• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:37:18 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

FFT Tabletop RPG Discussion

Started by Dokurider, July 24, 2010, 07:26:07 pm

Dokurider

July 24, 2010, 07:26:07 pm Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 05:20:44 am by Dokurider
I have never played a tabletop in my life. I avoided them initially because at the time, they seemed so complicated and frankly, somewhat intimidating. No, I wasn't brainwashed by some Fundamentalists into believing that tabletops are the work of Satan or anything like that. In fact, I didn't even know what a tabletop was until I was 16-17, and wasn't really interested in them until this year. Tabletops started to peak my curiosity when I started reading a review of a particularly bad Tabletop called FATAL.

This review really helped me to understand what a tabletop really is, particularly what to expect from a typical tabletop, because FATAL was everything I feared that a Tabletop was (minus the rape). But this review was calling FATAL a bad tabletop because of it's over complexity and unnecessary rules. It taught me that Tabletops don't have to be reams and reams of rules and dice rolls. Because I was no longer intimidated by tabletops, I decided to indulge my curiosity and look at some good RPGs to compare, so a found a few free ones and read them. They are nowhere near as complicated as I imagined they were. They even looked kinda fun.

But the ones that I picked up didn't really interest me all that much. Nor did the lists of RPGs I looked subsequently looked through. I was really interested in playing in a tabletop, but nothing so far has really interested me enough to bother. I thought to myself, "You know what I'd really like to play? An FFT Tabletop." It hit me, an FFT Tabletop? I had a nerd orgasm just thinking about it. The possibilities for adventure were endless. I had to do this. I was going to make an FFT Tabletop. And over a month later, here are the fruits of my labor.

Now so far, the only thing I really have so far is a list of jobs/abilities for generics and even then, its far from complete. In fact, I have yet to do the Bard/Dancer, Calculator, Dark Knight, and the Mime, as well as the entirety of the Monster classes. I would just like you guys to look it all over and GIVE ME SOME FEEDBACK. Tell me what you like and don't like. Do you think something OP, UP,too overly complex, just plaing unnecessary, or just dumb?

Because I am not restricted by programming or anything, I can do just about anything I want and I tried to exploit that as much as possible while trying to keep things as simple as possible. Because I changed so many classes, I encourage you to look over every class. I placed comments everywhere to help explain the changes I made. You'll find the document attached. Not any more. Outdated. Thanks.

UPDATE: On the advice of Eternal, I decided to create two topics for the Tabletop. This is now a discussion topic. Please keep the discussion in this topic. Thanks.

Pickle Girl Fanboy

Could you link to that review?

Rolling dice and drawing cards got me thinking about random number generators.
How do you make a RNG?  For tabletop rpgs?  For card-based rpgs?  For a cryptosystem?
What are the parts that make a cryptosystem?  How can I test a cryptosystem I make?  Is it possible to disguise a cryptosystem as a card based rpg, or any other sort of game?

On topic:
What are you using to indicate randomness in this game?

Tigerspike

Doku, I am interested in what you are working on.

Some of my friends and I have been talking about making a FFT tabletop game for years.  We have been playing (off and on) for years alternating between D&D rules as well as rules from the Palladium game system.  The Palladium books line owns the rights to Robotech RPGs, and the most recent one inspired me to work on a version of FFT for the Palladium system.

The thing that caught my eye was the way the new book handled character classes.  In the newest iteration you have 5 classes that are then divided into various sub-classes, each with their own unique skills.  Amongst the skills are various hand to hand fighting styles, and in another of the various books published by Palladium, there are martial arts powers that can be selected at various levels of your hand to hand style.  By combining these two elements, I believe a good FFT style game can be created.  If that sounds interesting to you, let me know.
Oh come now. That doesn't even make sense. How can flimsy paper possibly beat the raw density of stone?

Samuraiblackbelt

<JoZ> I'm not Wiz. Even if I were, I wouldn't be narcissistic enough to go under an alt and comment on my own team.

PGF: "You are ignoring this user. Click to see their post."

VampragonLord

just play dnd and add your own homebrew content..... Bard could be bard even! crazy concepts i know <.<

great that you really have the creative juices flowing, just make sure you know more about what youre doing before you go off making classes and inventing rules that seem to make sense, but may be contradictory or pointless or broken.

it sounds pretty awesome, just make sure you dont set up too much work for yourself when there are easier methods.
15:05   slave: consensual slavery is the best thing ever~

Dokurider

Quote from: "Pickle Girl Fanboy"Could you link to that review?

