• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:56:51 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

[Sprite] Generic Shooter_M WIP

Started by R999, June 19, 2010, 09:32:39 pm

R999

Latest:

Old:
Hair Proto R2:

This is my second prototype for Shooter_M R2,

Previous prototype Shooter_M R1:

Both versions are highly colorable.

Kage's prototype:

Concept Art / Inspirations (much thanks to Kage's friend for drawing the first one:

(Thanks!)

Incase Kage wants to continue the sprite, here I have attached all of my working files below

Hair
Will be working on a custom hair for him. But that's low priority at this point.

Arms
I should be able to finish it really fast if we aren't doing the whites on his arms. What do you guys think?

Trenchcoat
It's doable and it's not hard. Pretty easy edit. Depends what you guys prefer? It's nice to have for consistency across the genders.

Female Comparison
Female sprite needs to be recolored, and she is highly colorable.

Zozma

including the cape in "previous" prototype would further distinguish him more from the template he came from (balthier) but both look nice...
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

R999

The first thing I did to Balthier's base was changing it so that it becomes "colorable". Just some playing around,

(ignore the first 2 views)

The shading on the cloak of the trench coat is tricky. This one needs some clean up but is doable.

Kagebunji

Shading is better, overall looks good. Just the hair as you said. Why you created another topic for this when we already have a topic about sprites? This only trashes the forum.

Zozma

R999

Quote from: "Kagebunji"Why you created another topic for this when we already have a topic about sprites? This only trashes the forum.

@Kage: I am not a fan of looking at mega threads that are 50 pages long. This is a WIP thread for us to keep track of notes, mostly for offline communication. WIP threads should be locked up and trashed when the sprites are completed. Make sense?

Kagebunji

No, doesn't makes sense, cause I would update the topic with finished sprites, look at Mercenaries sprite topic to see how it worked, it has around 60 pages, but every sprite is on first page, in one post. This makes sense.

R999

That's exactly what I don't want to happen, Kage. Say, if I wanted to search for a Shooter concept art somewhere, I would then have to dig through 50 pages?[/i] This thread will die as the sprite gets completed (which probably won't be long). Just link to this thread from the main spriting topic. We'll have a WIP thread for each sprite. They'll die down as we move on.

Zozma

heres what i think (first of all, i love that rust red it looks great!)
I like that the individual sprite projects are in seperate threads so no other sprite project discussions are jumbled in.
it just seems cleaner to me.

i think having the seperate ones and then perhaps a thread listing and displaying the complete ones seems good...

and also, i think squabbles over that sort of thing should be saved for a "suggestions" topic

Lijj

I agree. from now on I'll make a new thread. I dislike looking thru pages&pages searching for one post. Like when I tried to find that Red Mage I finished... It took forever to find.
  • Modding version: PSX

R999

Even Square's team makes mistakes too,

I didn't believe it at first, but no matter how I look, Balthier's head is 1 pixel off in Square's version. Well, I guess this is debatable, but what do you guys think?

Zozma

lol, really? thats pretty obvious

Asmo X

There's all kinds of stupid crap scattered amongst the game's sprites. This is relatively minor.

Kagebunji

Quote from: "R999"They'll die down as we move on.
If you can hold to that, then I am alright with that. And that mistake is, like Asmo said, on many sprites, I saw such things few times already, heh.

Zozma

Quote from: "Asmo X"There's all kinds of stupid crap scattered amongst the game's sprites. This is relatively minor.

Ovelia also has a single pixel mistake in her magic casting animation

R999

I have a compeleted version without the trench coat, will be saving that for another base. Though, here's what I have so far for the trench coat version... oh, and yes I like the crimson red, but since all my working files are already colored I'll leave that until the end.

Edit: forgot to fix the white collar on some arms... oops.

Edit: hmm... I am not quite liking how this turned out. Right now, it looks like he has a cape attached on him, rather than looking like it's one piece. I suppose editing the shirt and belt area would fix this, however...It is not in my interest to be doing that. I think I will just stick to the non coat version for the time being (he looks great already) and move on to other projects. Unless one of you can come up with a suitable edit (the back walking frames and back attacking frames will have no problem, however). I am going to work on his hair right now.

Sheet:

R999

Hair's finished.  But I can't decide what style to go with, you have 5 options. Come on Lijj, fix your internet I need some advice !

A

I'll try to trim it down some more...

Edit: Another update, I told you I'll give it a trim :)

B

Here's another version with a more natural "S" shape, but I am not a fan of it though:
C

D
Here's another one with more simple shapes:

E
More realistic shading, mix between D and C.

What do you think?

Zozma

nice! now i want to see a portrait to reflect that anime picture :)

R999

For comparison,

Note: This is a 1:1 ratio comparison, even though Ken's head may appear larger than usual due to unrealistic and limited shading

I didn't use Ken's hair (I believe that hair was done by Twinees and or Asmo?) as a base. I have learned that doing hair from scratch is usually better/easier. Shooter_M's hair is so easy compared to that Warlock_W hair that I spent 3 days on.... that was a nightmare.

LastingDawn

Haha, Mello from Death Note, hmm? There was a portrait flying about of him. Interesting choice. As always, looks good.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!