• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:42:19 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

FFX FFT; breakpoints not working in formation menu

Started by Talcall, January 08, 2020, 01:01:11 am

Talcall

Not sure if this is just a version thing, but I've found out that using breakpoints in the formation screen on any address for WORLD.BIN doesn't trigger anything, but the breakpoint will trigger immediately when a battle is loading (likely due to the breakpoint triggering an address in BATTLE.BIN instead. I've heard these two bins can't be loaded at the same time). this is really unhelpful when the things i want to edit in particular are on the party screen, and not any battles, as it makes it hard to learn what any given address will do when it isn't listed explicitly on the site wikipedia. Is this something that occurs to everyone? is there a solution?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
""The only thing more hardcoded than FFT, is more FFT."
    - A wise man"
       - Talcall
  • Discord username: Talcall

3lric

I've been able to memory edit things for the formation screen just fine. You just have to make sure you are not current in the screen (be instead looking at the worldmap) make your memory edits THEN go into the formation screen.
  • Modding version: PSX

Xifanie

You should describe what you're trying to do and how you're trying to do it because none of what you just said makes any sense to me. It's hard to help anyone who doesn't thoroughly describe their issues, especially when it comes to high level stuff like that.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Talcall

I'm not sure there is any other way to explain it. i must have gone off on too much of a tangent.
breakpoints only work in battles, and not on the world map or formation screen, i want it to work on the formation screen. I can edit the code, and the game reacts accordingly, but breakpoints,  don't work on the formation screen.
    - A wise man"
       - Talcall

Xifanie

You have to put yourself in my shoes; I have no clue what you're trying to breakpoint here, or the address that you're using. You're not giving enough details. I'm not saying that what you're describing isn't happening, but I just want to make sure you're not overlooking something.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

Glain

You can hit breakpoints in the formation screen just fine.  It also doesn't make sense that the breakpoint would fire after BATTLE.BIN is loaded because that should overwrite the breakpoint (due to the way pSX handles execute breakpoints).  Are you sure you have the address right?  Your screenshot shows no breakpoint...
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Talcall

OK, I'll see if i can't better explain the issue.

I add a new breakpoint at the memory location 0x0125580, this is the location in memory that greys out the item and ability menus for generic monsters. i configure the breakpoint to read from memory, size 1, count 1, and no condition

then, i open a chocobo's ability or item menu. nothing happens.

so, I exit and re-enter the formation screen, and open either menu again, revealing nothing to happen again.

I load up the argath story battle on mandalia plain, form my team and the game freezes before the screen can load the battle. the breakpoint read something at the location and froze the game.

even if i already jumped the disassembly to the location i put the breakpoint, it seems it jumps again to the same location but with a different set of code.
    - A wise man"
       - Talcall

Glain

Use an execute breakpoint, not a memory read breakpoint.  The former breaks when the instruction at that address is executed; the latter breaks when the value from that RAM location is read (by a different instruction somewhere).
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Xifanie

To add to that, setting an execute breakpoint might not ever trigger a break depending on your CPU architecture, and I'll have a shitty workaround to provide if that's the case.