• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:54:52 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Can't wait :_:

Started by Hyraldelita, December 04, 2015, 05:33:45 pm

Hyraldelita

i only post because i want to show theme, people never forget ^^

I mean after all the effort, i think is nice if someone ask one in a while and live up the forum even if a bit no?^^

I know it's not really needed, but if i was theme i would like people to get interested in what they are doing :)

Mine will never be a complain about time or anything else, i'm planning to do something that will take some of my time, for them after they finish this game for us :)

KingUrameshi

This is still the most anticipated game of the year for me.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You have allies... Friends that would risk their lives, and I am one of them.

Tempest

Most anticipated for myself as well... And that alone is insane. When you have people spending loads of money for development of big releases like star ocean and final fantasy XV and a mod to a game from the 90's has that beat... This staff is definitely doing something right.

3lric

We will get along just fine ;)
  • Modding version: PSX

Nyzer

QuoteThis staff is definitely doing something right.

I'd say that "something" is not getting so caught up in trying to reinvent the wheel that you forget it was a wheel in the first place, ending up with a result that is incapable of rolling. There's a fine line between innovation and completely changing what people loved about the game - a line that a lot of game developers seem to blast on by at the speed of light these days.

Most folks who love classic FFT aren't going to be impressed by the Laws of FFTA or the *cough* "plot" of FFTA2 in which your protagonist's story is literally just "do what the fuck ever until you fill enough pages in your journal to reactivate your Grimoire and go home".
Yeah, FFTA2 had some great side stories but goddamn was the main plot lacking. I feel like you could have chosen literally any other character in that story to be the protagonist and ended up with a better result. Mass Effect released less than a month later with a fully customizable protagonist and did a better job of making them a major part of the story. Dragon Age did the same a couple years after that, too. Hell, Chrono Trigger gave you a mute in '95 and still did a better job. At no point in those games did you feel like some dude derping around "just 'cuz".
They want something that's actually close to the game they love. And that's what we want, too.

Davi o Rei

Still waiting for GOTY... :mrgreen:

ricelover7

October 04, 2016, 04:40:30 pm #67 Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 05:44:01 pm by Xifanie
Really excited by this project, I had to sign up just to post!
Also, I'm not too familiar with how mods like this work. Is each new chapter a standalone thing? Would items and character levels/names carry over to newly released chapters?

3lric

Everything will carry over from chapter to chapter, so no standalone. you will however have to start over one the re-release is out since many many new mechanics have been added.

And thank you for joining to share your enthusiasm. May I ask how you heard about Jot5?

ricelover7

I found my way here from hearing about 1.3 awhile ago on gamefaqs when I was replaying FFT for its story. Recently listened to RPG OSTs on YouTube and the nostalgia train led me back here again, luckily :p Ive played a lot of RPGs as a kid, but the stories and characters were way too complex for me. Its exciting to replay them for their stories because its like playing them for the first time again. Jot5 sounds so well done being a complete overhaul its a dream come true really. The last time I was this excited by a fan project was the Mother 3 English translation and that ended up being one of my favorite games of all time.

KingUrameshi

Quote from: ricelover7 on October 05, 2016, 04:44:47 pm
I found my way here from hearing about 1.3 awhile ago on gamefaqs when I was replaying FFT for its story. Recently listened to RPG OSTs on YouTube and the nostalgia train led me back here again, luckily :p Ive played a lot of RPGs as a kid, but the stories and characters were way too complex for me. Its exciting to replay them for their stories because its like playing them for the first time again. Jot5 sounds so well done being a complete overhaul its a dream come true really. The last time I was this excited by a fan project was the Mother 3 English translation and that ended up being one of my favorite games of all time.

Do yourself a favor and really read the brave story when you start on Jot5. A lot of information to bridge the gap between vanilla and the new game. Maybe brush up on the brave story in vanilla while your at it.

Valus

I just wanted to join the forum and let Elric and the other creators of this mod know that they did an amazing job.

I started the mod about a month ago and finally finished it yesterday. I heard about it through another forum discussing FFT mods (which I didn't know was even a thing) and JotF was brought up. I admit the concept sounded silly at first, but after diving in I was thoroughly impressed. Not only is the gameplay challenging and fun, but I was very pleased with how believable the plot and characters were. You guys showed a lot of care for the world and characters and it shows. So really, great job!

After reading through the forum I'm happy to hear that the project is still alive and on its way, even though I'll lose my save file.

Couple of thoughts/questions:

1) Glad Ramza's dialogue may be addressed in the re-release. Sometimes it did feel jarring and out-of-character.
2) Glad that the JP system is being addressed in the re-release. I really want to explore other jobs like Blue Mage, Redguard, Samurai, and so on but I didn't even get close to unlocking them, especially since the base jobs are so useful.
3) I keep reading about three secrets sprinkled around the forum. I was only able to find two of them, can anyone give some hint as to where the third one is?
4) The mod is brutal and unforgiving in the beginning before you learn some abilities. I read that the first Beastmaster battle was already nerfed, but are there plans to make the early game a bit easier?
5) Speaking of Redguard, what are they exactly anyway? Some kind of Red Mage?
6) How far along is Chapter 2/the re-release? I saw the Chapter 2 progress log thread but the OP hasn't been updated in nearly a year so I'm not sure where it's at right now.

