• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Arbalist Job Thread (Rad/Ramza Skillset Update!)

Started by Archael, November 20, 2008, 09:02:13 am

Archael

January 26, 2009, 08:50:15 am #100 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "The Damned"Clear Eyes (is Awesome?): "The Arbalist, being a ranged fighter, always keeps a small bottle of medical liquid with which to cure and even prevent blindness." Uses formula 35, where X is 255 and Y is something reasonable like 10 >=, an Inflict Status Code that Cancels Blindness, and affects only the caster.

This is the only thing that I can think of that would be useful for Arbalist alongside all melee classes without being overpowered for other melee classes like Berserk plus something else is.

Curing Blindness is useless in most cases. That skill would never see use, ever.

You can simply take the Quick + Zerk idea and turn it into Haste + Quick.

A Berserked unit, while it does do more damage, is no longer under the player's control and takes more damage.

You seem to be forgetting these two things when you call berserk "broken for other physical jobs".

These two drawbacks will be even more punishing in this patch, where you only control 2-3 people in most battles. Losing control of a single unit won't always be worth the damage bonus / penalty from zerk.

Berserk can be useful, but it's not the omgwowend everything skill.

Zerk + something else on crit only should be fine. Useful on Arbalist because of their Range and Double Attacks, not so useful on other jobs who lack these attributes.

Dokurider

January 26, 2009, 11:07:13 am #101 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dokurider
Quote from: "Voldemort"What? No. This skill's limitation is that you have to be critical to activate it.

Self Zerk + something else

should be good enough

What I was trying to tell you yesterday was that it's not really a nerf as it is for their own good. Rangers have a tendency to get stuck behind obstacles, trying to fire through it and wasting turns. It's not a problem with Archers, as they can fire over stuff, but for gunners and crossbow wielders, it's a problem. If they setup with Don't Move, they can't wander all over the map, and can't get stuck behind stuff.

Then again, I guess it'll just be a "use at your own risk kinda thing.

The Damned

January 26, 2009, 01:18:43 pm #102 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
Quote from: "Voldemort"Curing Blindness is useless in most cases. That skill would never see use, ever.

True, curing Blindness is normally useless because you have Concentrate to auto-counter it and a lot of things don't really have (considerable) evasion to be doubled.

That said, there's no Concentrate in this patch, so perhaps it's not as useless as you think.

I must admit that I am rather unsure of how Berserked units with Bows act, so that's part of the reason why I was hestiant. With regards to Berserk being "broken", I was more trying to communicate (late at night) that Berserk plus something like Haste or Regen would generally be useful for other melee classes because they have more HP. From the constant description of "glass cannon", it seems like Arbalist will have the lowest HP of all (melee) classes to compensate for the fact that only they have Two Swords.

So, yeah, Berserk is less useful for to them than other melee classes due to the reasons you said, though again I can't really remain how Archers act when Berserked. (I'm pretty sure they go towards you and use closest range and don't back away from you and use the max range; this seems pretty bad for glass cannons with Crossbows since they would might go towards the opponent and get destroyed since Crossbows can technically hit an opponent from 1 space away unlike Longbows. I should probably test this with that Berserker class I have....)

Anyway, I don't have a problem with Berserk + whatever; I just don't think that it really fits for the Arbalist on top of being in competition with one of Reliquian's better techniques.

(Also, Berserk units don't automatically take more damage AFAIK. The only statuses that cause more damage are Frog and Chicken, unless you're talking about the Fury thing that Lasting Dawn had planned on implementing.)

P.S. Nice pun.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Dokurider

January 26, 2009, 01:27:41 pm #103 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dokurider
And Sleep, don't forget sleep.

dwib

January 26, 2009, 06:23:46 pm #104 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by dwib
Quote from: "PX_Timefordeath"Haste, berserk, regen and zombie then?

do zombied characters take damage from regen? if so...
i like this A LOT.
A LOOTTTTT

Archael

January 26, 2009, 06:36:51 pm #105 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Except Zombie makes no sense for this job

they have no real magical powers

Haste + Zerk can pass on a physical class, they can just get really pissed off

Zombie, not so much

tithin

January 26, 2009, 06:48:00 pm #106 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by tithin
Quote from: "dwib"
Quote from: "PX_Timefordeath"Haste, berserk, regen and zombie then?

do zombied characters take damage from regen? if so...
i like this A LOT.
A LOOTTTTT

It's a heal, therefore damage. Perhaps alter the flavour text a bit?

