• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:41:27 am

Sound effects

Started by Mobius, May 25, 2013, 06:21:34 pm

Mobius

I've been wondering about sound effects. Which sound file types can be used, and how do you determine the precise exact moment to play a sound when for example, a sword is swung?

Attention to detail is everything. Especially timing, should be customizable to the milliseconds, I might suggest, along with sprite animation speeds.

I used to hunt for all sorts of sound effects back when I used Game Maker. Formats being .wav's sometimes, and for music there be midi's and mp3.
Now everyone sit down, relax and have a good damned cup of tea.
Then go out into the forest and see the stars.

Then come back and realize it's pointless to be so worked up over what's meant to be our hobby.
That should be my motto here, holy s

lirmont

OGG format (can be created from WAV files using a program called Audacity). Hardcoded sound effects can be added via the sprite animator program on a given composited frame. Event-based sound effects can be added in an event context in the game where your game can listen for a specific event to be fired (say, "swing") and play an appropriate sound effect (with reference to type of weapon swung, result of hit/miss/evade/broken, etc). But, the files have to be OGG files; that's what the engine has a bufferer/mixer for.