• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:54:59 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

RandMuadDibs Sprites - Cactite

Started by RandMuadDib, July 05, 2010, 12:44:32 am

RandMuadDib

July 05, 2010, 12:44:32 am Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 11:23:48 am by RandMuadDib
So yeah. Here's my first attempt at a sprite, using MasterGrand's Young Ramza Noble as a base, and then getting the cape from Vanya's Alternate Aliste, and messing with the palette a bit, fixing the cape and scarf. I know its not perfect but hopefully its good enough for someone?

P.S. i dont know if there's a specific format i'm supposed to follow so i'm just going to post a preview and the full sprite.

Edit: Oh yeah i didnt change the portrait from the original Young Noble Ramza. I liked it and i'm lazy.
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

LastingDawn

Ramza as a successor to Wiegraf, hmm? I would personally consider this as the ordinary 4th Chapter instead of that awful design they went with for that. Regardless it looks pretty good, I do see a few mistakes. Also why is Ramza's hair no longer blonde? Not enough colors?
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Kagebunji

No, LD, MasterGrand, to be honest, failed with his Ramza Noble sprite, colors were saturated, head was edited in a wrong way. It would be easier to just copy paste Ramza head into Wiegraf, he went some other way...
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

RandMuadDib

Wow i didnt even notice the color difference in the hair. After looking in the game it does seem to be closer to the color of the generic sprite, and vastly different from argath/algus' bright yellow hair.

By the way when referring to places and characters, do most people use the WotL translation or the original psx version? Personally i like the WotL translation better, it makes much more sense on the whole, but i do wish they would have kept some of the older names, like sAlgus and Sweegy Woods.

Kagebunji

We usually use PSX one, but if you say Loffrey, everyone will know you talk about Rofel.

RandMuadDib

Alright so I was going to attempt to convert the flan sprite from revenant wings, but it felt like a huge daunting task and I didn't knw where to begin. So I decided to do something a little easier first, the cactite. So far I think I have the walking animations done, and will post it later tonight after I get home from work.

RandMuadDib

Alright here are the walking animations for the cactite so far. Critiques are welcome, though I will say this is literally a direct port from the FF12:RW sprite, so i'm really looking for errors like extraneous pixels and unaligned frames.

Eternal

I'm curious as to how this'll look in game. Have you done -any- in-game testing yet, or are you waiting until more frames are done?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

RandMuadDib

Well i am by no means an expert in color compatability or whatever. I do know that this cactite is significantly smaller than most FFT characters, but i find that to be okay, because the cactite is only supposed to be about knee height anyway (according to the visuals in Final Fantasy XII). I have tested the animations in game so far, and have tried to align each frame properly. Unfortunately there were only three walking frames available in the RW version of the sprite, so instead of creating two new frames, i just repeated them. It looks like the cactite walks a little faster than normal as a result, but i don't think it looks like anything is skipped.

I also had to do a horizontal flip for the back frames since they were the other way around in the RW sprite, but that took all of five seconds after i realized that he wasnt facing the same direction as everyone else.

Next i will do the ZOMG i got hit frames (should be almost done with those) and the ARRGH i hit you frames (so counterattacks don't make him disappear). But i won't get those done or posted until tomorrow at about 9pm U.S. Central time.

I unfortunately have to be up in 6 hours so no more work on this tonight. Happy to answer your questions.

(P.S. if you get bored, throw it in shishi's on top of an SP1 monster sprite. I am currently using the treant sprite slot for testing. it should look okay but i would like your opinion as well.)

Twinees

It shouldnt be overly difficult to create the extra 2 (4) walking frames from the RW sprites. Only the feet and arms move right?

- Just had a closer look of have you've set up the sprite, it probably will look like it is going abnormally fast and haste will cause it to look crazy fast. I still suggest you make the extra frames.
(Does the program you are using have an onion skin option? that would really help if you did decide to make the frames)
  • Modding version: PSX

Kagebunji

Onion skin option? I think Gale has it, heh. As to walking frames, 3 are totally enough, I have only three for Lamia, Titan, Werewolf and Tonberry, and they all walk at the same speed as any other monster. FFT original monsters have 5 frames for walking, but those two frames are really the same(leg forward arm back, and other way arond) with few pixels changed. I will see if this Cactice really walks fast, it shouldn't though...

RandMuadDib

It does seem to walk a little fast, though I have not yet tried hasting it to see the crazy speed. And yeah, I'm using graphics gale. Not sure what the onion skin option is but I will look into it. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Kagebunji

March 19, 2011, 12:17:45 pm #12 Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 12:29:53 pm by Kagebunji
I looked closer on it. First thing, erase those small brown dots on hands, SE tries to cram too much detail on RW sprites(Titan is a great example too), use palette from FFT, this helps the sprite right away. Also, they tried to make the torn on sprites visible, a very bad move, too small detail for already a small sprite. Last thing, you placed frames in wrong order, so no wonder it is going wild. I will post a slightly changed version with proper placement in 10-15 minutes.

Edit: Here you go, fixed the sprites needles and browns. Note that you still have to change palette and fix movement on back frames. Use another monster to see how movement works(I used Lamia to see it).

Lijj

I like the size; should make a funny enemy.

RandMuadDib

March 19, 2011, 07:49:46 pm #14 Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 07:50:26 pm by RandMuadDib
Well as for the frame order of the animations, i've been going on this:
http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=3834.0

Is this wrong?

Alright, well i'll take a look at your fix and work on that. It doesnt look like you removed the needles from the back frames but that should take all of five seconds.

And as far as replacing the palette, you're saying that i should go through all the default sprites to find colors that are as close as possible to the current ones, and then use those?

Also, would people be interested in other palettes other than just green? I think it might be funny to have a blue or red cactite as well, and the default RW also contains brown, gray and apparently pink.

Kagebunji

As you can see, it was wrong. Use the monsters I made to know placement, I studied a lot on them so movement is ok on all of those(though Twinees knows better how to place them, mine are "drunk", hehe). And like I said, I wasn't touching back frames, you can do it yourself.

RandMuadDib

lol got frustrated trying to make more walking frames.

MagiusRerecros

Move Zig. For great Justice.

Also, Algus sucks up to level 5 donkey balls.

Twinees

Although its funny, please stay on topic.

Here's a little bit of help for you RandMuadDib (you can remove the spiky bits).