• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:40:34 pm

September Phools 1.3

Started by Xifanie, September 01, 2009, 12:51:19 pm

Xifanie

September 01, 2009, 12:51:19 pm Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 09:30:22 am by Xifanie
A lot of people fell for the prank, and supposedly some even got mad and ragequited! That's what you get from an 8 hours joke that some find of bad taste.

Here is how I started it:

Maybe you'll learn this the harsh way, but I had to remove the 1.3 forum section.
Square Enix hasn't sent us a C&D letter; that's not the reason.

You see I know a lot of people praise 1.3 but a lot are on the other side, noticing how ridiculous it is. Honestly I don't see the point of keeping a patch that only attracts members that I could say have a lower IQ than the rest of the forum. Please understand, I'm only doing this for the best of our community. I removed all the topics from the database so there is no going back now.

I'm sure most of you will agree that we should focus more on patches like Mercenaries or FFT: Complete.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

philsov

September 01, 2009, 01:08:37 pm #1 Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 01:32:04 pm by philsov
Edit:  You're probably serious, and this post was laughing along at the prospect, so I'll just do this instead.

:gay:
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Dome

September 01, 2009, 01:08:40 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dome
Sorry Zodiac, but what is FFT: item?
You mean FFT 1. 3?
And...are you sure this is the best way to deal with the noobs or the shitty users?
Until now you did fine with the banhammer...
P.s: 1.3030 will be the last?

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Xifanie

September 01, 2009, 01:14:21 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
It's fine with me if Voldemort continues to work on it, but not FFH. That's up to him if it's the last version or not.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

Dome

September 01, 2009, 01:19:02 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dome
So, if someone wants to download the patch, he must ask to arch?
Or the link for the download of the patch will stay on the site?
It' forbidden to talk of that patch here on FFH on not?
I apologize for all those questions, but this is a very big change to the site...until now, that patch was the "Shining part" of the forum (IMHO), and I want to fully understand what it's going to change from now on

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Xifanie

September 01, 2009, 01:27:34 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Of course I can't prohibit talking about 1.3 since the removal of the section alone will alone create a lot of changes.
The patch was never on FFH to start with except for early versions.
I won't stop the distribution either; I just don't want it to have so much attention anymore.

philsov

September 01, 2009, 01:27:49 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
So I suppose whenever a project gets done, popular, and draws people to this site it'll be shut down as well?

LD:  Start backing up everything.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Sephirot24

September 01, 2009, 01:41:43 pm #7 Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 03:30:18 pm by Sephirot24
I've never, ever imagined something like this would happen. I see you're 100% serious about this... but I think phil hit the nail... that project was indeed the most popular because we could say it was "finished" (regular updates but still). I understand your point of view, but 1..3 wasn't just a rebalance of the whole game, and most other projects, while still going fine through development, are not finished yet. Mercenaries looks awesome IMO, but they still have some time to go. The fact that 1..3 is so popular now doesn't mean people don't like / don't support / wont enjoy or praise Mercenaries (or any other project on FFH) when they're finished or at least a little closer.

I think this decision is too harsh. I'm not anyone to take decisions here though, you're the boss, and I'm a little afraid saying all this... but I can't help being sincere about this.

Mental_Gear

September 01, 2009, 02:24:47 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Mental_Gear
Why do you keep calling it 'item' and not '1.3'? At least keep a link to its downloads easily available, it's not a good idea to completely wipe all trace of a patch that many people enjoyed playing and was one of this site's main features.

beawulfx

September 01, 2009, 03:01:16 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by beawulfx
I hope this is a bad joke, while other projects showed more promise 1..3 was obviously the best thing the community had completed. I don't know how hard it could possibly be to ban stupid people once in a while. If it was that hard on you just give someone else the power to ban them, like Arch or Asmo or whatever who will not hold back on banning stupidity.

And if it's a matter of 1..3 getting "too much attention" (what an arbitrary conclusion to draw), Mercenaries is getting way more creative attention than 1..3 by far. Many great spriters, artists, and ideas are culminating their while the 1..3 forum is more about battle logs, discussion, and attempting to 'perfect' the total rebalance already in place. It's not drawing from any other project and eliminating it from the site isn't going to divert attention elsewhere. This won't have any beneficial effects (for anyone other than yourself), I can pretty much guarantee that. If anyone disagrees I'd love to hear their reasons though.

