• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:50:21 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

[Old] FFT: Plus Bug topic (1.01C Beta bugs to be fixed in 1.01C)

Started by Dome, July 29, 2011, 07:25:35 pm

Lumian

Sorry for the late response!

Well, I got the patch off of here not too long ago (within the last three weeks) and I patched the correct version. Everything else seems to work fine (though I do get that Balmafula issue I've heard abut sometimes).

They definitely die though, but they only give me gameover after alot of them crystalize.

EDIT:  I guess I should add though, I have been using gameshark. It /is/ possible I could've altered something unknowingly. XD.

Dome

Quote from: Lumian on February 27, 2012, 04:56:59 am
EDIT:  I guess I should add though, I have been using gameshark. It /is/ possible I could've altered something unknowingly. XD.

This
Because I'm sure that they cannot crystalize

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Lumian

Okay then. I'll run a non-gameshark game later maybe and see if I still have this problem. That might be it.

Either way, thanks for the wonderful hack and I'll be sure to repost if I find anything else. ^^

pipe

Not sure if mentioned already but the online help for Dash is missing a line break after the fullstop so the Range and Effect is shown on wrong line.

The description for Inspiration is not formatted inline with the other desriptions where effects are separated by a dot rather than a space.
edit: Looking at the new skills, this applies to those descriptions too. Sometimes commas are used (Cat Kick), sometimes space is used.

Neophyte Ronin

I have a few extra bugs and glitches:

The human unit encounter at Fovoham Plains battlefield features a Guest Priest capable of casting Aquabreak (a Squid-exclusive power to my knowledge) even though nothing in his equipment or ability list accounts for the discrepancy.  He might still be considered a Squid/Illithid according to original game data, so the original battle setup is bleeding into any changes made.  His optional Command Ability is Black Magic and he often casts Death when able, even though the listing does not say he actually has the spell learned!

Carbuncle's MP Cost is the same as before, though the Time Mage's Reflect Spell affects one person at a time.  If you're going to cast Reflect, you might as well do it to everybody, right?  By cost alone, Carbuncle has the edge over the original.  Consider altering the costs of each ability to improve upon the seeming fairness, like when Wall's cost was halved.

I spotted Gafgarion in the corner of the Dorter Trade City battlefield in Chapter 2 just as it opens up.  It's a byproduct of having it pan across the field from your entry point to the conversation.  Was this intentional or a glitch?  Maybe I'm over-thinking it.

Speed Ruin is a gimped version of the Time Mage's Slow Spell.  Consider adding to or switching with a CT 0 effect instead, to make it resemble a Delay Buster.  If both effects are applied in tandem, adjust the MP cost.

One of the Squires on Grog Hill's story battle has Move in Water as a Movement Ability (i.e. the original).  I'm sure this was meant to be dummied out or replaced, since Move in Water is worthless on Grog Hill.

When changes were made to Talk Skill Abilities, they lost the stipulation that the Target must is cognizant (i.e. not sleeping), meaning the new Threaten can cast Don't Act on a sleeping character, as can Warn, Preach and Refute.  Persuade, Negotiate, Insult, and Mimic Daravon work as normal.  Finger Guard does not prevent Don't Act, but either the online help should indicate this (if it was deliberate) or edit the ability so it does cover Don't Act.

Lavian's Zodiac is claimed to be Leo, but while dallying with Mustadio and Lavian, they appeared to have excellent compatibility as though she was still an Aries (like in Vanilla Tactics).  I figured you changed her to Leo to avoid the classic exploit of three Libras (Mustadio, Beowulf, T.G. Cid), but failed to make the change.  The Leo sign appeared cosmetic.  Then again, it might have been a glitch on my part.  I was toying with Geomancy in Zeklaus Desert and noticed Sandstorm dealt extra healing power far beyond the standard projected amount while equipped with a Magic Ring.  It could have been something to do with the Magic Ring, but I cannot be sure.

