• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:33:30 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Need Opinions on Player Preference for a New Mod

Started by Lorden Cain, February 04, 2018, 06:22:55 pm

Lorden Cain

February 04, 2018, 06:22:55 pm Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 04:23:55 am by Lorden Cain
Hi, Lorden's back! After 22 months, that is.
Hope somebody still remembered me even after appearing for just a couple of weeks the first time I registered here.

Anyways, here's a question for the WotL players:

Do you prefer to have a specific job class to only be able to effectively defeat a specific monster family? Or not?

For example, when you met a group of dragons and hydras, you should deploy a Dragoon to annihilate them easily. If you use other job, let's say Geomancer, they'll be having a hard time defeating those dragons. But, still beatable the hard way, though. So in foresight, you'll have to change job classes frequently to adapt to the future events.

I am asking because, obviously, for me that's somewhat fun. But, I feel it is very troublesome so I would like the opinion of the people who will be playing my mod in the future.

A little background in the mod:
I've changed every generic and special job/ability/items/skillset names and descriptions. Added a few monsters, very few. Changed generic job sprites. Already done most of it that I can actually upload it within this week. However, I am also changing the events. I am 1% done with the events. I have a video of the opening event, I'll post it if you want to look at it. I changed everyone's names and some of their personalities and histories.

Being my first mod, I really pour my heart onto it. So if you have opinions regarding the problem mentioned above, I would really be grateful. And as a side note, please stay on the topic. I know the limitations of WotL modding so please don't say something like what I want isn't doable or not.

So, yeah! Pour out all your opinions. :D

So, yeah! I'm actually not famous here so you might want to skip this one. However, I just want to clear something out for those people who I've conversed with that might still remember me. I don't want to look like someone who just shows then poof! The first topic I posted here in ffhacktics way back involves about the unravelling of my nearly-finished mod. I also asked for opinions on the matter and took it to heart. But then, my laptop died a brutal death. I wasn't able to salvage anything from it. Needless to say, my nearly-finished mod was gone. :cry: Fast forward to November 2017, I've bought a new laptop. That heartbreak would have stopped me from doing everything all over again but the "Motivate" status instilled upon me by Angel/Toshiko hasn't been removed yet. So here's a new nearly-finished mod. I hope nothing unfortunate would happen again. Pray with me.  ;)
  • Modding version: WotL
<Exdeath> : So, you offer your life in exchange for theirs?
<Kain Highwind> : Of course not, I offer yours!

Nyzer

No.

One specific Job being the only one able to effectively fight a monster family isn't fun. Players who haven't unlocked it due to preferring other jobs are screwed; players who haven't unlocked it across all their characters are going to be fighting tediously un-fun uphill battles; etc.

In a more general sense - monsters immune to magic but weak to physical, vice versa, monsters only taking damage from specific elements (at a point when a wide variety of elemental weaponry is available) - it's an interesting enough idea. Of course, given the inability to scope out the enemy team before the fight, it might force the player to reload saves just to get through, so it's still not that great for FFT.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Lorden Cain

February 05, 2018, 12:26:34 am #2 Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 06:34:49 am by Lorden Cain
Thanks, nyzer!

Just what I was looking for. Okay! I think I'll drop that idea and take your advice on the matter.
  • Modding version: WotL
<Exdeath> : So, you offer your life in exchange for theirs?
<Kain Highwind> : Of course not, I offer yours!

Leon

It will be good or bad, imo, dependable of application.

The game alredy counts with many kinds of tactical advantage, promoting better or worse effectiveness. Some scenarios are easier if you bring some jobs along, although Vanilla never cripple the players for their pre-made choices like the party arranging. (Vanilla is too easy, by the way)
So as long as you dont create any kind of "nemesis" system, in wich the game turns into a puzzle of what units you will bring or not, youre adding something, without breaking anything.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Nyzer

Actually, vanilla does screw you over in some ways. Most infamously when Ramza is thrown up against Weigraf in a 1v1 during a multi-battle sequence.

But aside from a few broken fights like that, there really aren't any major tactical battles in vanilla. You win everything with the same basic tactics from start to finish. The game's much more about unlocking and using the best skills/equipment than about changing tactics to suit your fights.

• Modding version: Other/Unknown

Leon

Oh yeah, that fight! haha
They seem to have lost a hand, ocasionally. I turned Ramza into monk for life after that haha

Well...  you can have some advantage for example, bringing ninja, dragoon or archer  to a scenario with cliffs. Or a wizard to scenarios with closed structures.
Its the same where there are monsters with elemental weakness. These "advantages" imo, simply dont scales to the point where the player have to stop and consider it. In other words, it exists, but wont matter after all
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL