• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 30, 2024, 12:34:53 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

A few questions (mainly about animations)

Started by Grand Angel, November 03, 2015, 08:23:04 pm

Grand Angel

So lately I've been working on revamping the Archer class.  I've been working on the skillset a lot, and I'll put the ability changes I've made so far in the spoiler below (may be subject to change):

For these abilities, I made Charge a default skillset, took some of the high level spells and changed them.

Cure 4 -> Serrated Shot (adds Poison, ability effect is Black Magic spell Poison)
Protect 2 -> Shadow Shot (adds Blind, ability effect is Magic Sword spell Blind)
Shell 2 -> Head Shot (separate chance of adding Confuse and Berserk, ability effect is Magic Sword spell Confuse)
Fire 4 -> Heart Shot (adds Charm, ability effect is Thief skill Steal Heart)
Bolt 4 -> Reaper's Shot (adds Death Sentence, ability effect is Yin Yang Magic spell Doubt Faith
Ice 4 -> Throat Shot (adds Silence, ability effect is Magic Sword spell Silence)
Death -> Devil's Shot (30mp, damage [PA*(WP + 6), probably going to change this formula], and may add Dead, ability effect is Use Hand skill Shadow Stitch
Haste 2 -> Aimed Shot (essentially Charge+3, albeit with a different damage formula)

All abilities are using the animation hexes 07 00 00

With these changes, I've run into some animation issues.  Luckily for me they mostly happen when using a (Cross)Bow, the main weapons of the class.  What usually happens is the ability's effect playing twice in rapid succession.  If the target dodges, they will dodge both hits rapidly, and if the attack hits it seems like the effect is applied twice (status/damage indicators quickly pop up twice).  I don't actually know if the effects are actually being applied twice, but the animation makes it seem that way.  The animations are never in sync either, the effect will happen before the arrow strikes its target (which is probably what's causing the animation errors).  This never happens with any other weapon, but that's probably because no other weapons fire a separate onscreen projectile.  Crossbows seem to have a less terrible time than Bows, but they're both still pretty wonky.

I tested using Stasis Sword with a Bow to see what would happen.  The bow was drawn and fired, but no arrow was shot, and Stasis Sword's animation played out normally as if I had used it with a sword.  Is there any way I can do something like this with my abilities?  Even though they'll look silly without an arrow being fired, at least the animations will be normal.

Moving on, I've also run into some problems with the Aimed Shot ability.  First is the animation, or lack thereof.  Is there any way to use the "build power and use weapon" animation that the normal Charge skills use, or are those hardcoded to only work with the Charge skills?  I've been cycling through some regular ability effects (currently on Stab Up), but none of them really seem to fit.  Second, when I use Aimed Shot and move while charging, I stop charging.  How do I fix this?

Other non-animation related questions:

-I know people have modified Arrow Guard to block guns, but is there any way it can block Throw as well?
-Is it possible to combine all of the Ninja's Throw X abilities into a single ability?
-Off topic question, but is there a way to fix certain sound effects in psx 1.13?  For example, Galaxy Stop sounds incredibly high pitched compared to the regular PS1 version.

Big thanks to anyone who can help me solve these issues.

Choto

what happens here... if i'm reading correctly... is this. The game displays damage separately for "arrow hitting unit" and "effect hitting unit". So when you use a weapon-range ability with an effect, the game displays damage/status once for the arrow, and then once for the effect. This is what makes thedouble popup. I tried fixing it awhile ago but caused some nasty bugs in the process. Just gonna have to work around it.

Also... I think... when you use a weapon-range ability with CT.. and then move it cancels your charge. I could be wrong. I also think I made a hack for JoT5 that causes move to be greyed out if you use such a charge ability that way. I'll look for it later.

Charge abilities also have hardcoding for their effect. Idk how to replicate it with a normal ability.

Grand Angel

November 12, 2015, 11:24:20 am #2 Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 11:52:48 am by Grand Angel
Hmm I see.  Thank you for the reply.  I'll have to play around with it I suppose.  Some animations do work better than others (Stab Up for example seems to work normally).  The animations work perfectly with other ranged weapons, so I might just make the class Gun based or something.

As for the charging deal, I noticed with the normal Charge abilities, if you decide to use a Charge skill without moving, the Move option will be grayed out.  I wonder if there's some way to replicate this...

Anyway, I have another question.  When using abilities that target the map (ie Galaxy Stop, Math Skill), how do I prevent every tile on the map turning green when using the ability?  It's not THAT big of a deal, but I was wondering if it was possible to have the tiles only highlight what's being hit, similar to the previously mentioned abilities.

Edit - Yet another question...FFTorgASM has options to change Require Sword and Materia Blade to other weapons.  If it possible through ASM to make something require a Shield?  I'm thinking of a 'Shield Bash' ability, which would obviously require the caster to have a shield equipped.  I've been trying to learn how to use ASM hacking through the tutorials here, but I still have a long way to go before I fully understand.

Jumza

Just looking at galaxy stop in the FFTP, I'd say make sure you have Auto-Target checked, and Select Target unchecked? Not sure exactly but you could try it! If it doesn't, just try copying other things about the ability that would make sense if they somehow effected the targeting selection.
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Grand Angel

Quote from: Jumza on November 12, 2015, 12:08:52 pm
Just looking at galaxy stop in the FFTP, I'd say make sure you have Auto-Target checked, and Select Target unchecked? Not sure exactly but you could try it! If it doesn't, just try copying other things about the ability that would make sense if they somehow effected the targeting selection.

Well, I found the problem.  The abilities in question are pretty similar to the Scholar's in FFTA2, where they strike all units on the map indiscriminate of side.  I went into FFTPatcher and unchecked Hit Allies on one of the abilities to test it, and only the enemy tiles were lit up.  So, apparently having both Hit Allies and Hit Enemies checked causes this to happen.  Like I said it's not a huge deal, and other than that the abilities work perfectly so I've got nothing to worry about.

Jumza

• Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Grand Angel

*sees thread bumped with a new post* "Gods... is this Grand Angel guy STILL asking questions!?"

Why yes, thanks for asking!

...anyway, I would like to once again ask about an ability that requires a shield equipped.

Under Require Sword - What is the general hex number for Shields?  As I mentioned, I'm not well versed in hex yet, so I'm not sure what it is.

Under Require Materia Blade - Since FFTorgASM has all the hex numbers for all the shields in the game under this, would it be possible set the X value to all of those numbers?  Probably not, since Require Materia Blade has no Y value unlike Require Sword, but I figure it'd be worth a shot.

But anyway, thanks again to those who helped me.  As for the other issues, I've more-or-less figured how to solve most of them.  This is the only one that's stumping me.