Rolling dice and drawing cards got me thinking about random number generators.
How do you make a RNG?  For tabletop rpgs?  For card-based rpgs?  For a cryptosystem?
What are the parts that make a cryptosystem?  How can I test a cryptosystem I make?  Is it possible to disguise a cryptosystem as a card based rpg, or any other sort of game?

On topic:
What are you using to indicate randomness in this game?

Certainly.

As for creating randomness, on pen and paper, it's just 2d10. I don't think there is anything in FFT that can't be decided by that. However, I'd like to RP online. I'm not sure how many of you would even want to play, but I want to able to play this with you guys. Initially, I wanted to play on the forums themselves, but Ragrias convinced me to use this one program (the name  escapes me at the moment. Game...something) that would allow us to draw up grids and play in real time and everything. Randomness online can be achieved with this.

SentinalBlade

http://www.fftrealm.com/content/fftinto.shtml

Anyone heard of this? There have been so many D20 conversions, and actual normal RPG elements in adaptions, it was nice to see something that looks like it is trying to keep the tactics part of Final Fantasy Tactics alive...i haven't gotten more than a few seconds to read through the documents though =(

Pickle Girl Fanboy

WARNING: Disturbing perversions!
I mean, imagine opening a door to find your mother and sister raping each other with pink strap-ons. And you then realize that you've never seen their bare asses before, because you're pretty sure you would have remembered the swastikas tattooed there. And upon noticing you, they grin wickedly and give you the finger in unison.
^PGF quietly adds this scenario to list of sexual fantasies... but it has to be someone else's mother and sister.  Like this guy I knew in High School, Andy something-or-othe, his mom was Korean, and holy crap did she look good in a bikini.  Ditto his older sister.  She cooked really awesome Korean food too.

Anyways, if I'm gonna play an FFT type tabletop rpg, it has to have pieces we move around on a board, or, even better, a board with customizable height variations and overhangs and stuff like that.  A chess/FFT hybrid.  Need a board bigger than 8x8.  How would you determine each classes move type?

VampragonLord

just base move of the class?
15:05   slave: consensual slavery is the best thing ever~

Pickle Girl Fanboy

In chess, each piece has it's own way of moving and attacking.
Rooks move and attack in the four cardinal directions, no matter how far away they are, but they can't move through enemies or allies.
Bishops are the same as Rooks, but they do everything diagonally.
Pawns can only move forward, one space at a time, except on their first move, when they can move one or two spaces.  They can only attack diagonally forward.  They cannot move through enemies or allies.
Queens are Bishops + Rooks.
Knights move in an L shaped pattern.  Look it up on wikipedia, they can explain it better than I ever can.
Kings can move and attack to any adjacent space.

Know, if you wanted to make a hybrid fft/chess, you'd break every movement and attack type into something fft related.  Battles would have to be 5x5, because keeping track of 16 individual units, each with their own unique attributes, is difficult.

Zaen

I remember making an FFT-ish based tabletop game. It was very baseline with just HP values, attack damage, defense percentages, and attack patters and movement. I figured I'd add in defense as a way of balancing out HP values easier. I played a few games with it in Psychology during the end of the year and I thought it was pretty polished. Sadly, I lost all information I had saved for it. It included stuff like Monks having a Spin Fist option, Samurais getting a sweep attack, and Summoner and Wizard having different types of AoEs. I even made the Priest Healing only. That was fun...
"Oh, God!! The Hokuten!!" ~Guard, Sand Rat Cellar

Dokurider

Just thought I'd give an update on my progress.

- Revamped the entire leveling/growth system. Instead of being a dividend system, it is now a simple addition system.

- Growth no longer varies from class to class, but from whether the class is Physical, Magical or Mixed.

Physical classes growth
HPC 300
MPC 50
PAC 80
MAC 60

Magical classes growth
HPC 100
MPC 150
PAC 60
MAC 80

MIxed classes growth
HPC 200
MPC 100
PAC 70
MAC 70

If you level up in a physical class for 55+ Levels, you will gain +1 PA and higher HP, but lose -1 MA and lower MP, visa versa with Magical classes. Leveling up as a Mixed Class will gain you nothing, but you will lose nothing either. Oh, and I've taken great pains to insure that this growth system is 100% Munchkin Proof. It should be impossible to min-max your stats. I invite anyone to try.

- Tried lowering overall damage output by lowering Attack stats across the board. Highest Attack Stat you can level up to is 12 PA/MA. I can't really speak to whether this is a success or not. My initial workups indicate that damage output is still out of control, which is why I'm toying with the prospect of introducing defense stats.

