• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:37:39 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Custom Sprites making/ inserting etc HOW TO

Started by karsten, January 14, 2008, 06:50:35 am

Zozma

May 21, 2008, 04:19:57 pm #20 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
to be honest, if there were a cleric job available normally, hed be as generic looking as they come.... i don't know why but even tho there is only one of him, just at the funeral, he just seems very generic to me.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Kourama

May 26, 2008, 02:24:47 pm #21 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kourama
Has anyone tried to import a sprite over Clouds SPR?

I've tried importing the KH version and the AC version in the PSP version but the game always ends up crashing when I try to get to the title screen menu and I can't figure out the problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

Zozma

August 05, 2008, 07:37:03 pm #22 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
sorry, i never mess with my psp version...

5E KASANEK.SPR
5F KASANEM.SPR
these two sprites, hase anyone tried to use them for anything?
i was assuming that one of the sprites accesses one of the two sprites
in the top corner of the unit.bin sheet.... anyone able to confirm this?

Saigas

August 05, 2008, 08:46:12 pm #23 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Saigas
Quote from: "Zozma"sorry, i never mess with my psp version...

5E KASANEK.SPR
5F KASANEM.SPR
these two sprites, hase anyone tried to use them for anything?
i was assuming that one of the sprites accesses one of the two sprites
in the top corner of the unit.bin sheet.... anyone able to confirm this?

Well, when you look at them in Shishi, they are sprites that are composed of only one color (red).  They appear to be, judging from the general shapes, humanoid sprites with cloaks and one of them definitely looks like it has a horn.  Aside from this, the file appears to be too small to use as a substitute for anything significant.  It would be the same as my first problem substituting Teta's sprite with your new one.

At least, I would think.

And, after comparing them, I don't think it either of them are one of the sprites in the top corner of the unit.bin sheet.  Then again, I'm rather new, so I could be wrong.

Zozma

August 05, 2008, 08:56:17 pm #24 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
yeah, the sprites are almost big enough to support a full sheet but not quite, im thinking i could create a mage only enemy with it, so that it will compress enough to fit after only needing defending animations.

i was just curious if they appeared with their own unit.bin (menu) sprite because there are a few seemingly unused sprites contained within it (they look like some priests or something.

(as for the teta sprite, alma has a dupe sprite that can be used, (it has a priest portrait in the menu (but now there is a program that will let you import new pictures and unit.bin sprites over old ones, so you can create a perfectly good teta sprite and use alma's other sprite for any time she appears in game.)

Saigas

August 05, 2008, 09:15:42 pm #25 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Saigas
The "Mage Only Enemy" idea would probably work.  They have enough room for that kind of an application for sure.

With the unit.bin file, it looks like Simon is the sprite in the far right corner, but I don't know why he would be.  Then again, I seem to recall a vague memory of Simon's sprite showing up in certain places that ordinary incomplete sprites wouldn't (back in the days of Gameshark codes, when sprites would mix and match at their own will).  Maybe this is the case.  The other priestlike sprite might be the Cleric from the funeral at the end.  Everyone was rather confused, after all, as to why his sprite was practically complete.

That seems like a good idea.  If all else fails, I'll ask if you can go into further detail on that option later.  Would Teta show up relatively normal In-Battle and in the Formation menu screen if I simply swapped her Fort Zeakden sprite with your custom one copied over the SERIA or LEDY file and use that for the rest of the game?  What all would it take to make this work, cuz I'm hoping to have the kinks worked out by the end of the night, if at all possible.

Zozma

August 05, 2008, 09:21:07 pm #26 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
yes it will look normal except her hands wont be tied after she falls., also since auto dead wont be preasent there, i suggest making a fake job for auto dead units just call it ????? or something (there are 3 occurances of wasted sprites because of auto dead units and teta is one of them.)

anyway i have to go back and do a few touchups to her attacking animations now that shishi is so advanced, but for the most part she looks okay.

also are you sure that priest is simon or is it another character that has a similar uniform? mage only characters can be created if you give them a weapon with 0 range like a suriken.

Saigas

August 05, 2008, 09:37:19 pm #27 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Saigas
Ah, so I couldn't just turn off the auto-dead using FFTPatcher and let her fight anyway?  (yeah, not much continuity with a grieving brother fighting side by side with his 'supposed-to-be-dead' sister, but I can fix that later when I'm not just testing stuff out).  Well, if that's the case I will just go ahead and take your advice regarding unit ?????.

Yeah, the 'for the most part' is all I really need at the moment, but I wil definitelyl jump on the sprite the moment it is touched-up. ^_^

I'm just making an educated guess based on the similarities in appearance and the oddities found regarding certain sprites (particularly Simon and the funeral Cleric).  I make no claims to be infallable in such guesses, and can only expect to be proven wrong or right later. ^_^

Interesting...*ponders mage-only characters with zero-range weapons*

EDIT: BTW, off-topic a bit, but how can I go about getting a normal looking portrait?  Something i could use for an avatar or something, because i can't seem to use the ones from the sprites.  They all became odd inverted colors.

