• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:12:49 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Arena battle videos and discussion

Started by PX_Timefordeath, August 04, 2010, 06:49:51 pm

Otabo

No. No more matches with Battle Bunnies right now. Please. I would rather have some of my other teams in action instead.

reinoe

February 23, 2013, 07:35:49 pm #2043 Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 07:50:29 pm by reinoe
No real surprises here.  Doku the reason why it's called "Lazytown" is because it's sort of a description of how much effort I put into creating the team.  I wanted to make a team, but I didn't want to put any effort into it.  So Lazytown is the result.  I sort of consider them a minimum threshold team.  Everyone should be able to beat them. 

GG Truelight.

EVIDENCE THAT MIMES ARE TERRIBLE!
Upon re-watch look at the Life Song sequence from 4:40-4:45.  One of the Mimes doesn't sing.  HOW SO VERY LAZY!!!!  Also look at how the one mime runs away from the dancing Priest instead of killing her, allowing Little Devils to totally sandbag themselves back to victory.  I have to wonder what is it with the Mimes choosing not to kill an enemy unit that's right in front of them.  Perhaps they use a different A.I. than other units?

Well I certainly didn't expect those results.  Those archers are just way too fast and hit too hard.  Although watching the Squire heal someone for 338 damage was nice to see.

I think it's interesting that there were moments when it looked like the match might finally be turning around and then...not.  That's actually DMW specialty, coming from behind to win.  Those undead Thieves are real beasts, and I mean that in a good way.  I was kinda horrified when I contemplated the Berzerked Kyuzo slamming his sword into one of the undead thieves and he'd kill himself.  Fortunately the thieves killed him before that could happen.  I was impressed with the damage coming from Wave Fist.

I wasn't around six months ago when "Standing Still" was engaging in a reign of terror and wrecking face.  CT5 HOLY created a bunch of other teams and a bunch of new people showed up.  Now Standing still is back with a vengence.  I definitely see why it's a strong team.  I'm also noticing a trend with archers...Hitting hard and fast from long range.

Thanks for running matches this weekend Doku.
My dreams can come true!

TrueLight

Quote from: reinoe on February 23, 2013, 07:35:49 pm
No real surprises here.  Doku the reason why it's called "Lazytown" is because it's sort of a description of how much effort I put into creating the team.  I wanted to make a team, but I didn't want to put any effort into it.  So Lazytown is the result.  I sort of consider them a minimum threshold team.  Everyone should be able to beat them. 

GG Truelight.

EVIDENCE THAT MIMES ARE TERRIBLE!
Upon re-watch look at the Life Song sequence from 4:40-4:45.  One of the Mimes doesn't sing.  HOW SO VERY LAZY!!!!  Also look at how the one mime runs away from the dancing Priest instead of killing her, allowing Little Devils to totally sandbag themselves back to victory.  I have to wonder what is it with the Mimes choosing not to kill an enemy unit that's right in front of them.  Perhaps they use a different A.I. than other units?

Maybe the Mime thought that his buddy had it cover and he decided to go after the Ninja? I got really lucky with the missed Spin Fist and the Ninja's speed allowed him to take down the Monks. GG Reinoe.
  • Modding version: PSX

Otabo

Quote from: Dokurider on February 22, 2013, 09:43:52 pm
It's Mighty Warm In Here?

Actually, any of Spirit Cleansers, Spellstorm, or Step Into My Parlor would be great.

The Damned

(Speaking of Spirit Cleansers, I just finished recording all of the matches on the last memory card. I must say, as much as I loathe "hyping" things, Spirit Cleansers vs. Holy Stones seems like it's definitely one of the best matches of at least the 138(d) version of ARENA. So everyone please thank Dokurider for coming up with that match in addition to recording videos while I was "away".)

