• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:02:09 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Trouble with Sprite-Swapping (it looked good UNTIL...)

Started by Saigas, August 09, 2008, 06:53:00 pm

Saigas

Alright, so I went and test-swapped the SERIA and LEDY files for a test run using the Miang and Miluda sprites for Alicia and Lavian.

Those were fine, which I assume can be owed to the fact that those files are never used.

So I went and also swapped out the sprite used for Malak's death scene, replacing it with the spiky-haired warrior for Rad.  Along with that, I swapped out Rafa's Guest sprite with the Red Mage sprite for Lezales.  In the first scene everything seemed to be going well (at least as far as Rad goes).

But then when I got out to the battle things got a little screwy.

As you can see, Rad seems to be using the other.spr spriteset for some reason, thus becoming a glitchy mess of chickens and such (even though I edited the ENTD to use the swapped out Malak sprite).  In addition to this, Lezales still appears as Rafa, even though I swapped out the sprite with a Red Mage.  And I double-checked to make sure I assigned the right one in the ENTD and I did.

EDIT: I also patched all necessary files using FFTPatcher, and followed the steps in Lydyn's guides to the letter.

Can anyone help with this?

trickstardude7

August 09, 2008, 06:57:32 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by trickstardude7
hmm i thought it was just me because the same thing happened to me but i noticed when i was importing the sprite for rad it asked if i wanted to add zero's because the sprite was too small i think that could be it  :(

Saigas

August 09, 2008, 07:07:13 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Saigas
Hmm, interesting.  I didn't get anything about adding zeroes, though.  When I swapped out the sprites it just gave me the typical "file is bigger, file will be truncated" bit.  And I figured that since Malak's death sprite and Rafa's Guest sprite are complete sprites that wouldn't matter cuz it gives that message pretty much everytime you swap a sprite.

Are there any other irregularities that you might have noticed?  I think it might have been something wrong with editing battle.bin or the ENTD files, but I can't be certain because I know I did just as the guide instructed.

EDIT: BTW, I did this with a non v1.3 ISO just to be on the safe side, since I know that patching an ISO already patched with v1.3 has bad side-effects.

Zozma

August 09, 2008, 07:44:23 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
no thats not the problem, you have too many different sprites in the same scene, there is a limit of 9 different sprites (including the ones that appear after the battle (delita, chocobo, and ovelia)

in my scene i had to change the enemy chemist to an archer to reduce the sprite number by one.

get what im saying?

Ramza, Rad, Gafgarion,Agrias, Alicia, Lavian,male archer, male chemist, Rafa
= there is 9 right there, not even including ovelia, delita, and chocobo

see? the map can hold a higher number of units, like 12 but the map also can only hold the 9 different sprites

(also you used celia and lede's second sprites for these customs? do their arms attach right? those are both type 1 sprites miluda and miang. but celia and lede are type 2)
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Saigas

August 09, 2008, 07:53:57 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Saigas
Ah, I see.

So does that also explain why Rafa still looks like Rafa instead of the swapped Red Mage sprite?

I understand in this case that I need to go ahead and change up the enemy sprites, but and that should fix up the change in Rad.  But will that also fix Lezales or would there be too many new sprites to support anyway since Lavian and Alicia no longer share the same sprite?

Zozma

August 09, 2008, 07:59:18 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
no, you used the wrong rafa, there are two rafas the one named "rafa' is the guest version check the other version which is H79.spr

also you might still have complications after the battle when the time comes for the princess abduction scene.

Saigas

August 09, 2008, 08:07:01 pm #6 Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 08:29:29 pm by Saigas
Crap.  I totally assumed (EDIT: 'h79' would be the guest and 'rafa' was the main Rafa).   :P   Bad on my part.

Thanks a ton for all of the help.

Zozma

August 09, 2008, 08:19:03 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
no i think you're right i think 79 is the version that joins you, but i still think you probably mixed up the job you put in that map.

Saigas

August 09, 2008, 08:28:27 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Saigas
Oops, typo in that last post.  I meant 'h79' as guest and 'rafa' as join.  I thought it would be like that on account of the way that Malak was set up in a similar fashion.  I'll check it out from all possible angles.  I'll post any more problems I have after working on the stuff we've mentioned.

Thanks a ton, once again.

Zozma

August 09, 2008, 08:37:40 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
so vanya's lovely warrior sprite fits in malak's sprite? thats good to know since i am having trouble finding things that fit into that crappy malak sprite.

Saigas

August 09, 2008, 08:41:48 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Saigas
So far as I can tell, it works pretty well, actually.  I have a new problem now, though.

What are the specifics regarding the differences between Type 1 and Type 2?  Because I'm getting the dislocated arms effect with the Miluda and Miang sprites being used by Alicia and Lavian imported over SERIA and LEDY.  Is there a way to specify that the sprite must use Type 2 instead of Type 1, and vice versa?

Zozma

August 09, 2008, 08:47:36 pm #11 Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 08:51:42 pm by Zozma
there doesn't seem to be a way to change that yet, tho zodiac has mentioned it being possible in the future to change sprite type. and obviously changing that is merely a value stored elsewhere...

for now you need to find out what sprites are type 1 and 2 that you can use. you can find a list of all normal sprites and what type they are in a list below all the custom sprites in the sprite section of the main page of this site.

Saigas

August 09, 2008, 08:51:29 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Saigas
Alright, well, that's good to know then.  I didn't think about that when I imported the sprites, so I suppose I will need to look into some stuff then.  And I copied the list, too.  Thanks for the heads up on that.

EDIT: BTW, you were right about the Rafa sprite.

Vanya

August 09, 2008, 09:40:50 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Note that Spiky Warrior is designed to go over the Generic Male Squire. Having to pad with zero's if you place it in a larger sprite won't have any adverse effects, but truncation can screw up some of the animations.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Zozma

August 09, 2008, 09:43:29 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
was malak a truncation if used with warrior? that butthead has the smallest sprite of all full human sprites it seems. friggin malak
(im going to dummy malak and rafa out of the playable character list mwahaha)

Vanya

August 09, 2008, 09:49:13 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
I'm just going to give them useful jobs.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Zozma

August 09, 2008, 09:54:10 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
im just going to cut the skillsets in half so i can use the skills for other things.
and make them only guests appearing where they normally do for story purpose.

once i have a way to edit effect files hydragon pit will be a watera spell, and then ill have a level 2 earth spell and a level 3 gravity spell.

Saigas

August 09, 2008, 10:01:24 pm #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Saigas
Quote from: "Vanya"Note that Spiky Warrior is designed to go over the Generic Male Squire. Having to pad with zero's if you place it in a larger sprite won't have any adverse effects, but truncation can screw up some of the animations.

Are there any specific animations you can think of?  And if it becomes necessary, how do I pad with zeroes?

Zozma

August 09, 2008, 10:04:14 pm #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
it should tell you that the file is smaller and then prompt the question, just as it would for truncation. but it looks like you already have the file inserted.. did it ask you at the time?

i use cd prog for insertion because it allows a little more to go in, but it doesnt ask those questions. you can get cdprog from the main site here.

Vanya

August 09, 2008, 10:11:07 pm #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
I don't really know exactly which. i guess it depends on how big a difference there is between the Spiky Warrior and the .SPR file you're trying to insert it into. Why in the world did square decide to compress half of each .SPR? Freaking pain in the ass.
¯\(°_0)/¯