• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:52:50 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Image cleaning for FFT - The Lion War

Started by FFMaster, January 13, 2014, 06:12:17 pm

FFMaster

For Elric's patch, if we want the video transition from the Holy Stone video to the title screen to be smooth, we need to clean out the part that says "THE WAR OF THE LIONS". Unfortunately, we will need to do this frame by frame. The entire transition is about 40ish frames, but I believe only the last 24 frames need to be edited.

Here are 3 sample frames, taken from the beginning, middle and end of the transition:

If you are willing to take up this daunting task, please download the attachment below and give it a crack. Please leave the images in BMP format. Message me or Elric if you have any questions.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

Timbo

I've been thinking about this a lot. If we plan to cut out the tutorial section if we do, we could probably lower the New Game & Continue Options. This should make everything fit perfectly.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Timbo

Angel

I already agreed to do this, I was just at work. Consider it done.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Angel

January 14, 2014, 01:42:21 pm #3 Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 03:38:14 pm by Toshiko
An update: the movie is not cropped and resized in the same way that the title screen is to begin with, so I'm re-ripping each frame of the movie starting from the flash to have them resized properly. The problem is that the actual movie file is not PSP's 480x272 resolution, and FFM didn't take that into account. There's also a jarring brightness change from the movie to the title screen, so I'm fixing that, as well. I'm also going to change the logo slightly so that the banner is blank through the entire movie until the logo is title screen size, and then make a quick shine wipe to draw 'The Lion War' into it, reminiscent of the fire draw effect used in PSX vanilla's intro movie.

It's a lot of work overall, but shouldn't take me forever to do. I have few obligations over the coming days, and don't have work again until Saturday. Of course, if moving the title screen's selections for New Game etc is too far-fetched, I might be annoyed at having put in the effort. :v

Edit: I did not double post, the previous posts from Jack and Elric were just deleted as I was posting. Suck it! :P

Edit 2: Also, just wanted to show...

Old logo:

New logo:

Edit 3: Would there be any objections to outright redoing that portion of the movie? I could more easily remake it from scratch to reasonable facsimile than paint individual pixels while trying to mind the after effects.

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame

3lric

January 14, 2014, 05:40:32 pm #4 Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 07:26:23 pm by Elric
Wait what? I'm confused lol. The current video looks great on my game. But I dunno
Anything bout video editing lol. Will there be a noticeable difference when you recrop that
part of it?

Lol I should prolly jusy wait til I get home and talk to you about it on IRC

EDIT: I now understand whats going on, and am leaving this in Toshiko's hands

Angel

Okay, so since moving the menu items is apparently unfeasible, we have two options for continuing work on this item:

1) We splice the vanilla PSX movie end in (the part that draws the title screen), but modified to reflect our title.
or
2) I make another new title screen using WotL logo as a base with the needed proportions and remake the movie's end from scratch.

Option 1 is less work, but probably less desirable. Option 2 is more work, but could potentially be awesome. Option 2 is also about as much work as I was expecting to put in, so no big deal there; I'd just like everyone's input.

3lric

I like the thought of whatever will look better visually personally :P

However it's ultimately up to you

Angel

I have 25 frames of the movie redone, which takes us to clean title. Gonna do all the shiny things with it to fill up the rest of the 1.5 seconds.

Timbo

This looks beautiful Toshiko. Would you mind sharing the frames for the movie for those who want to insert a different banner for future projects?
  • Discord username: Timbo

Angel

They'll be posted here once finalized for FFM to inject. But you'd still have to basically redo the frames regardless, so it wouldn't really be best to work off of them.

Angel

And the frames are attached.

Jumza

Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Angel

I might revise the shine that goes across the banner; Xifanie says she'd like it better if it wasn't so sharp.

3lric

Either way this looks great. Thank you a ton for your hard work Toshiko!!!

Angel

No problem! This is the first time in my life that my years as an Animation major have been made relevant. :v

Angel

I only did one frame as a test, but the blur actually looks quite bad, to my eye. I'll leave it as is.

3lric

Alrighty then. Ill try to get FFMaster to make the updated video this weekend :)

MiKeMiTchi

Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

Lijj

Looks really nice Jupi. I think Xif is right..
I think you should fade out the reflection on only one side. the "back" part... or the second part to pass.

Angel

Eh... I think I'd rather just redo the banner shine entirely and do something completely different. It won't be soon, though. I have a 9 hour work day tomorrow, and too much to do the day after.