Diminish doesn't have Dark Affinity attached--it's just a weak variation of Life Drain that doesn't suck HP and is pretty much gimped.  If Life Drain is such an exploit that it requires changing up to prevent abuse against Zodiac Bosses, then flag it for Magic Evasion and give the Zodiac Bosses 50% Character Evasion (Magical).  I don't get why that can't be done in the first place.  If Diminish stays, revise the claims made in Online Help or actually adjust its Affinity so it heals Undead instead of damaging them.

Cheer Up and (I'm pretty sure about this one) all the Sage's Planar Magics not indigenous to other playable generic Classes are not flagged for mimicry despite the abilities' availability to Generic classes.  Not like Mimes need anymore help, but they aren't as advertised until those abilities are flagged for mimicry.

Dome

Thanks for the bug reports guys, I'll work on fixing them
Keep 'em coming!

pipe

I am only on the first battle in Chapter 1 and notice some weird things:

- Delita and the generic squires have starting skills such as Potion / Weapon Guard learned and equipped. Why not Ramza?
- In Vanilla, everybody had Equip Change learned. ie, skills that cost 0 JP should be learned by default.
- Delita has Counter Tackle equipped even though he hasn't learned it. After first battle, it changes to Weapon Guard.
- Delita's skills goes weird in between battles. When the first battle is over, unlearns Heal. After the next battle, his skillset gets renamed to "Guts".
- Algus has Concentrate equipped even though he hasn't learned it. Like Delita, it changes to Weapon Guard after his first battle.
- Algus's skills also goes weird. Head Break and Armor Break are duplicated and displayed as Squire skills. He learns the Squire version and not the Knight version.
- Delita and Algus can learn Equip Axe and Monster Skill
- Some starting generics had Ether learned instead of Hi Potion. Was that intentional?
- Poison daggars before a cure is available? Only Delita has Heal.
- Self destruct ability says it "blinds and slows" but effect only says Slow. Is it blind too?

pipe

Dome, added some more stuff to my last post, hope it helps.

Neophyte Ronin

Quote from: pipe on March 12, 2012, 03:04:42 am
I am only on the first battle in Chapter 1 and notice some weird things:

- Delita and the generic squires have starting skills such as Potion / Weapon Guard learned and equipped. Why not Ramza?
- In Vanilla, everybody had Equip Change learned. ie, skills that cost 0 JP should be learned by default.
- Delita has Counter Tackle equipped even though he hasn't learned it. After first battle, it changes to Weapon Guard.
- Delita's skills goes weird in between battles. When the first battle is over, unlearns Heal. After the next battle, his skillset gets renamed to "Guts".
- Algus has Concentrate equipped even though he hasn't learned it. Like Delita, it changes to Weapon Guard after his first battle.
- Algus's skills also goes weird. Head Break and Armor Break are duplicated and displayed as Squire skills. He learns the Squire version and not the Knight version.
- Delita and Algus can learn Equip Axe and Monster Skill
- Some starting generics had Ether learned instead of Hi Potion. Was that intentional?
- Poison daggars before a cure is available? Only Delita has Heal.
- Self destruct ability says it "blinds and slows" but effect only says Slow. Is it blind too?

The Generics and Guest Delita, 1st Battle, were given some specifics instead of the typical random stuff.  Ramza, on the other hand, is random during the very first battle, and in the next he's got nothing.  He's stripped bare.  Just like the original game.  This is a nod to keep the experience of Tactics as close to the original as possible, so it's all game thing, not Dome.  It's not the fairest thing ever, but you're supposed to let these guys take the heat in the first place.  I certainly like how he made the Squires a viable Class, though.

Just because Equip Change costs nothing doesn't mean the random ability selector mechanism is going to pick it.  Weapon Guard used to cost 200 JP and now it's free because, let's face it, we suddenly need something, especially with swords.  It's probably not on the list to be selected as easily; other things may be given higher priority.

Okay, now this one's simple: Dome got rid of access to Guest Units.  I suppose it eradicated the bull-work of re-selecting their abilities, because yes, it can happen that Delita can equip axes (or have the ability in place) or use Heal, or cast Wish, or not have either one for the next fight and have something completely different.  It's because Dome made several different instances to accommodate new equipment over time but switched everything to randomly selected, meaning a Guest's tactics differ each and every time they appear.  The same happens with Rafa and it likely happens with Beowulf and other such instances.  Since we cannot access the Guest Unit, we cannot patch up the loose ends and spots that might occur.  The randomness is responsible for the inconsistency in all examples where guests are mentioned.  Concealing the access to Guest Units may prevent access to view those abilities in-game and have them learned for whatever reason, but really, it's because Dome didn't want to be bothered.  I suppose it's good to mention the holes in the plan, though!

