• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:57:03 pm

FFTacText Issues

Started by Larkas, May 02, 2011, 10:12:39 am

Larkas

May 02, 2011, 10:12:39 am Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 10:14:49 am by Larkas
Hello there, guys!

I am making a little modification for my personal use. I am basically applying 1.3's changes to Cloud to a vanilla game, since the guy is pittiably weak in it.

The problem is, I want to do this to the PSP version of the game. While I figured it out what to do in the FFTPatcher department to apply the latest version's changes (and it is working all right), I can't quite solve the problem I'm having with FFTacText. It goes like this:

DTE for BOOT.BIN 5 failed.
The ISO has NOT been modified.

I reckon this is quite a common case with FFTacText .478 while trying to patch WotL. I've seen most people saying to just give up and patch the PSX version instead, but this isn't an option, since I play Melee and Rendezvous all the time with some friends, and this will be something like a fix for our play group.

I was wondering: would an older version of TacText work with patching WotL? If so, where could I find some? I have a very old one lying around, .271, but I don't know of its stability, and unfortunately it doesn't have that extremely useful option of "QuickEdit'.

If I can't find a way to do this, I might just as well note down the changes and send them to the guys, but I wanted to do something a bit more tidy and "complete" =/

MagiusRerecros

Yeah, I've been having the same problem... I think it might have something to do with all of the various bits of Japanese text floating everywhere, but when I went and removed it, I was still getting some errors, and so I eventually just gave up.

You can find any of the fftpatcher/ffttactext/orgASM packs (from .148 to .352) here: http://code.google.com/p/lioneditor/downloads/list?can=1&q=&colspec=Filename+Summary+Uploaded+ReleaseDate+Size+DownloadCount
Move Zig. For great Justice.

Also, Algus sucks up to level 5 donkey balls.

Larkas

May 02, 2011, 02:47:36 pm #2 Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 02:52:42 pm by Larkas
Hmmm, dunno about it. I have japanese installed in my pc, IME included. Of course, it wouldn't be the first time I see a program freaking out with eastern alphabets nevertheless...

About the repo, the newest TacText in those files is indeed .271. Are we missing something? That list is a bit outdated anyways, could there be, by any chance, a newer repository?

MagiusRerecros

AFAIK, it's not the japanese itself so much as the space it takes up.

As far as a newer repository, that's the only one I know about. I mean, I know that there were other versions between .358 and the current one (.478), namely .457 and .466, but I don't know if those files are hosted anywhere at this particular time.
Move Zig. For great Justice.

Also, Algus sucks up to level 5 donkey balls.

Eternal

Try saving your changes as a .ffttext file, close the editor, open the .ffttext file and THEN patch with that. That seems to fix that error sometimes on the PSX version, so it might work in your case as well.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Larkas

@MagiusRerecros
Oh, well, I'll keep looking! At least now I have the version numbers, that should help out!

@Eternal248
Unfortunately, I already tried that, and tried it again now, to no avail.

As a side note, of course it was to be expected, but TacText .271 can't understand .fftext files created by .478.

EDIT: I just found the .466 version in this topic. Alas, it gives the same output as the .478 version.

Do you guys happen to know everything I have to change in order to edit a few abilities and items? I might as well do this manually when I have the time to spare.