Things still to do:

- Come up with a rough draft of weapons and attach WP to them

- Come up with a complete list of classes with their respective skills, along with their stats.

- Actually test out the weapons and see what numbers are generated

- Implement Defense stats

- Get to work on evasion

Attached is the new growth system

gojoe

So for the board I guess you'd have to label each square with it's own height or depth.
I never learn from my mistakes.

Aensland

Quote from: "Dokurider"I have never played a tabletop in my life. I avoided them initially because at the time, they seemed so complicated and frankly, somewhat intimidating.
I sorta grew up with AD&D - there was a coterie of seniors in high school who had all the rulebooks and stuff, the whole shebang - and tabletops didn't really strike me as that different: kinda like us pen-and-paper RPGers except they had funky miniatures to paint (I base my observations on another group, who played W40K). All you need is a good DM and - for consistency's sake I guess - a decent ruleset.

Good luck with this, but for me tabletop gaming's not an option anymore. What I'm interested most is in a more open FFT engine; something that can generate random maps. That, plus larger scale battles and a little balancing of the classes, and I'd be one happy programmer. Been puttering around stuff like RPGMaker but haven't really found anything I could work with towards this. Oh well.

Neuromancer

Actually I've been working on something like this on and off for almost two years... as soon as I can get my notes together (yeah, I actually have a manuscript of this stuff), I'll post it here. In the meantime, here's a sample of how Unit cards look, for your viewing pleasure:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Dokurider

Quote from: "Neuromancer"Actually I've been working on something like this on and off for almost two years... as soon as I can get my notes together (yeah, I actually have a manuscript of this stuff), I'll post it here. In the meantime, here's a sample of how Unit cards look, for your viewing pleasure:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

That's pretty cool looking. I definitely don't have a taste for graphical design at all, so I don't know what I'm going when it comes down to graphical work. Oh well...

Anywho, I came to give an update on my progress:

- Currently, I have a Freelancer class, a class that allows you to have any primary and secondary skillset you want (except MIme) as the starting class. I felt it would be a good starting class since you can't equip any item you want like the Onion Knight can. However, a chat on IRC convinced me that the Onion Knight eating the Freelancer class wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to happen provided that the stats were bad enough. So out with the Freelancer, and back in with Basic Skill, which will be both a magical and physical skillset, fitting for the starter class.

- I have no idea what to do with Mimes. I always thought that Mimes were too difficult to use to be effective. However, Mimes have to be difficult to use. If they are like they are in other FF games, they can utter RUIN the game. Currently, no one uses Mimes except to use Dance/Sing and the occasional Summon Bombing. It will be a challenge to tweak this without making Mimes useless or OP. So challenging, in fact, that I'm going to put Mimes pretty low on the list of things to do.

- My monster helper classes, the Rider and the Beast Master, don't have a lot of elaboration on them yet. Mostly because I have done nothing for Monsters yets. Just know this, the Ride mechanic is getting a promotion, and along with Monster Skill is becoming a Skillset, as opposed to a Support and universal to everyone.

I'd love to keep working on the classes, but I need to move on to actually creating the rules for the game. The rules for FFT:Tabletop will be made to emulate FFT as much as possible, so that some one who is familar with FFT can just sit down and be able to play just fine.

[attachment=1:ripua6r8]FFTClassesv2.doc[/attachment:ripua6r8]

[attachment=0:ripua6r8]Job Tree.xls[/attachment:ripua6r8]

Neuromancer

I could be of assistance with the graphical design, provided I get the gist of how will mechanics work in your version.

Dokurider

Quote from: "Neuromancer"I could be of assistance with the graphical design, provided I get the gist of how will mechanics work in your version.

That would be nice, but could you be a little more specific?

Anyways, one of major goals was to make terrain worth paying attention to. So I came up with a list of possible terrain effects as well as some Weather Effects and Statuses

[attachment=2:2twn8n0u]TerrainandWeatherBonuses.doc[/attachment:2twn8n0u]

[attachment=1:2twn8n0u]StatusList.doc[/attachment:2twn8n0u]

[attachment=0:2twn8n0u]Boots.doc[/attachment:2twn8n0u]

Celdia

Interesting seeing this thread active again. I'm a huge fan of tabletop games myself (been actively DMing D&D 3rd Edition for ten years now) and seeing this again made me think of something I saw a long time ago and rolled across again recently. Its hardly started as far as game systems go but I found it amusing so I'll share.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0