Zozma

August 05, 2008, 09:54:45 pm #28 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
you can turn off the auto dead but you better make sure you take off the zodiac monster status in the entd editor for that battle or her hp/mp will be multiplied by like 10 for that fight. the reason i suggested creating a job like "?????" is that there is also a version of malak, and alma that are just like that and you can free up their sprites for other characters by consolidating all appearances of them into one single job each.
a sprite like teta's original is practiaclly glitch free if you make it mage only. but that would only be useful as a character that never joins you so that you cant change their equip.

for an avatar, every portrait of the original game is available in the gallery in your profile edit section.

also there are 3 sprites not counting simon, in the unit.bin that look like simonesqe priests... they all have portraits too (two of them you never see in game at all.

Saigas

August 05, 2008, 10:06:17 pm #29 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Saigas
Thanks for the heads up.  I took it off.  Yeah, i definitely want to be able to modify Teta a bit.  Even gave her class multipliers and skills in her skillset.  I'll definitely keep alma and malak in mind for the future, though.

Awesome.  Didn't know about that, so now i do.  Thanks a ton.

Really?  Wow, that's cool.  Totally news to me.  I'm such a noob. :P   But I'm trying my best.

Zozma

August 05, 2008, 10:10:12 pm #30 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
hehe, welcome to the community.
also yeah when i first played fft and used a gs to get teta, i always wanted to give her a better class and some real status.

Vanya

August 05, 2008, 10:19:27 pm #31 Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 10:25:16 pm by Vanya
Kasanek and kasanem have always looked to me like several sprites plastered on top of each other. There's a compression technique that layers multiple letters on top of each other and then depending on which palette is applied to the image it will display a different letter. Maybe this could be the case here?

Edit: I just tried it with kasanek. I exported it and applied my Spiky Warrior's palette to it. You can clearly see that cloud's sprite is there with others underneath. I can clearly make out bits of Samurai M and Dragoon M under Cloud. After the field of *snow* there are parts of the Squire M, but the pixels aren't arranged correctly. It's almost as if the were extracted in the wrong bit plane.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Saigas

August 05, 2008, 10:22:42 pm #32 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Saigas
Quote from: "Zozma"hehe, welcome to the community.
also yeah when i first played fft and used a gs to get teta, i always wanted to give her a better class and some real status.

Hehe, thanks.

Well, she's got such a bit part and yet her death is the single most important event in the game.  Without her death, everything revolving around Delita and Ramza changes.  And, of course, the story revolves around Delita and Ramza - thus her death causes a huge chain reaction and the whole story and plot goes spiraling out of control.

...Or does it?

I've always wondered what it might have been like if Teta survived (though in a less obvious way than what I am currently doing).  As a matter of fact, your custom thief sprite of Teta is what has inspired my latest story/project concept.  ^_^

Zozma

August 05, 2008, 10:32:19 pm #33 Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 10:33:04 pm by Zozma
highly possible, in one i can clearly see the sprite for the black haired priest (the one that matches an unused portrait in worldface.bin and unit.bin) is contained within... too bad there is no way to get it out.

Vanya

August 05, 2008, 10:32:58 pm #34 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Findings for Kasanem. Duplicating the experiment I find this Male Priest you speak of also. He is also stacked on top of other sprites. I can't make the others out, but I know that I've seen him somewhere recently as a custom sprite. Maybe from the Japanese side? The bottom part seems to be the same as in Kasanek; distorted male squire graphics.

Also, comparing the two *snow* fields they same to contain the same data. I can make out word above the *snow* that says MAGICIAN. Going back to Kasanek; i can make out the top half of the word FIGHTER above the *snow* there as well.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Zozma

August 05, 2008, 10:34:57 pm #35 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
i do want to recreate that custom priest, with the black hair... no idea who he was supposed to be but oh well... also i bet if that sprite really does have others tacked in, then that girl with the blue hood should be in there.

Vanya

August 05, 2008, 10:38:20 pm #36 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
The more I look at it the more I think that it's just not being extracted correctly by shishi. Almost as if it's stacking all the sprites it self somehow. I think that these are supposed to be some sort of an archive. Maybe it's out put from whatever apps the spriters at square where using before reformatting them to the PSX?
¯\(°_0)/¯

Zozma

August 05, 2008, 10:41:02 pm #37 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
im guessing its totally comrpessed differently, and they stored all their unused/ dummied crap there.

that priest, i found his color palette in unit.bin

Saigas

August 05, 2008, 10:45:20 pm #38 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Saigas
If that were indeed the case, how would one go about correcting the problem?  Upgrade Shishi to do or don't do...something we aren't sure about yet?

MAGICIAN sounds very interesting.  I wonder what its skillset might have been like?  And this does make one want to create the sprite for the priest.  Maybe I'll fool around with it too and see what i can get.
EDIT: That color pallete will come in handy, for sure.

Hehe, I bet Square themselves probably never even dreamed of this kind of stuff, let alone the problems that come along with it.

Vanya

August 05, 2008, 10:47:05 pm #39 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
I'm convince that Kasanek is an archive of combat job sprites and Kasanem is the one for spell casters.
¯\(°_0)/¯