The Arbalist injects themself with a deadly poison, that increases his reaction speeds, but guarantees his demise within three rounds.

Add haste, and death sentence.
14:45  @SilentB         ò "Hey, Cosgrove, how come you never married?"
14:45  @SilentB         ò "Because I eat too much meat."
14:46  @Celdia          ò Heresy. No such thing as 'too much meat'
14:47  @Celdia          ò One night with tithin would teach you that.

The Damned

January 26, 2009, 07:17:28 pm #107 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
I would like that if Death Sentence didn't currently make the computer ignore you. Now that I think about, considering what Razele said earlier, it's probably really difficult to fix the computer doing that for Death Sentence and Confusion.

Anyway, Regen doesn't stack with Zombie. Seriously. Zombie will just cancel Regen automatically IIRC.

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Archael

January 26, 2009, 07:31:05 pm #108 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Noooooo

The Damned

January 26, 2009, 07:33:34 pm #109 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
What are you despairing over, Lord Vader?

Archael

January 26, 2009, 08:21:17 pm #110 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
what about .. um...

only useable when critical,  restores 100% of MP? (their skills cost MP... I think all of Mercenaries skills cost MP)

Focus?

ArkDelgato

January 26, 2009, 08:26:07 pm #111 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ArkDelgato
The MP filling skill is like a not broken MP restore, because you need to cover the arbalist until his next turn.

PX_Timefordeath

January 26, 2009, 08:30:53 pm #112 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by PX_Timefordeath
Did the mime called the stone gunners arch?

Archael

January 26, 2009, 08:43:03 pm #113 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "PX_Timefordeath"Did the mime called the stone gunners arch?

what?

The Damned

January 26, 2009, 08:58:05 pm #114 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
Quote from: "Voldemort"what about .. um...

only useable when critical,  restores 100% of MP? (their skills cost MP... I think all of Mercenaries skills cost MP)

Focus?

The three set-up formulas that Skip Sandwich discovered all heal HP only, so there's no way to restrict that ability to just being Critical. Similarly, the only formulas that restore MP don't take status. So no go again I'm afraid.

That said, if we could find a way to restrict it, then I would like that over the Berserk + Haste "Get Pissed!" ability.

tithin

January 26, 2009, 09:38:02 pm #115 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by tithin
Quote from: "The Damned"I would like that if Death Sentence didn't currently make the computer ignore you. Now that I think about, considering what Razele said earlier, it's probably really difficult to fix the computer doing that for Death Sentence and Confusion.

Anyway, Regen doesn't stack with Zombie. Seriously. Zombie will just cancel Regen automatically IIRC.

Aren't both of those fixable with an ASM hack?
14:45  @SilentB         ò "Hey, Cosgrove, how come you never married?"
14:45  @SilentB         ò "Because I eat too much meat."
14:46  @Celdia          ò Heresy. No such thing as 'too much meat'
14:47  @Celdia          ò One night with tithin would teach you that.

The Damned

January 26, 2009, 09:47:45 pm #116 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
Quote from: "tithin"Aren't both of those fixable with an ASM hack?

...You apparently failed to realize that a)I have no idea if they are actually ASM "fixable" or not and that b)that's what the sentence is saying.

Why would I say it might be a problem if I already knew we could just "fix it"?

Besides, those aren't actually "broken" like other stuff we've been fixing with ASM, such as Wall or Oil or Innate Reactions. The "problem" with those is that both things we would want to "fix" in this case are key aspects of the status and, in the case of the former, deal with the likely very complicated issue of AI priority.

dwib

January 26, 2009, 09:55:04 pm #117 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by dwib
Quote from: "Voldemort"Except Zombie makes no sense for this job

they have no real magical powers

Haste + Zerk can pass on a physical class, they can just get really pissed off

Zombie, not so much

well maybe poison instead of zombie and regen. i just liked that whole idea of it making him powerful and killing him.
MP recovery at critical is also good

Archael

January 26, 2009, 11:40:05 pm #118 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "The Damned"
Quote from: "tithin"Aren't both of those fixable with an ASM hack?
if they are actually ASM fixable

changing a status removal formula to MP heal instead of HP heal should be rather simple, if LD wants to use the idea

I don't want to hear "no, sorry" comments from you anymore

suggest useful ideas, not reasons why existing useful ones won't work, especially since you just said you have no idea what is and isn't editable via ASM (fyi: alot is)

PX_Timefordeath

January 27, 2009, 12:01:09 am #119 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by PX_Timefordeath
We need LD to comment and see what he will use soon, or this may never end...