Anyway, again hoping this is a bad joke and not just a bad decision.
My FFT 1.3030 videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 18EFFEA0AD
My FFT: Mercenaries videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 174F169EE5
My FFV Random Class Challenge videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... C9F3BD69BF

Zeio

September 01, 2009, 03:28:24 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zeio
It's not April 1st.

Also, is calling it FFT: Item your way of saying that arch's way of making it difficult is giving a bunch of guys in each story battle 'item' command so it would be a huge sand bag fest ?  lulz  or how your guys all need item to stand any chance?

Mental_Gear

September 01, 2009, 03:50:15 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Mental_Gear
That probably explains it.

It's gone now though...great idea, deleting it all without consulting anyone, Zodiac.

Zeio

September 01, 2009, 04:04:07 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zeio
Alright I get it.

He has a filter on one point three so that it automatically translates to 'item' on the boards.

doubledown

September 01, 2009, 04:05:01 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by doubledown
Heh, this is ridiculous if its true.

doubledown

September 01, 2009, 04:06:17 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by doubledown
Quote from: "Mental_Gear"Why do you keep calling it 'item' and not 'FFT: Item'? At least keep a link to its downloads easily available, it's not a good idea to completely wipe all trace of a patch that many people enjoyed playing and was one of this site's main features.

The downloads are still available at http://fftdev.istaken.org/patches/Voldemort/

Dol

September 01, 2009, 04:08:03 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dol
Quote from: "Zodiac"You see I know a lot of people praise FFT: Item but a lot are on the other side, noticing how ridiculous it is. Honestly I don't see the point of keeping a patch that only attracts members that I could say have a lower IQ than the rest of the forum. Please understand, I'm only doing this for the best of our community. I removed all the topics from the database so there is no going back now.

I'm sure most of you will agree that we should focus more on patches like Mercenaries or FFT: Complete.

Hmm, I dont really know where to start.

I really hope (but am not expecting) that you didnt really remove all of the topics from the database.  I cant speak for anyone else, but there were definitely times when I liked to go back and look at the battle logs to see different strategies that people were using a fights and my old (sometimes flawed) but interesting thoughts about different things like my MR4M a long while back.  The loss of all that info out of the blue saddens me.

One of the reasons you said you took down the 1. 3 section was to stop the noobs from their postings.  This strikes me as a huge loss to the community.  People posted their frustrations and strategies in order to get help and feedback, and in turn, it made them better FFT players.  There were some flamers, sure.  The number of new players looking for help and advice dwarfed the number of flamers.  Personally I know that I understand the game much better than I did before and still enjoy it as much as I did 10 years ago.

What I'm really wondering if there was some issue that popped up between Zodiac and Voldemort that prompted all of this.  Thats my gut reaction upon reading the explaination anyways.

If you were looking for a way to cut back on how many people come to FFHacktics, I think you've gotten it.  I'll drop in from time to time to check on Mercenaries (which looks awesome LD), but thats pretty much it for me.

Thanks for the memories FFHacktics, both good and bad.  I enjoyed the time I was here, even when frustrated with the game from time to time.

-Dol

FFMaster

September 01, 2009, 05:57:38 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by FFMaster
This has gone way too far out of hand, with people seriously quitting.

THIS IS A JOKE. DO NOT QUIT BECAUSE OF THIS!

I hoped people would catch on with 1.3 being changed into FFT: Item would send the alarms ringing.

Also, it is perfectly possible to play it without Item I'm sure.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

Nexus

September 01, 2009, 06:21:43 pm #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Nexus
Not funny.

Archael

September 01, 2009, 06:24:32 pm #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
QuoteWhat I'm really wondering if there was some issue that popped up between Zodiac and Voldemort that prompted all of this.

there was no issue between me and Zodiac... I have no idea what Zodiac is talking about or why

Desocupado

September 01, 2009, 06:37:58 pm #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Desocupado
This is like what happened to one of  Diablo's most popular mod, Median.
It really clustered the main forums  with posts mainly focused on balance issues, builds, patch requests and etc.

May I suggest creating a "non-hosted mod" forum, moderated, where all posts are locked, and only the moderator can post and submit info as non-hosted mod's:
1 - Concept-Main Features
2 - Actual version
3 - Latest change log
4 - links for downloading etc

So some people don't lose their trip browsing the forums, and we give some support to mods closer to the final version.