3lric

Quote from: Valus on October 19, 2016, 03:11:34 pm
I just wanted to join the forum and let Elric and the other creators of this mod know that they did an amazing job.

Thank you :)

I started the mod about a month ago and finally finished it yesterday. I heard about it through another forum discussing FFT mods (which I didn't know was even a thing) and JotF was brought up. I admit the concept sounded silly at first, but after diving in I was thoroughly impressed. Not only is the gameplay challenging and fun, but I was very pleased with how believable the plot and characters were. You guys showed a lot of care for the world and characters and it shows. So really, great job!

We do our best, if you enjoyed it at present, then the re-release will blow your fucking mind :)

1) Glad Ramza's dialogue may be addressed in the re-release. Sometimes it did feel jarring and out-of-character.

Indeed, I removed the swearing that Ramza did in a few instances, and in general much of the original dialogue has been reworked by myself and Angel (as well as reworks to every single scene, from small to outright remaking the scene)

2) Glad that the JP system is being addressed in the re-release. I really want to explore other jobs like Blue Mage, Redguard, Samurai, and so on but I didn't even get close to unlocking them, especially since the base jobs are so useful.

Yeah, the JP and EXP formulas have been fixed up to be more friendly to player (We are also going to release a Jot5: Feelgood Edition, that will be geared towards more casual players as well)

3) I keep reading about three secrets sprinkled around the forum. I was only able to find two of them, can anyone give some hint as to where the third one is?

I'm not sure what you mean, can you be more specific? Maybe just use a spoiler tag or something?

4) The mod is brutal and unforgiving in the beginning before you learn some abilities. I read that the first Beastmaster battle was already nerfed, but are there plans to make the early game a bit easier?

Well, the Feelgood Edition will help a bit with that, but aside from the Beastmaster Battle, I've not seen too many complaints about it being too difficult outside a couple of the random battles that are being fixed for the re-release

5) Speaking of Redguard, what are they exactly anyway? Some kind of Red Mage?

Yes, Redguard is a Red Mage, we went with the Vanilla FFT naming convention of Priest = White Mage, Wizard = Black Mage, etc.

6) How far along is Chapter 2/the re-release? I saw the Chapter 2 progress log thread but the OP hasn't been updated in nearly a year so I'm not sure where it's at right now.

The only reason that that thread hasn't been posted in is because all of my posts go into the other threads regarding the re-release, since that is what we are currently working on (and making amazing headway recently, more to come soon)

Nyzer

QuoteI really want to explore other jobs like Blue Mage, Redguard, Samurai, and so on but I didn't even get close to unlocking them, especially since the base jobs are so useful.

Well, bear in mind that you are only in Chapter 1, after all! Trust me, with the sheer amount of battles we have planned for the main storyline and all the Marks, you won't have an issue with unlocking jobs the deeper in you go.

QuoteThe mod is brutal and unforgiving in the beginning before you learn some abilities. I read that the first Beastmaster battle was already nerfed, but are there plans to make the early game a bit easier?

We're using the Soldier Office hack in the rerelease, and one of the things it can do is allow the player to purchase monsters. No specific monster breed will be available in two separate locations, and you'll only be able to get one monster per town in Ch. 1, but Lionel Castle's purchasable monster is going to be a basic yellow Chocobo. We're intending to have the Chocobo be priced so that players can just manage to afford one when they first hit the World Map.

You'll sacrifice some gold you might have otherwise used on equipment and consumable items, and you'll sacrifice some of the EXP gain for your Five by swapping in a Chocobo for one of them - but, if you choose to go that route, you'll have a strong support unit right out of the gate (literally) with Choco Cure & Choco Esuna, at a time when all your other support options are all still single-target and mildly expensive. Plus, you can mount it. It's actually got double the Move of Dante.

And it won't be the only convenient monster to purchase in Chapter 1, either...

QuoteSpeaking of Redguard, what are they exactly anyway? Some kind of Red Mage?

Basically, but a bit beefier. Red Mages are good, but not great - the Redguard is still pretty great, just not quite as specialized. Think of it as the generic unit's version of Ramza's Duke job.

Valus

Thank you for the responses! I'm stoked, can't wait to play it!

As for the secrets I heard about, I'll spoiler tag them here:

I meant the abilities like Ikanagi Shock and Shadow Flare that you can learn. I heard somewhere that there's another ability or something "secret" like those in Chapter 1 but haven't been able to figure out what it is. I was hoping you could give a hint as to what it is, if there is anything at all?

Also, do you guys have a paypal account or something we are able to donate to in order to support your efforts?

3lric

Any donations should be made to charities specializing in crohns disease, ulcerative colitis or alzheimers disease.

The first time you fight the final boss of ch1

Guru

A hint from elric!? :shock: Blasphemy! 

Glad to hear progress is going well. Hype :v/:

RJ Cid

It's been an arduous road you guys have been travelling to complete the re-release and Ch.2. Thanks for all the hard work. Any new screen shots you could post to get us hyped---> :shock:?

Maybe post a crazy screen shot and refuse to offer any information, leaving the rest of the forum to speculate? It would give us something to talk about.

KingUrameshi

October 25, 2016, 02:50:52 pm #78 Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 05:55:29 pm by KingUrameshi

Had to edit this, this is much funnier. Boats & Hoes son!

Nyzer

QuoteMaybe post a crazy screen shot and refuse to offer any information, leaving the rest of the forum to speculate? It would give us something to talk about.