• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:16:56 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Final Fantasy Tactics PvP

Started by Fina1Fantasy, March 21, 2018, 02:25:25 am

Fina1Fantasy

Sorry if i'm posting this in the wrong thread, but it looks like there is a way to play this game PvP on the computer using an emulator.

I first saw this on Youtube, but unfortunately it's in Spanish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xSLfFl51ig&t=986s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr7qX1bPHCA&t=200s

and i also found this, but it's outdated.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=13338

I don't know if maybe somebody here has created a way to play this game PvP already (other than using the PSP) but it's something I've always wanted to do and i'm currently trying to get it to work. Did anybody else know about this? and does anybody think they might be able to help?

Nyzer

It's all done with the PSP version.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Fina1Fantasy

Quote from: Nyzer on March 21, 2018, 09:30:49 am
It's all done with the PSP version.

The guy in the youtube link is using the ePSXe emulator, which is for PS1 games, that's not PSP.

I've been trying to get in contact with him, but he hasn't responded yet.

Xifanie

The second video you posted is WotL.

The first video you posted is on ePSXe, using a modified version of FFT: Arena. I made the original mod, but unfortunately, I did not keep any of the source material. Thus, to my knowledge, that's all there was to work from.
However, judging from that video, it looks like someone was able to reverse some parts into vanilla after all. But to my knowledge, this was never published/shared on FFHacktics... so I don't know what to tell you...

I never personally saw the appeal of waiting 5 minutes for the other player to make their move, so I never considered making the manual PvP version of Arena myself... plus all the downsides of not really being able to use your own save data's characters. And you can see how I've never been a fan of chess or other strategy board games. But back then I also wasn't very empathic, so it was easy for me to completely dismiss the idea thinking no one would care.

If you're not familiar with FFT:Arena, you basically use an Excel spreadsheet to generate memory cards with 8 units; 4 for the first team, 4 for the 2nd team, then, with the Deep Dungeon, you pick the map you want to fight on.

And the last piece of the puzzle is just a plugin that allows playing simultaneously. No idea what it is though. Of course, you're supposed to let the other player control their own units, even though all characters are controlled with Controller #1.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Fina1Fantasy

March 21, 2018, 08:07:11 pm #4 Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 09:31:02 pm by Fina1Fantasy
Quote from: Xifanie on March 21, 2018, 06:21:49 pm

The first video you posted is on ePSXe, using a modified version of FFT: Arena. I made the original mod, but unfortunately, I did not keep any of the source material. Thus, to my knowledge, that's all there was to work from.
However, judging from that video, it looks like someone was able to reverse some parts into vanilla after all. But to my knowledge, this was never published/shared on FFHacktics... so I don't know what to tell you...

I never personally saw the appeal of waiting 5 minutes for the other player to make their move, so I never considered making the manual PvP version of Arena myself... plus all the downsides of not really being able to use your own save data's characters. And you can see how I've never been a fan of chess or other strategy board games. But back then I also wasn't very empathic, so it was easy for me to completely dismiss the idea thinking no one would care.

If you're not familiar with FFT:Arena, you basically use an Excel spreadsheet to generate memory cards with 8 units; 4 for the first team, 4 for the 2nd team, then, with the Deep Dungeon, you pick the map you want to fight on.

And the last piece of the puzzle is just a plugin that allows playing simultaneously. No idea what it is though. Of course, you're supposed to let the other player control their own units, even though all characters are controlled with Controller #1.

Wow, i'm glad i can actually talk to somebody who actually made the mod.
I know the game can be very unbalanced which i guess is what turns some people off about playing PvP, but i think a lot of those things can be controlled or restricted to balance the game out more.
I think the game could get pretty popular if somebody made a PvP mod that was more easily accessible.
I don't actually know much about modding/programming yet, but i would be willing to do what i can to help if anyone is interested.

Xifanie

It would probably be easier to just try to get into contact with the person who made the video, to be honest.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

Fina1Fantasy

March 22, 2018, 07:29:07 pm #6 Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 10:29:46 pm by Fina1Fantasy
Gotcha, I'll send him some messages and see if he can send me some files or something and go from there.

Edit: I think i might consider making a mod of the game myself. The goal would simply be to just make a mod where you could play PvP quick and easy. I'll start with some tutorials/guides but i'm new to modding and i'm not really sure how i'll go about doing it.

Raijinili

Quote from: Xifanie on March 21, 2018, 06:21:49 pm

I'm not familiar with Arena. How can you tell that it's using Arena as the base?

QuoteAnd the last piece of the puzzle is just a plugin that allows playing simultaneously. No idea what it is though. Of course, you're supposed to let the other player control their own units, even though all characters are controlled with Controller #1.

I believe it's just screen-sharing software that allows remote inputs.

It looks like there's a convoluted setup for the remote inputs. The players seem to be scrolling through the On-Screen Keyboard buttons, rather than directly pressing them. I think they are using the mouse to click on the OSK. So that's Mouse -> OSK -> Keyboard -> Gamepad -> Game.

Xifanie

Quote from: Raijinili on March 23, 2018, 05:27:10 pm
I'm not familiar with Arena. How can you tell that it's using Arena as the base?

...if you don't care about Arena, why do you care about knowing this?

Quote from: Raijinili on March 23, 2018, 05:27:10 pm
I believe it's just screen-sharing software that allows remote inputs.

Well, that would explain the horrible lag/skips that we see in the video.

Raijinili

Quote from: Xifanie on March 23, 2018, 06:21:26 pm...if you don't care about Arena, why do you care about knowing this?

It's a hint to whether there's something to learn from them.

Xifanie

That doesn't make any sense. I already stated Arena is used as a base.

DARKANGELUXZ

Hello, I am the youtuber that make the video PVP-PSX, and one friend make for PSP. It's possible only for this forum ffhacktics. but the user interesting in test and playing PVP , can go to https://www.facebook.com/groups/finalfantasytacticslatinos/