• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

"Newbie" hacker to "beginner" status: So

Started by battery890, March 25, 2009, 04:30:23 am

battery890

March 25, 2009, 04:30:23 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by battery890
I started out dabbling with some of the programs on this site and started getting into it more and more.

As of now I am fairly comfortable:

- Changing around job stats/skillsets
- Balancing items/abilities
- Creating new skills (re-using effects), mixing around formulas
- Changing sprites / portraits / unit formation appearances (took me forever to get assassin's sprite to appear in my unit formation screen!)

Now I'm moving on to event editing.  Two main things are sort of bothering me.

1.) Tweaking a forumla or ability seems to screw with hard-coded % hit variables (meaning not when %hit is the Y variable).  For example, when I tried to give a mana cost to sword skills, the 25% chance for Death sentence, death, don't act, etc....jumped to 100% without me touching the original formula!  I did nothing other than give them a mana cost greater than 0.  Sure enough, as soon as I took the mana cost back to 0, the % hit of the secondary effects went back to 25%.  I'm confused by this

2.) I tried (and this took a while) selecting "always" instead of "randomly present" for nearly every single enemy in every single random encounter....for the sake of challenge.  However, it seems like 95% of the encounters are still with just 3-6 enemies.  I was about to assume that the game wouldn't allow any more than this, but one random encounter in chapter two had 8 enemies.  The thing was, there was only 3 sprites (meaning 4 of one sprite, 2 of another, then 2 of another).  Does the sprite count have anything to do with how many enemies the encounter dumps in?  Is there any way to have the entire "randomly present" list included in every fight?

Thanx in advance for any help.

Rakiston

March 25, 2009, 05:52:18 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Rakiston
Don't know about 1, but for question 2, make sure the units have different X/Y Coords.  Many of the "Randomly Present" enemies have the same coords.

Skip Sandwich

March 25, 2009, 08:07:58 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
for your first question, the holy sword formula is hard coded to add status at 100%, the reason it doesn't normally is because the status inflicition for those skills are flagged as "Separate" as opposed to "All or Nothing".

All or Nothing - if the attack hits, attempts to inflict all status effects simultinously, chance of infliction is dependant on formula used

Seperate - if the attack hits, all status effects have a seperate 25% chance of triggering, independent of the formula used
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

Kokojo

March 25, 2009, 04:54:35 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kokojo
Out-topic, For more help on event editing, join the chat : http://www.ffhacktics.com/chat/?nick=battery890

Zodiac, Me, Lasting_Dawn and cheetah are always available to help you.
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.