• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Tojoe's Sprites

Started by Fosil, July 13, 2012, 09:29:55 pm

Fosil

July 13, 2012, 09:29:55 pm Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 09:40:22 pm by Tojoe
(In hopes that I create more sprites, as I often wish to.)

My latest sprite: Phara, the sea-faring Pirate. (Or, you know, whatever you see her as being.
She isn't complete--there are still some... nits... to be... picked... out. As it were. That, and the portrait.
I want her hair to be red. (Gosh, what is it with me and red-heads?) So an alteration will be in order...

I am aware of the funny business with her hands blending into her hair on casting animations. Perhaps the 16th sprite colour can fix that?

Base sprite: Female Ninja; Hair: Female Assassin; Sash: Rapha
Colours may not be to FFT standards. (Did not use entirely existing sprite colours here and there.)
Total colours used: 15 (including black)

In addition, I am toying with the idea of adding white boot... seams? fabric? ... things to spiff it up.

Critiques? Ice cream? Oh please, be ice cream!
  • Modding version: PSX

Elric

Wow, this is really nice, very done  :mrgreen:

MiKeMiTchi

The 'white boot fabric' concept surely makes the sprite more unique. I'd go with that. Still, I'd prefer standard FFT colors for her, esp. in the hair and bandanna\sash.

Looking forward for updates. ;3
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

Celdia

I could definitely make use of this in my next update if it were finished. Love the concept.
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Jon

As long as you don't go over 16 colors including the background, all should work fine. I like it, all you need is the portrait and should be good to go :mrgreen:
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Fosil

July 14, 2012, 05:01:30 pm #5 Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 12:25:49 am by Fosil
By Gafgarion's nippled-forehead, I was expecting negative reviews. I'll have the alterations done as soon as I'm back to my desktop. Thus, the portrait will have to wait, as well.

Plus, I may go as far as sampling other colour options for her hair, chest and leggings. Not to be misread as 'hairy chest with leggings'.

EDIT:
I tampered with her palette, making sure all colours were true to FFT standards. Also, how does she look with brown skinnies? (Ripped straight from the female Ninja's alternate palette) Using this brown allows the palette to shrink to 14 total colours! (Again, including black.)

So, then, the question is, what can I add in those 2 colour spots?  I was thinking something blue-like or another cool colour to compete with all the warm colours in her sprite. However, now the light boot details look horrid. Perhaps the extra colours could fix her hand-hair blending troubles AND allow me to redo the light boot details?

Thoughts?

Twinees

I much preferred your previous colours for the hair, the saturation was a bit less and the darker browns/black didnt blend so much (which was good). I also preferred your previous version with the black rather than the brown, as the black had a hint of blue which worked well. But in both versions, the green stands out as weird to me, i just dont think it blends with the pinky-reddy hair (main problem) or the black/brown clothes (slightly), perhaps you could experiment with other colours for sash and headband?

And yes the remaining colours you have remaining should be used to fix the light boot details. Take a look at what I did for the male berserker's boots for blending ideas.

Its looking pretty good so far though, reminds me of Faris for some reason.

Kagebunji

Everything Twin mentioned is spot-on. I also like this concept, and cleaned it up a little bit and changed some stuff. Here:
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Fosil

July 17, 2012, 05:32:22 pm #8 Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 09:22:59 pm by Fosil
Thank you for the input!  I'll be working from those suggestions, then.

Bonus! I drew a concept portrait for Phara! She reminds me of the bad-arse spawn of Lightning and Solid Snake. Kinky! That odd little scritch on her face is supposed to be a scar. After all, what's a pirate without a scar or two or other deformity? I know I may not be able to go into that much detail, especially with the headband, but eh.

And as an aside, here are other miscellaneous portraits. Some may be too detailed. (Too many colours would be used/whatever.)

Sterling LaVaughn

First thing that came to mind was FFV Bards, specifically Lenna.

The cuffs from behind are awfully dark!

Taichii

amazing drawings tojoe...
a little suggestion though on the phara drawing would be make the neck thinner? or is that intended / there is a piece of clothe on her neck?
Please do share your ideas and suggestion for my project:
FINAL FANTASY TACTICS : LEGEND OF MANA

Join our RP :)
"Desperation"

"PAIN. THAT'S WHAT KEEPS YOU HUMAN"

Fosil

Good eye! It is rather manly... Her neck will be thinner. These are just concepts, anyhow.

Update!
Attached below is an attempt to fix the skin tone-hair blend problem. Her main skin tone sort of becomes a custom... jaundice colour. But, hey, it helps it to stick out.
Eeehhh. Its late, and I'm tired. And I don't think it is very good. Someone, save me!

Also, some other minor things were fixed, such as Speech face animation. Oh! Aaaand now her bangs move when she walks! YAY!
I'll be working on this more in the morning when I have more energy...

Fosil

Morning update:
Her skin is un-jaundiced. (Replaced with a true FFT copied skin colour)
I breast-ified all of her sprite sheet now. (Previously wasn't.)
I also replaced the green that some of you did not like with the series of blues known as "Rapha-Sash/Slipper Blues"

Celdia

The blue fits very nicely here. I like it.
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Lijj

Fosil

I added the white boot fabric to her sprite sheet. Any problems/errors?

* NOTICE: I will be away for a little over a week, starting tomorrow, so I wont be able to reply or update anything. I may, however, come back with more portrait concepts!  :D

Fosil

Back from vacation! Oh, how I wish I were still there!

* Concerning my portrait concepts, anyone can feel free to use them in their artistic endeavors. However, I should note I may have been inspired by Guild War's profession concepts.

So, here are some of the best portraits I spat out!
I withheld some of more meh ones in the name of attachment-whoring and such.

Attached below is a .zip file containing ALL of them as well.

Kagebunji

I quite like the Necromancers, they look sick and interesting.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Lijj

Onion mages and the satanic time mages for the supreme reign.

Kihaku_FTW

Oh c'mon...the time mages aren't that evil looking.

The onion mage is nice, though.
Insert Comedic Signature Here