So, my Internet on my desktop has been back up since around 5:00 P.M. yesterday. However, there's where the "good news" ends; well, outside of day for the most part being rather pleasant, even if the end of it has me still feeling...off. For some reason, despite finally letting it rest for about two weeks and cleaning it a bit, the desktop seems to be even slower now, at least when it comes Youtube now.

Additionally, it was already going to take a long time to edit just one of these videos, but now I have seven 5-round+ matches since I had to break up Otabo & CT5Holy's match into two parts. They are all at least about 20~ minutes long, which means having to sort out at least 5 or 6 songs on "average".

So, may get a video or two up tomorrow, but that will be it. I'll try to get them all up before next Saturday, but we'll see now that goes, especially since I'm crap at accomplishing anything and life sucks more than usual right now. [/world's smallest violin]

Thanks for the videos and stuff Dokurider. I'll comment on at least the latest batch tonight, provided I can get Youtube actually cooperate....
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Dokurider

Oh yeah, Reinoe, your Windswept's Flurry has 'Zodiac' for his sign.

reinoe

Quote from: Dokurider on February 24, 2013, 03:57:59 am
Oh yeah, Reinoe, your Windswept's Flurry has 'Zodiac' for his sign.

Fixed to it's correct sign of "Libra".
My dreams can come true!

Barren

If anyone wants to try out my newest team please do. It's a bit of a throw away team but it's worth watching ^_^
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

CT5Holy

Thanks for the videos Dokurider! The pre-game analysis writeups are nice.
Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney

reinoe

I couldn't figure out why my Squinjas were so unproductive with their -ton abilities, especially when "Wind" was healing himself for only 79 in round 2.  Then it dawned on me that I need to pack an additional Attack UP and an Additional Overwhelm because the damage isn't going to amount to a can of spit against spellcasters.  I had JP to spare so I already know what changes need to be made.  Also on watermark's team, "Good" the thief was crazy fast, then I realized she's 12 speed+haste.  Even though she was pretty ineffective against me because her charms kept missing, eventually they connected

My dreams can come true!

Barren

February 25, 2013, 07:09:49 am #2054 Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 09:38:11 am by Barren
I tried uploading a video but my upload failed for whatever reason and since I'm in school right now so i'll upload it again when i get home today

Barren

reinoe

After watching all the matches I think it's interesting that Dorter's Most Wanted has only had to fight SCC teams so far.  Could this be a running gag for the 2nd place finishers???

A very intense and close match.  So much back and forth.

Another very intense and close match.  It came down to the last two fighters on each team.  Insanely close and intense.

Well, bulletproof seemed determined to waltz into SIMP's massive AOE.  Also the Ninja charged forward to get killed while the rest of his team held back.  Not helping were the two missed Raise 2.  However once the Scholar ran out of MP things went to hell in a handbasket very quickly for SIMP.  Kiku really wound up wrecking the gameplan for SIMP.

Well this was dissappointingly not close.  I got a bunch of lucky misses, but the Undead Thieves are really proving to be all-stars on Doku's team.  I might have to give cursed ring another shot.  I remember when people equipped with Cursed Ring hardly ever came back from the dead and I didn't want to risk using it because RAISE 2 is not as prominent as it once was.

The chemist on heroic good guys seems to think his bag makes a good melee weapon.  I'm now convinced that making the three bags heal a small amount of HP will put a stop to that nonsense.

My favorite thing in the whole Mania series was when Orichalcum the mediator charged the enemy and used Koutetsu on the entire opposing team.  Didn't do a ton of damage but it was still pretty awesome.  Also the samurai on Item Fighters is named "Bizen Boat", but is not weilding "Bizen Boat", nor has he learned the skill Bizen Boat.  Oh well.  It was over for Item Fighters when Wizard Rod got charmed and then wrecked her own team

I've never seen 3M battle before so I was curious to see how they'd perform.  Then one of the Scholars got hit by Bizen Boat, and it was not looking good at that point for First Strike.  Also the Archer on 3M was quite useless.  There's protecting yourself and then there's spamming Nurse.  Oh well.  But I wonder, how well would 3M perform against a team less vulnerable to MP damage?  It was a great match but I predicted 3m would win after the first Bizen boat went off.

