• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:58:38 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Arena battle videos and discussion

Started by PX_Timefordeath, August 04, 2010, 06:49:51 pm

FFMaster

August 09, 2011, 02:43:44 am #660 Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 02:44:35 am by FFMaster
Martial Arts increases some ability damage even if you have a weapon (eg, steals, Wave Fist, Dash, Throw Stone). This was present in vanilla.

Grand Cross deals PA*WP damage using the equipped weapon's element. For example, Equipping Coral Sword will make it Water elemental, equipping Excalibur will make it Holy. I can't remember if the Sword only requirement is still there. Either way, for next version, you can mix and match, like using Windslash Bow for Wind elemental Grand Cross. The only restriction will be that the range will stay at 1.

EDIT: It heals when the user also absorbs the element. For example, Excalibur/Chameleon Robe.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

The Damned

(Sigh. I should try to go bed.)

Fff...I just realized that I didn't around going over the Pole thing Monday like I said I would. Dammit. Oh well, I'll do it when I get up, though today is already looking busy enough.

Before I do that, though.

Quote from: FFMaster on August 09, 2011, 02:43:44 amGrand Cross deals PA*WP damage using the equipped weapon's element. For example, Equipping Coral Sword will make it Water elemental, equipping Excalibur will make it Holy. I can't remember if the Sword only requirement is still there. Either way, for next version, you can mix and match, like using Windslash Bow for Wind elemental Grand Cross. The only restriction will be that the range will stay at 1.

Provided you're not counting Katana, then, no, it doesn't have the restriction anymore. I'm pretty sure someone's Fire Absorb team used Asura to Grand Cross since Paladins can equip Katana.

...I just realized something. Hmm....

*begins thinking about another team*
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Wiz

Got tired yesterday putting in teams. Will finish putting them in today, so tomorrow I'll have matches up by then at the very latest XD

zxpr0jk

I've started doing some local games, and I'm into game 4 between Vigilanti vs Mando...

Neither of you can kill the other... Talk about draining to watch...

It always ALWAYS ends up both paladins vs one monk. Sometimes one oracle survives, but the paladins can't hurt the monk in any way, and can practically full-heal each other. They also grand cross the monk which results in him full-healing as well because the AI doesn't recognize his absorption.

So I don't know how to call it. I'm not going to call it a draw, and as it stands, I'm leaning toward saying Vigi wins because at least his team can hurt the enemy. When it's those paladins v the monk, they literally can't damage him in any way. Any ideas? I'll be uploading the likely 5 game streak this afternoon for other people to see. Prior warning though, absurdly boring. I'm going to probably triple speed it in order to get it under 15 minutes.

Eternal

I'd say whichever team has the most units remaining wins, but that's just me.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Dol

Quote from: zxpr0jk on August 09, 2011, 01:22:08 pm
I've started doing some local games, and I'm into game 4 between Vigilanti vs Mando...

Neither of you can kill the other... Talk about draining to watch...

It always ALWAYS ends up both paladins vs one monk. Sometimes one oracle survives, but the paladins can't hurt the monk in any way, and can practically full-heal each other. They also grand cross the monk which results in him full-healing as well because the AI doesn't recognize his absorption.

So I don't know how to call it. I'm not going to call it a draw, and as it stands, I'm leaning toward saying Vigi wins because at least his team can hurt the enemy. When it's those paladins v the monk, they literally can't damage him in any way. Any ideas? I'll be uploading the likely 5 game streak this afternoon for other people to see. Prior warning though, absurdly boring. I'm going to probably triple speed it in order to get it under 15 minutes.

I agree.  The team with the Monk wins in that case imo since hes "invincible".

zxpr0jk

Haha! Exciting(relatively speaking) conclusion.

I'd never attribute a win to "whomever has more units" since that encourages turtling and you'd end up with more teams stalemating. And in this case, it wouldn't have mattered if he had 3 people up, Mando would not be able to kill the Monk. With his paladins working against him, and the monk having multiple forms of regen, and the oracle's frequent misses, it wouldn't be fair to say he "won". That'd be saying "whomever had more units with Holy Absorption won"

There was a decided victory though in round 5 after 4 draws. So glad to be through with that match up...

Eternal

Hey, mind testing either of my teams later, zx?
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

zxpr0jk

August 09, 2011, 02:15:52 pm #668 Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 02:00:12 pm by zxpr0jk
I've got a sort of "mini-tourney" setup going.

I chose 8(7) players on the submissions thread counting back from the finish. Rolled for bracket locations, and then chose a random team of theirs. I'm going to do best of fives, single elimination. So it helps me keep a schedule. At the moment, I'm having conflicts with youtube since I can't upload anything over 15 minutes and my mic is god awful. For now, I'm just going to upload videos with just game sound and sped up as needed. Afraid I'll need to nix the "intros" for now since I don't have a mic and showing them would take more time but I'll provide links to the teams in the descriptions. I'll provide the memcard if anyone wants it.

But I'll make sure to put you in when I start the next "mini-tourney". So you'll be in there, probably next week? Make a note of which team you want entered, and I'll make a point of putting it in. Other than that, random position, and random maps(sans pub) against 7 people. I also plan to do a "highlight reel" and post-round analysis for the three rounds of the tournaments.

I'm not making any plans until I'm able to record, encode, and upload at least three matches a day.

Eternal

Huh, that's a pretty cool idea. I like it! I don't mind which teams of mine are tested. They can all use some testing.

Barren

I'll have your match Eternal up soon, if anyone happens to be subscribed to my channel go ahead and post Eternal vs Red World
You dare cross blades with me?

Eternal

Barren

Anytime :) its a really really good match IMO, you'll see soon

zxpr0jk

Here's Vigilanti v Mando

And something I recorded about a week ago: Undeath vs Typical.

New videos will be the size of the second, and I'll add music after the fact.

Barren

Uploading the video now

Again whoever wants to, go ahead and post the match

I got to run to work, later all!

Eternal

Mando

August 09, 2011, 08:55:03 pm #677 Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 08:57:35 pm by Mando
That is a good monk XD

^ New FFAT website made by St4r!

Vigilanti

After my match with Mando, I realized that my team needs better damage output so I remodeled my team one more time

The Damned

(I added a new team "Someday, A Wave" to the team submission thread. For the record, Barren, feel free to use one of my older teams too. I think Ms. Edea and Oil Ocean only ever had one match.)

Thanks, zxpr0jk and Barren. Not sure I quite understand the "mini-tournament" idea, but whatever helps ARENA to move along.

This reminds me that I need to post something when I come back....
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"