Ether and other abilities are randomly learned.  However, it used to be Level 1 could not get past 200 JP and would be between 100-199.  "ETHER" and "HI-POTION" were 300 and 200 before, but now they are 100 apiece.  Yes, it's intentional.  Hi-Potion is accessible earlier, including the store, and I suggest you switch to them ASAP because you're gonna need them!

Poisoned daggers are evil if they add poison, especially during the first battle.  Remedies and Heal are the only way out.  Poison is also permanent until cured.  It puts teeth in whoever decides to use the "weakest" weapon in the game, though the chance is still 1 in 4.

Yes, it blinds and slows.  Self-Destruct does both.  However, if the former effect didn't happen, it may be attributable to the changes made to the Blind Knife.  It may also be the formula, adding one or the other or having mutually exclusive chances of success.  Are you totally sure this was one and not the other and that you didn't have anything that could have protected against one?

To be honest, there are all sorts of strange things that need checking, not the least of which includes the online prompts.  That's a horrific elephant in the living room, but there are other things that need addressing first.  Anyway, thanks for your feedback.  The whole Equip Axe thing and making Delita and Algus into unique Cadets with unique ability sets is another thing to look into if the CPU still picks Equip Axe (did we mention Axes were dummied out entirely?).

Dome

Neophyte Ronin, thanks a lot
You are an awesome guy to have around :-)

Thanks for the reports Pipe, keep 'em coming :-)
Each bug "Destroyed" makes FFT: Plus a better patch to play

pipe

Thanks for the analysis again.

By "first battle", I didn't mean the one with Rad Alicia Lavian.

If an ability cost 0 JP, it should be learned. In the first battle, everyone but Ramza has Item and Weapon Guard (and Equip Change in Vanilla). But Ramza does not get to "learn" them until after the 1st battle. Why do I have to go into the abilities screen to learn something for 0JP?

Guests equipping abilities that they haven't learned is still a bug, randomly selected or not. There are definitely some wrinkles to iron out with Guests being managed by the AI. I like the change though, because it's less units to manage. Plus I don't have to remember to strip him of his equipment before he leaves the party.

And yes poison daggers cannot be cured in the beginning battle. Delita is the only one with Heal but he won't know to use it.

Dome

QuoteBy "first battle", I didn't mean the one with Rad Alicia Lavian.

QuoteIf an ability cost 0 JP, it should be learned. In the first battle, everyone but Ramza has Item and Weapon Guard (and Equip Change in Vanilla). But Ramza does not get to "learn" them until after the 1st battle. Why do I have to go into the abilities screen to learn something for 0JP?

Because if we allow the AI to learn it, there is a chance enemies will equip it
And the AI cannot use it at all

QuoteGuests equipping abilities that they haven't learned is still a bug, randomly selected or not. There are definitely some wrinkles to iron out with Guests being managed by the AI.

There is no easy way to fix this, sadly...the best way would be to prevent the player to check guests' abilities

QuoteAnd yes poison daggers cannot be cured in the beginning battle. Delita is the only one with Heal but he won't know to use it.

Is this giving you trouble/making the first battle too hard?

Neophyte Ronin

It shouldn't.  It's a 1 in 4 chance.  Still, it will slowly kill off a unit in case it happens, forcing you to wait and revive after death becomes the unit.  It's a little aggravating since antidotes were dummied into "Stuff".

I found out that Mimes are immune to all kinds of status effects.  However, for its risky drawback when faced with mages, "Faith" really shouldn't be one of them.  I tried to cast it on my Onmyoshi/Oracle, and then watch as it's "Guarded" by the Mime.  Either this was deliberate or just an oversight.  The fact that Mimes have different abilities than in Vanilla Tactics is probably a nod to keep Squires viable compared to a low-cost Mime (they used to have Martial Arts and Monster Skill if I remember correctly, whereas these days they retain Concentrate and acquire the Defense Boosts, MP Switch and status immunity).