Elebreak continues to prove to be a formidable team.  I can't say I'm surprised after watching them previously.

Since the match didn't count for anything because "Rebalancing Arena" doesn't exist anymore, I'm going to tell you about what I did while the match was taking place.

I used this as an opportunity to throw some frozen chicken in the Microwave.  There's type of mustard sauce called "Sweet Heat".  It's surprisingly tasty and goes well with Popcorn chicken.  I grabbed a cherry coke to wash it down.  'Twas a nice bachelor's/college student's dinner.  While I was eating dinner I checked up on some facebook posts.  Also I'm getting pretty good at Zynga's online poker.  I'm a lot better than I used to be at the game. 

When one of the time mages cast Haste 2 on one unit, I figured it would be a rough start for S.K.  The stop affecting two units was pretty clutch.  The Paladin had to just stand there while everyone around him got killed.  I thought it would be a close match

One of the thins I've noticed about SAO is that the Paladin does a remarkably small amount of damage.  After that I saw a Frog and then a Petrify hit.  It wasn't looking good for SAO after those spells went off.  And then another Frog hit.  So I saw that the Squire had White Magic and I checked the team submissions to confirm if the Squire had Esuna and she doesn't.  Not that it really matters if she did.  If what Doku said from his testing is correct, then the A.I. doesn't place much emphasis on healing "Frog" anyway.

Yeah, that's a long name so I just put "The Damned" instead...

TheDamned's team definitely had the advantage when it came to HP, but I remember when Strangers faced off against the Mono-Squire team and the Wizard killed all four units on the opposition.  It was really epic.  Anyways...Did that Squire cast Fire but has Doubt Faith status?  It's a creative decision to say the least.  It came back to bite her when the Fearsome wizard cast Nether Bolt.  Charm is always a game changer though.  Unfortunately it was quickly negated.  All downhill from there as "Stranger" wrecked havok on the opposition once again.  That is one terrifyingly strong unit.  Also I saw "DIA" hit for 187, which is the most I've ever seen. 

At around 1:16:00, the Paladins on Holy Blood start attacking the Wizard on the other team with Grand Cross.  Since the first one blinded her and healed her, I figured the knights wanted to Blind her.  Then the other Knight hit her with Grand Cross, healing her again.  WTH Paladins?  Not that it matters too much.  Eventually Ultimate Magic was forced into a corner and then they were on the receiving end of massive AOE attacks.

Wow, what a slugfest.  Consecrate was a game changer, which was quite a surprise.

When the match started I expected D2E would have an advantage just because of their Earth Synergy.
But double Don't Act quickly turned the tide.  After that Ultimate Magic just kept hammering D2E and kept them in sandbag mode. 
My dreams can come true!

Otabo

Quote from: reinoe on February 26, 2013, 12:56:36 am
Well, bulletproof seemed determined to waltz into SIMP's massive AOE.  Also the Ninja charged forward to get killed while the rest of his team held back.  Not helping were the two missed Raise 2.  However once the Scholar ran out of MP things went to hell in a handbasket very quickly for SIMP.  Kiku really wound up wrecking the gameplan for SIMP.

That, plus the fact that the bard couldn't get that Carbunkle off in time. Knew it was GG once he was midcharged at that point.

TrueLight

Lancers couldn't withstand the damage of the Air Knives and Raise made sure they were dead. Chemists still proves to be useless.

Got a lot of Don't Act/Don't Move procs from Kagesougi which allowed my Ninjas to finish the job. At least this Chemist proved his usefulness

The evasion from Dol's team was too much for my Lancers and they missed attack after attack.

Wizards couldn't get their spells off thanks to the enemy Wizard having Short Charge. Wizards were dropped early and the momentum was never there.
  • Modding version: PSX