• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 12:55:40 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

pSX 1.13 Bug

Started by Xifanie, September 26, 2014, 09:35:49 am

Xifanie

So, I was debugging my hack this morning, and noticed something REALLY strange going on. I had half-words stored as 0xFFFF when breakpointing, and barely above 0 otherwise.

After 2 hours of trying to figure it out, I finally realized this:

The immediate in slti/sltiu is SIGNED in non-breakpoint mode (normal), and UNSIGNED in breakpoint mode.

I was checking if a value was less than 0xFFFF and setting it to 0xFFFF if it wasn't. At least, that was until I remembered that it would actually check if the value was under -0x0001. So in breakpoint mode everything was running as I wrongly expected.

If something isn't working as expected when breakpointing, that might be why.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Choto

what exactly defines breakpoint mode from non-breakpoint mode. Is it when code execution is stopped already? Or when you set a breakpoint ON a sltiu command?

I'm sure it's a simple and probably obvious answer, but I'd like to be sure :P

Xifanie

If ANYTHING is listed inside the breakpoint window, you are in breakpoint mode.
Even if it never ends up breaking on something, it will "corrupt" all slti/sltiu into unsigned.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

Glain

Isn't it supposed to be signed for slti and unsigned for sltiu?  If it's always signed in non-breakpoint mode, that sounds like it would break sltiu.  You'd think that would lead to more odd behavior playing the game normally...
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Xifanie

No, the immediate is signed. What CAN be set as signed/unsigned are the registers.
0xFFFFFFC0 will be either -40 or 4294967232 if you use slt or sltu. Just like when using addiu r2, r2, 0xFFFF, it actually subtracts 1 to r2. While it doesn't seem to affect FFT much, I've gotten values zeroed out in Valkyrie Profile entering the main menu.

Glain

Okay, I forgot how weird sltiu was...  I had to re-read the documentation a bunch of times.

Apparently, it sign-extends the immediate value, then treats it as an unsigned integer for the comparison (which is weird).  So if 0xffff was the immediate, it would be sign-extended to 0xffffffff and be treated as 65535?  The result in that case would always be true (1) unless the register being compared also contained 65535...
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown