• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:51:06 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Modding - Adding new units and class customization

Started by scorpiova, March 13, 2017, 03:04:26 pm

scorpiova

Hey guys - I am in the process of modding my WOTL ISO. I have successfully imported unit/wildface sprites/portraits for my characters, I have also successfully imported my sprites for battle as well. I am using the speed up patch as well. So all of that owkrs and my game runs.

It feels awesome to have gotten this far! And I have to say thank you to the modders who have posted a variety of instructions on the forums.

So going forward here is what I am also trying to do.

I have changed The classes/sprites and names of Lavian, Alicia, and Ladd (they simply have different starting classes that are classes with new sprites). But have successfully changed their names to Tifa, Rydia, and Vincent. Which is awesome. I would like for them to have unique sprites - but based on what I have read I don't think there is enough free sprites to replace in the WOTL version - but that is fine.

So what I want to do is add additional units through the game that will join the game. I am not  concerned with story details - so please don't rant at me about that.

1. I would like to make Olan join the party after the Goug city battle in which you help him. (I might set this up for later if it makes more sense story-wise or just do it there). So in FFTPATCHER, do I just check his status to "join after event" to trigger him joining the party permanently? I do know his sprites/portraits and everything work fine in battle/status screen so that is not an issue.

2. I would like to add Aeris to the game from FF7 - I replaced Balma's sprites/portrait to Aeris from the wonderful sprites listed on this website :). So my plan right now is to add the new unit to the battle in San Dighos (im probably getting the town wrong) in which Cloud fights thieves. So I would like to add her unit to the combat and then trigger for her to join afterward if she survives. Again, is it just a matter of adding the unit to the battle in FFTPATCHER and triggering "join after event"? Or is there something more I need to do beyond sprites/portraits/names change?

3. I am replacing Boko with an Assassin copy of Celia (I will re-name her and try to set her up as a third sister type thing). SO in replacing Boko, and his name to a name for the new Assassin, is there anything else people think I need to do? In looking at this character - it makes me think I can add many units from throughout the game. Anyhow isame as above, is there anything missing I need to do?

4. Can I change a classes name? I know I can change skill loadouts, but I also tried to change some class names (tried to change Mystic to Red Mage for example) But - when I did the name change, when a unit dies in battle - if a crystal drops the game crashes (no crash if a chest drops). So I am assuming that the name change disrupts the code around skills and causes the crash. Any thoughts on the possiblility of changing class names OR adding custom classes to the game without crashes?

For the name changes I do know how to use the text editor, and have done so without issue.

So is there anything people can think of that I need to do to make these modifcations work? Mostly number 2 as the Aeris unit would be a completely new unit.

So for all the questions, and any help or guidance is appreciated.

• Modding version: PSX & WotL