes for Preach and Bullrush.

Regardless, it's a bit funny how ultimately, despite as much damage as both the Dancer and Summoner do, it was ultimately Death Sentence and Slow that decided everything. Also rather funny how despite all of the status flying around, Wizard ever only tried Frog once and when it she did it was for a low percentage that still hit.

Quote from: Eternal on August 05, 2014, 11:45:26 am
You realize, Damned, that I made my team weird for weirdness' sake? :P

Yes, I know. I wasn't calling you out on the "overall" weirdness like I said, especially since it would hypocritical of me to do so given all the theme teams I've made. I'm just still weirded out at Shieldrender over literally any other weapon. Any reason why that?
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Barren

Probably because that Eternal wanted to keep true with his FFTA team and since Ritz uses a rapier as a weapon. Faithfulness in the character I guess

Jumza

I think a Rune Blade would have been more fitting to the character (since a lot of rapiers teach spells), and more useful for the team, but I guess it's Eternal's decision :P
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Leif1991

Quote from: Jumza on August 14, 2014, 09:32:04 am
I think a Rune Blade would have been more fitting to the character (since a lot of rapiers teach spells), and more useful for the team, but I guess it's Eternal's decision :P

If you want to get even more technical, Ritz wields a staff in her official artwork. So, I guess a wizard staff would have been ok.
http://chrysaliswiki.wdfiles.com/local--files/people:ritz-malheur/ritz_ffta.jpg