• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:02:33 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

FF1T

Started by Odal, December 15, 2015, 11:35:31 am

Odal

December 15, 2015, 11:35:31 am Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 11:58:45 am by Odal
Pretty simple concept.  FFT with FF1 classes.  I've already made some pretty good progress with this so I figure I'll post about it now and see if there's any good input before I get so far in that a good idea becomes impractical to implement.  All classes stats are completely based on what they were in FF1 in relation to each other.  Each class will have to reach level eight in their class to access their upgraded class.  I took a bit of creative freedom especially with the Fighter, Thief and Black Belt since in FF1 these classes all essentially had the same function.

Here's the creative freedoms I took with the above mentioned classes:
Fighter - A kind of supportive tank.  Uses shouts to buff and debuff; an idea like Diablo Barbarians or WoW Warriors.  This class has access to weak resurrection and weak healing which is available to any other job who wants to use their skill set as a secondary.  This is mainly because Chemists don't exist and thus neither does the item skillset.

Thief - He's still pretty weak but his use is in being ranged.  Daggers use speed instead of PA for damage calculation making the daggers more useful for thieves than other classes.  Crossbows have 1 increased range and they're also able to use bows as well as the usual stealing skill set stuff.  The Ninja upgrade takes this utility further along with a huge stat boost where the Ninja can equip anything and casts Black magic.

Black belt - Has all of the offensive skills and utilities in his skillset with the Master having even stronger ones.  Black belt is restricted to melee range since even his skillset is all melee.  Master upgrade gives wave fist and earth slash so he has some ranged capabilities. 

Casters - Casters are pretty much as you'd expect.  Red Wizard is slightly unique in having summons but they're essentially larger AOE tier 2 spells.  They all have an ability to regain a small amount of mana based on their MA since there is no more chemists for ethers. 

What I have left to do in order of importance:
- Patcher ENTD stuff.  This is pretty much the big hurdle to overcome before I can release a patch.
- Text.  Just some clean up here and there, but this is mostly done.
- Sprites.  This won't stop a patch release, but I do want to get to this eventually.  I've imported all the sprites I want to, however there are a few more sprites I may edit myself.
- Event Sprites. This is something I want to get to eventually but is not a huge deal to me.

I'm open to suggestions and comments or any input at all.

Also, if these sprites already exist I'll gladly add those and save myself some time and of course credit whoever made them: White Wizard, Red Wizard, Black Wizard.  If they don't already exist, I'll just edit existing sprites myself.

Edit - I forgot to mention that since there are still genders in this, there are also incentives for male casters and female fighters in getting special classes.

Assassin - A female who reaches level 8 Knight, Level 8 Ninja, and Level 8 Master gains access to this powerful class.  She has the throw skillset which I'm open to suggestions on because that seems kinda boring.  I could not give her the actual Use Hand skill set since that would be absurdly overpowered.  And the classes she has mastered already pretty much covers a wide range of abilities.  Not really sure what to do with this class.

Sorcerer - A male who reaches level 8 Red Wizard, Level 8 White Wizard, and Level 8 Black Wizard gains access to this powerful class.  Basically has Kletian type of spells being both supportive and offensive.

Also there is Mime for anyone who wants to get level 8 for all classes (aside from the gender specific ones).

theultrawolf

An interesting little concept. Would you modify special jobs, as well?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Odal

Stats yes, but for the most part they're going to be functionally the same.  I want there to be more distinction between classes, so multipliers vary more from class to class and in general stat growths are slightly higher.  So everything, as well as special classes, has been reworked to follow a similar stats model.  There is one exception where a character the player can get is completely different but that's just my little personal touch and is not really a huge change.

dw6561

This ia a pretty creative idea. I'm glad you actually have things done beforehand because thet lets me know you're motivated and serious. I've had ideas for a while but can't seem to get on them or want to undermine basic foundations I put in place, which is why I can never start on anything.

Just a few questions/ideas:

What are you going to do about each class's RSM? I think you could reuse some of them like Magic Attack Up but others like monster talk wouldn't really make sense. That is, unless you had a class/skills that work like talk skill or wanted to use the talk skill formula for something else.

Also how is the job tree going to work? Your description suggests that you are replacing squire with fighter, so I'm going off of that. Special jobs would not have access to fighter in that case, which I guess could work fine.

And will people be able to switch classes freely? I think FF1 didn't let you switch classes once you picked them at the beginning, so I was wondering if you wanted to implement a similar mechanic.
  • Modding version: PSX
This is FF Tactics. All the Tactics you can ever have, all in one byte.

Odal

I've shoved the functional RSMs in to the classes which they made most sense to me to go into.  I really don't know of any way to edit them to make them function differently, but if I could I would because there are some movement ones that are next to useless and some are useless as well as redundant (particularly the ones which involve water).  Irrelevant RSMs like Monster Talk and Throw Item are removed.

As for the job tree, yeah Special classes will replace Fighter which does bring up a good point - I may want to add those basic resurrection and heal to those classes as well.  It may be something I look at as I get more into testing.  As for the rest of the fighter class abilities, I doubt if they're going to be sorely missed by special classes - there will be similar ones if they want to upgrade into Knight and really you can just use a generic if they're that crucial.  Classes will be able to be switched freely, but because the 2nd tier will be a straight upgrade, it's inadvisable to do this at the start.

Job tree will be this:
Fighter -> Knight
Thief -> Ninja
Black Belt -> Master
All of the above at level 8 for females opens Assassin

Red Mage -> Red Wizard
White Mage -> White Wizard
Black Mage -> Black Wizard
All of the above at level 8 for males opens Sorcerer

So each character will have 6 choices to choose from to start with.

Odal

Had a pretty big setback on this.  Lost pretty much everything except my sprites folder and my spreadsheets.  I'll have to redo all the patcher work and tactext work which was by far the most tedious.  There's also the little things like shishi and evgrp, but those should not take very long.  Especially since I saved all the evgrp stuff in the sprites folder.

I've tried pretty much everything short of paying professionals an arm and a leg to recover this data but I think I have to give it up.  It'd be more worth it to just start from the beginning again, but I'm kinda disappointed now.  Don't be surprised if this doesn't go anywhere any time soon.  See the below spoiler on external hard drives if you care, but otherwise it's completely irrelevant. 

Lesson learned: Don't store data on an external hard drive - I don't even know why these exist, but if you have to, store everything that is on there somewhere else AS WELL.  I was naive that's for sure.  Thing stops being recognized by my computer.  I jump through a bunch of hoops to try to get it to work.  I did pretty much everything that didn't cost me an arm and a leg.  I break it open and find it's just a glorified hard drive.  So I plug it into my computer and see if I can do some file recovery, but that pretty much failed.  So now I have a nice, fat, empty 3TB hard drive I can store stuff on.  I'm sure I could have done more to try to get the files back, but aside from this patch there wasn't a whole lot on there that I wanted and after a certain point it becomes more of a nuisance to go through all that trouble than it would be to just start from scratch again.