• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Arena battle videos and discussion

Started by PX_Timefordeath, August 04, 2010, 06:49:51 pm

Barren

True, i suppose there's no need for debuff spells since there's already one in Dispel
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

Otabo

Exhibition matches as requested by PX.

Skip Sandwich

...wow, was that ever the most unlucky match possible for me
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

The Damned

PMing you with the newest team, Barren.

With regards to the Otabo videos, what the hell is with people using dual Iron Boots now? No matter, their tears shall flow soon enough if all goes according to plan.

As said on Youtube, I found it hilarious that this happened in the match between two people who get stabbed in the back by the RNG even more than myself. Got to love Carve Model's haxiness.

I honestly want to know how much stats were amassed throughout this. Beyond that, I'm surprised the Mimes did so weak damage from the get go. Hunh.

I really want to see someone use the Ninja techniques that kills people in their Sleep (which can be dodged for some reason, though maybe that's necessary). I'd use it since I'm actually using Ninja for once, but not for that.

Thanks for making me realize that Iron Boots people are Jump-fodder. (Shows how many people actually use Lancers).

Again, much respect for using Lore for everything but "hit everyone, everywhere" techniques.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Barren

FFT Arena Exhibition Matches requested by Otabo

The Damned

Hunh. I thought I had commented on these already.

So nice to see a new team of Skip Sandwich actually win for once without getting sodomized by the RNG. Also nice to see both a Bard and a Dancer without Iron Boots and a Cursed Ring user, even if it is a bloody Paladin.

Weird to see people testing out their BETA Tournament teams already when there might be a loser's bracket. That might just be my feelings, though. Not much else to say since this battle was honestly kind of curbstomp-y.

Fuck yeah. Bio use and Stone Gun use. Not much else to say besides that wasn't said above, though this battle was more even at the beginning of it.

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Barren

FFT Arena Exhibition Matches requested by LightningHax

The Damned

Thank you for the videos as always, Barren. I'm guessing that LightningHax's request happened before or the same day as I retired that shitty Death-based team he fought, right? That's only reason why I think they would be fighting--not that that was much of a match; the rain just added insult to injury.

Oh well, I suppose even that horrible display wasn't entirely pointless since it just reinforces that Death does indeed suck, Reflect isn't nearly as useful as it was before despite being arguably more difficult to get now and compatibility needing to be toned down. Also shows why I probably won't bother using high faith teams for a while unless I'm testing something since I don't want to spam Lore or Raise 2 or Haste or Lich, i.e. the only really useful spells.

Semi-bitching aside, I enjoyed Shade's match and I suppose PX's match was equally informative too. I still don't understand why people are whoring dual Iron Boots of all a sudden; the only team that it's made sense on so far has been Pokeytax's "Luzhin Defense" team.

*shrug*

Shade

Why do you guys like my academy team instead of True Doom Archers?

Well anyway I request that true doom archers fights againts guys with a death wish! I mean everyone!
Upupupu...

Zetsubou

Skip Sandwich

I would like to request some more matches featuring Team Evil Sword please.
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

Otabo

I can hook you up with some matches probably on Tuesday if you want, Skip.

Barren

Quote from: Shade on January 24, 2011, 01:17:46 am
Why do you guys like my academy team instead of True Doom Archers?

Well anyway I request that true doom archers fights againts guys with a death wish! I mean everyone!

i can put up your archer team if you want me to shade, just pm me on who you want to face

Shade

Wow I realised how many of theam are something to do with dancing, singing, or lore magic(meaning all hitting spells).
I also realised there is so many teams with elemental absorbing.
I also realised there is no tanky team that doesn't have sing ,dance, lore.
I realised how many counter flood there is, it's like every second team.
I realised how many monks is there, and it seems weird to use them unless you want status protection, since squire can do damage better.
Iron boot fetish is weird.

Just saying that we have little too much the same.
Upupupu...

Zetsubou

The Damned

January 24, 2011, 08:15:25 am #493 Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 09:06:48 am by The Damned
Why don't you fight CT5Holy's Standstill team or something? (Provided that he's taken into the account the fact that two of his units can no longer have Concentrate.)

That team doesn't fall into any one of the categories you seem to take issue with.

Quote from: Shade on January 24, 2011, 07:50:13 am
I realised how many monks is there, and it seems weird to use them unless you want status protection, since squire can do damage better.

Sigh.

I know I'll probably regret asking this, but how is this possible when Monks have Innate Martial Arts and 3 more PA even before that? (Rhetorical, but humor me if you will.)

Quote from: Shade on January 24, 2011, 07:50:13 am
Just saying that we have little too much the same.

