• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:32:58 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Complete noob's guide to ripping sound effects while in game

Started by Bowser Koopa, August 15, 2010, 01:07:35 pm

Eternal

• Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Eternal

• Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Wiz

Hmm, you could just record the sfx via CamStudio/Camtasia + Stereo Mix then crop out the extra space in an editing program ;)

Anyways, I'll be adding/contributing LOADS of sfx tomorrow after I record them :mrgreen:
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Wiz

I hate animations where you hear a death scream/cry during the middle of it (notably summons).

:(

Of the 19 Generic Skillsets (including mime), I've got 13 of them recorded, the remaining ones are: Summon Magic, White Magic, Sing, Item,  and Geomancy.

Idk when the MP3's will be out  (hopefully in the very near future) because I need to cut out all the dead space a bit at a time w/ just these 100+ abilities alone :cry:

Bowser Koopa

Wiz, you are awesome! Whenever you get the rest of these sound effects saved out, let me know! I'd love to have them in my collection!

Wiz

NP ^_^

My apologies for not posting any results, Geomancy stopped me in my tracks because that required me in going to different maps to get all the effects. No matter, I've made some Master Memory Cards, so I should be able to load up any battle with no problems whatsoever to finish 'em off :)

So all what's for generic abilities include:

- Half a dozen of so elementals
- Cheer Song

When I get these posted (soon :D), you should test them out and see if there's any "delay"/"lag" during the animations (there shouldn't be any, but it's worth taking a look at).

As for the others (All-Ultima, Grand Cross, Nightmare, etc...), I'll do those later on, not now since I've got other stuff going on. Good to know you'll add some into your collection :mrgreen:

Yocham

Hey, the links in your original post for the sounds ripped by Zodiac seem to be broken. Is there any mirrors of said links, or should i go about trying to rip the sounds myself instead?

Broken links, for clarification:
http://www.ffhacktics.com/instructions.php?id=6B
http://www.ffhacktics.com/instructions.php?id=21

formerdeathcorps

The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Wiz

Ugh, just listened to the SFX Bowser Koopa and they're off in pitch + a tad slow (as in it's not constantly running at 60 FPS and sometimes drops down to 59.99). Oh well, if I get a more powerful computer/laptop, then I'll give this another whirl :P

Bowser Koopa

November 02, 2011, 09:41:56 am #30 Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 09:53:49 am by Bowser Koopa
Quote from: Wiz on October 29, 2011, 06:17:49 pm
Ugh, just listened to the SFX Bowser Koopa and they're off in pitch + a tad slow

Wow, really? That's pretty crazy that you can notice something like that. I usually catch details like that, but I guess I never really noticed much of a difference between the original sfx (as in what you'd hear on a genuine PSX) and what I've ripped.

I doubt processing power is really an issue. My computer has 12gb of ram, quad core i7 intel CPU, and a radeon 5970 video card (though at the time I originally posted this thread, I may have had -slightly- lower specs). It can handle pretty much everything I throw at it. My question is...could there be some settings I missed in the emulator that made the sound effects seem off to you?

Regardless, I'll keep my eyes peeled to this thread should you wind up ripping (or-re-ripping) sound effects. My collection is nowhere complete, but I just haven't really had time to dig in and rip them all. It's such a tedious process! I wish you luck. :D

Quote from: Yocham on October 06, 2011, 05:12:37 pm
Hey, the links in your original post for the sounds ripped by Zodiac seem to be broken. Is there any mirrors of said links, or should i go about trying to rip the sounds myself instead?

Broken links, for clarification:
http://www.ffhacktics.com/instructions.php?id=6B
http://www.ffhacktics.com/instructions.php?id=21

Thanks for the heads-up, by the way. I've replaced the links in the original post with formerdeathcorps's updated URLs. Sorry I didn't fix that sooner. I don't come on here as often as I should!

Wiz

Quote from: Bowser Koopa on November 02, 2011, 09:41:56 am
Wow, really? That's pretty crazy that you can notice something like that.

Well, I was a musician who played the Trombone/Euphonium in HS + it's noticeable that the emulator slows down a tad bit (59.99-59.98) so yeah :P

QuoteMy question is...could there be some settings I missed in the emulator that made the sound effects seem off to you?

Oh, I meant as in the pitch of my SFX were off. I think it has to deal with the fact that my sound card's not the greatest.

If you listen to the sword slice that this video projects and compare it to one of my vids, you'll notice that mine has a little ting to it that's not supposed to be there. I use ePSXe, like Voldemort7 does with the exact same Audio Settings for the Sound plugin, which can be found here (He gave those to me).

Chances are, the best course of action I'll be taking is recording the game off of an actual PSX (Disabling the BGM for obvious reasons) using a capture card like the Dazzle.

I've got a ~900 $ HP Pavilion dm4 from a little over a year ago and I'm guessing Arch's got like a $2,000 Mac so that's probably why his is able to capture the sound more accurately + use the more advanced video plugin (Pete's Open GL 2.9 - Not like that makes a difference in Audio Quality).

But yeah, I might be getting a job very soon (currently waiting on the result) and if so, I'll have moolah to be able to buy one and do this with accurate sound then <_<