It's interesting to note that, unless you have "Always Float", being turned into a Frog will dispel the Float effect and send you into the water.  I haven't seen any bugs or glitches that erupt from this so far.

I also discovered that the Monk's grappling techniques are also subject to the Ghosts' Blade Grasp.  It wasn't always the case, though it's probably part of the demand to make these creatures incorporeal and not subject to said hits.  Wave Fist, on the other hand, is supposed to be mystical, historically.  At least change the term used to Incorporeal so as never to hint at the existence of the officially dummied-out Blade Grasp.

About Samurai:

Talk about being severed of its prior glory without compensation.  It's a broken class.  It was like that in Vanilla, but here, it's just frustrating.  The JP to learn each ability is offensive; sword-drawing should not be that expensive to figure out.  Just how different is drawing the spirits from one blade to the next?  The abilities are trickier since they hit everybody instead of singling out one party or the next, while a few have elemental hits as well, and supportive ones only cast one or the other, which makes that 15% Break Value a seriously painful gamble.  It alters the Samurai's original glory as one who makes a tight formation sing.  Overall power of each skill is reduced, as are the prices to learn each--but they're not proportionate to one another; there are better tricks to learn, and at faster rates.  Mastering Samurai takes more JP than any other class, and there is no virtual mastery since each sword does a different effect, not just in terms of power, either (so the simple stuff remains as useful as the later ones--small compensation when you think of it).

Iaido can be imported to various Classes with better Speed or Magic, but what's the deal?  Shouldn't the Samurai be a better choice for using his own skills?  It's the case with Geomancers and Dragoons--they got the power or the proper speed to stay ahead of a few creatures.  Trying to level up or otherwise learn Iaido is better done with Perform as a secondary (ironically, Performers require Level 2 Samurai) than waiting for the sucker's turn to come up.  After you got all you need, you make the character a mage and then never look back; the Samurai's Health rating is similar to that of a Mage, and the Mage can choose Equip Armor and have better Health!  Pretty lackluster, these guys.

Now, if you can't figure out how to fix Blade Grasp so to be fair and melee-oriented, that's okay, I can live with Hamedo.  If Hamedo was flagged for monsters as well as humans and demons.  It was stupid before, and it's still stupid here: I have not met an instance where monsters' revamped melee attacks trigger Hamedo.  Counter still wins that one; just defend and wait for the bugger to approach.  Yeah, but isn't Hamedo super-expensive for some other reason?  It's nothing but a Niche-Use Ability and enemies will pass those characters up and go for someone weaker.

Next, there's this odd thing about being able to learn "Two Hands" and, according to Master Guide, that should be an Innate Ability--the one saving grace considering Katanas still function on Brave and have inferior strength to standard swords as a result--but somehow, it isn't.  In this game, where getting power up to three nines is difficult as is, Two-Hands is a powerful equalizer.  It's just the thing we need to blow through an enemy in a single hit if you're lucky enough.  It should be an Innate for the Samurai, the appropriate offensive kick that compensates for lack of speed and Health compared to the other armored Classes.  Unfortunately, that was removed alongside the Monk's Unarmed Strike ability.

After fixing any glaring bugs, reconsider the treatment that the Samurai has been given.  Iaido should be reduced in cost even more if it has been reduced in effectiveness, while the Class itself should get a reprieve from the sort of shit that plagued it the first time.  It doesn't need to be faster than the Dragoon, but it could use extra Magic and an Innate Ability like Double-Grip to keep itself above water.

pipe

Quote from: Dome on March 20, 2012, 03:26:34 am
Because if we allow the AI to learn it, there is a chance enemies will equip it
And the AI cannot use it at all

What do you mean by this? In the level 1 battle, Ramza's only action in that battle is "attack" when everyone else can use potion and squire skills. Isn't that easy to fix?

1st battle not too hard, just makes the game feel less polished.