I'm pretty sure everyone realizes that. It's pretty inevitable given what's effective is effective.

Still better than Innate Two Sword Ninja and the like being on literally every other team.

Barren

FFT Arena Exhibition Matches requested by The Damned

Iron Boots Edition!

Melancthon

Almost hit the damage cap right there!  So close!
Just a collaborator plotting collaboration.
"WHATS ST AJORA'S DEAL DUDE!?"

Shade

Why don't you fight CT5Holy's Standstill team or something? (Provided that he's taken into the account the fact that two of his units can no longer have Concentrate.)

Well actually I totally missed Standstill team.

Sigh.

I know I'll probably regret asking this, but how is this possible when Monks have Innate Martial Arts and 3 more PA even before that? (Rhetorical, but humor me if you will.)

Well yeah I really do like more the shield, more move, mp and hp over monk's(comparing both of them with max pa(sq 17 pa, mk 17)) ribbon, monk does have does have martial arts as an innate, but I would still use some other jobs to use martial arts with something else, usefull as ribbon is. That is just me.

I'm pretty sure everyone realizes that. It's pretty inevitable given what's effective is effective.

You make everyone sound that they ONLY want to win, I can only hope that is not the case.
Upupupu...

Zetsubou

The Damned

January 24, 2011, 08:40:39 pm #497 Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 10:52:16 pm by The Damned
Wow, I have shit luck, but I actually really like that "Oil Ocean" team and this time I believe it actually has potential unlike the Zalera's Wings team. Thanks Barren. I think I know how to fit and it's need of a massive overhaul, at least equip-wise; it seems like having range and self-healing actually worked against me, which is rather a pleasant surprise since I wasn't really too keen on doing yet another "absorb" team "just because".

Excellent match. I think this might be one of the best matches in Exhibition so far, even if I lost because the AI is ultimately a cyclic dumb-ass and Robotnik's fat got hit by at least every other Slow Dance.

As I suspected, the real threats on his team are the units with Iron Boots, which is pretty much the exact of every other (dual) Iron Boot team, which is why I think it works. I could have sworn that in dual breaks, the second swing should have done damage, though. I wonder why it didn't....

I was also surprised that Kagesougi both ended up mattering (for a little while) and that it didn't double swing. Well, at least that is conclusively figured out.

Ugh. Why the hell do I have such shit luck with applying status outside of completely hax-y situations that I have no business actually winning?[/quote]

Again, I fucking hate Carve Model. God damn Petrify proc seems like it's 50% whenever I get hit by it.[/quote]

Quote from: Shade on January 24, 2011, 12:35:49 pmWell yeah I really do like more the shield, more move, mp and hp over monk's(comparing both of them with max pa(sq 17 pa, mk 17)) ribbon, monk does have does have martial arts as an innate, but I would still use some other jobs to use martial arts with something else, usefull as ribbon is. That is just me.

Everyone class can use Ribbon, and it's not like Ribbons prevent Monks from using a Power Sleeve, a Bracer and Attack UP. It's just that no one really has since it's overkill. If you're talking about having access to MA-based damage (that tends to get re-directed back on the user), then, yes, Squires have a better range of damage and of course they have more options given they're equipment. But they're not going to magically start hitting harder than Monks due to how inherently stupid (innate) Martial Arts is.

Quote from: Shade on January 24, 2011, 12:35:49 pmYou make everyone sound that they ONLY want to win, I can only hope that is not the case.

Then your hope, like most hope, is in vain. I'm not going to speak for other people, but saying that people aren't "playing to win" when basically half of the point of Arena is utilizing overpowered crap to help be scaled down better is naive.

I personally don't want to "only" win and am more interested in trying to test out stuff that people haven't been using, which is part of the reason that my teams tend to suck and lose.

Perhaps if the teams weren't controlled by AI, then you'd see more variation, but considering how...limited the AI is, going with what's known to be or seems like it very obviously will be effective is, again, effective.

CT5Holy

Quote from: The Damned on January 24, 2011, 08:15:25 am

Yeah, I've made adjustments. I love that team, will definitely try to keep it updated =P

Really neat idea on the Short Edge + Flame Whip combo, Damned.
Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney

pokeytax

January 24, 2011, 10:39:15 pm #499 Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 10:47:47 pm by pokeytax
GG The Damned. Definitely a problem with Iron Boots - my team can't close the deal. Torn between guilt over inflicting two horrible grinding matches on Barren and love for absurd team design... maybe I will lose the dancers, the irony of having Dance and Iron Boots on different units isn't worth an extra five minutes per match.

Something is definitely wrong with those Breaks though.
  • Modding version: PSX