• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:21:26 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Create New Skill!

Started by Areli Azumi, February 02, 2015, 03:34:03 am

Areli Azumi

Hi guys I took interest at modding FFT since this morning so yeah I'm still a newbie and I want to ask about creating new skill in FFT using all tools in FFHacktics. I want to make a transformation skill. Wolf Knight transform into Werewolf. So if anybody know please tell me thank you :)

Jumza

Well, the only skill that fully transforms units is Moldball Virus in the Malboro skillset. Since this skills function is to transform units into Malboro's, and you want a guy who can become a werewolf, you will want to replace the Malboro sprite with the werewolf sprite. Then you can give the wolf knight either this skill or make another skill with the same formula, then make it so he can target himself.

Please let me know what you find out about this strange formula. I've never actually encountered it in all the years I've played FFT. Do your units stay as Malboro's forever? Does it work on other monsters? I just don't know :P
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Xifanie

This skill basically can't work as a skill... unless you have a very specific setup in mind.

For a specific battle, you would need to use at most 8 spritesheets for all the units on the field, +1 for the werewolf.

The werewolf sprite would need to at least be pre-emptively loaded into the VRAM, if not just present as a unit on the map. You would basically need to use the Moldball Virus formula. Because of these limitations, it would be impossible to say, recruit and use a werewolf. Well it would be possible, but you'd end up with a glitched sprite instead of a werewolf; other than that the unit would be perfectly functional.

Moldball Virus in vanilla always works because only Malboro class monsters can use the skill. So the spritesheet has to be already loaded.

Also, by default the Moldball virus formula can only affect generic units, it will have 0% chance to hit special characters.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Jumza

Quote from: Xifanie on February 02, 2015, 07:59:16 am
Moldball Virus in vanilla always works because only Malboro class monsters can use the skill. So the spritesheet has to be already loaded.

Also, by default the Moldball virus formula can only affect generic units, it will have 0% chance to hit special characters.

Cool stuff to know. It's such a strangely unique skill, I wonder why they even put it in :P
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Areli Azumi

So I can make it happen :( or it was difficult for newbie :( I will let other people do this if anyone likes transforming stuff too and thanks for the reply :)

Analogman

Sneaky game designers, always working around their own limitations.  Of course, maybe the PS1 couldn't handle all those different spritesheets in one battle.  Anyway, through all my years of FFT, I have never experienced the Moldball Virus in effect, but if the facts you are saying are true, that makes me wonder... couldn't an advanced version of bloodsuck (that a generic vampire would possess) be made where it ACTUALLY turns you into a vampire?  Perhaps I could make a Zalera/Alpha Bloodsuck counterpart with this setup, or import the zombies from FFTA2 with this effect... :twisted:

Of course, I'd have to find the closest sprite to a zombie somewhere on the Internets :?

Jumza

Quote from: Analogman on February 17, 2015, 09:19:38 pm
couldn't an advanced version of bloodsuck (that a generic vampire would possess) be made where it ACTUALLY turns you into a vampire?

Absolutely, however I doubt that you would want that because it's just about the same as an ability that instantly crystallizes your units in that it forces you to reset the game if you want to keep your guys around :/

Analogman

February 17, 2015, 09:57:52 pm #7 Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 06:36:12 pm by Analogman
Yes, that would be an annoying problem.  However, bloodsuck is located under the status effect screen in FFTPatcher, correct?  If so, is there a way in which to make the force-game over obsolete?  Or is it the fact that you are not in control of your characters and the game is hardcoded to end the battle? I've never had enough experience as I should have with late game abilities like Moldball Virus.  I wonder why... *cough*Orlandu*cough*

P.S. Kanbabrif has had crystallizing abilities before, but I'd need to make a set of Heroes Gloves or ward the vampires away with 108 Gems or whatever I'd use to render the ability ineffective.

EDIT: Bloodsuck doesn't affect special characters?  I really need to do a Vanilla Generic run through the game to study these abilities more.(Or at least patch Orlandu's stats.)

Jumza

Oh, I didn't mean that the game would literally reset. I think that that formula can't hit Ramza or any special units so it couldn't actually be used to end the game. I was just talking about how a unit that you've maybe been training for quite some time is just gone on a random action of the AI, which would be frustrating and would make at least myself reset in order to keep said unit around. But otherwise it doesn't auto end the game :P