Dome

Quote from: pipe on March 21, 2012, 01:56:08 am
What do you mean by this? In the level 1 battle, Ramza's only action in that battle is "attack" when everyone else can use potion and squire skills. Isn't that easy to fix?

1st battle not too hard, just makes the game feel less polished.

I was referring to equip change
Ramza's abilities are flagged like the abilities of everyone else (= Should already have them learned)
Dunno how to fix it, sorry

krilz

Malak seem to be unable to hit anyone in melee range at the Entrance of Riovanes Castle when he has a weapon. He just ran around casting his stuff and when he ran out of MP he ran to whoever was the most suitable target and just stood there. When I stole the Zorlin Shape from him, he started to actually hit people.

Dome

Quote from: krilz on April 26, 2012, 03:06:31 pm
Malak seem to be unable to hit anyone in melee range at the Entrance of Riovanes Castle when he has a weapon. He just ran around casting his stuff and when he ran out of MP he ran to whoever was the most suitable target and just stood there. When I stole the Zorlin Shape from him, he started to actually hit people.

O_o
Seriously don't know why
Does someone have any idea?

Neophyte Ronin

Dome, did you actually give him a functioning Zorlin Shape that can be wielded by enemies?  If the data believes it is a non-functional placeholder, the AI will consider the wielder unarmed, yet also unable to deal unarmed blows.  Take it away and he goes fisticuff style.  However, I doubt Dome has the lack of foresight to make that happen.

So, did Malak receive damage?  I understand Zorlin Shape deals Dark Damage based on caster Health Loss.  I guess you didn't actually HIT Malak, so he didn't give a shit and just waited for a moment when he actually DID get hit.  Thus, the AI simply went "screw this" and just waited.  Then you stole it.  >.<

That's probably what happened: the AI, in failing to cast magic, resorts to physical strikes, but if Zorlin Shapes cannot deal damage without damage dealt to their wielders, you can cheat the system by keeping them healthy, negate their other combat options, and extract the blades.  Pretty much a slick steal.  However, Zorlin Shapes can get nasty if they are wielded by a high-health combatant with Concentrate who just took a licking.  I hope you treasure the Zorlin Shape you ripped from Malak, but remember how narrow a scope it has.  It's also Dark Affinity, so don't expect it to run through every target you meet.

Dome

Got it!
There is a "mistake" in the ENTD, Malak was supposed to have "Punch art" as a secondary instead of "Charge"
That's the reason he spent turns doing nothing after he spent all his MPs

P.s: Nice to see you again Neophyte Ronin :-)

Neophyte Ronin

I upgraded to the new C Beta version and have started rummaging through again.

First off, it appears as though the trick to change random enemies' Support Abilities to something random, rather than just Maintenance all the time, has failed in Sweegy Woods.  That's right: from what I can tell, the random field encounters retain the same annoying Support Ability Maintenance.  However, the equipment is on par with the chapter/store level, so hip-hip-hooray for at least one part of it working.

You probably already know this, but the Double Shot effect of Crossbows exists independently of the Damage Split effect; Damage split records the first hit only.  Another reason to enjoy Double Shot, unless you're on the receiving end.

Instead of being infallible, Dash now has a Direct Evasion property attached.  It also delivers a knock-back half of the time.  It has the same damage as Bulls-Eye but they're used differently.  That's pretty good.

No more Tentacle while Berserk or Frog, or both!  That's a major development that will go very far.  Instances like those should be avoided.  If that is the case, what do Marlboroughs use for a standard attack (if they EVER use one)?

Mustadio is now awesome at long last.  Give him Precision to crank his Snipe ability to over 80% even on a bad sign.  However, it does not apply with Power Break and Mind Break to any palpable degree.  Like previous Break Skills, they are subject to evasion while Sniping is not.  Status immunity applies as normal.  I have even applied his talents in major fights with a Yoichi Bow and gave him Steal as a secondary.  I'm pretty sure either Class--Engineer or Thief--can work out, but stick to Engineer when up against Break Skills or Thieves.  Switch to Thief for infallible hits and speed.  You can't lose with this kind of setup.

I haven't noticed bugs beyond the ones mentioned, but I'll let you know when I find one.  It's looking good so far!