• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:09:43 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

4 questions regarding AoE Jump, Multi-hit Summon, Aura Effect and attack+move

Started by Panda_Tar, March 09, 2012, 09:55:43 am

Panda_Tar

Hello there. I hope the title will suffice.

I'm new around here and hacking stuff as well, and I find these things pretty much interesting, specially when it comes to bring some new life to the games we most loved. :)

I was reading things here and there and I got curious regarding three things that I don't actually know if can be done with the hacking tools and codes you guys use, so I wanted to know if there's some similar mechanisms or even if it's possible anyway:

1. Immolation-like aura effect: e.g. you cast Immolation on yourself, and all surrounding enemies will be damaged each turn (for 'each turn' I mean every time any character does an action OR damage can be input only over each character when it's one's turn - affected) BEFORE they do anything, act or move or wait or blink. What comes first in my mind is a new ailment entitled Immolated or Burning, that would be inflicted on all surrounding targets, triggering damage following this and that parameter. Is this right? But this ailment should immediately be dispelled as soon as the surrounding targets move away or when Immolation Aura is turned off or gets away from range.

2. JUMP with larger AoE: is it possible making JUMP hitting a larger area, like range 1 or 2? And adding animation or multiple hitting properties? For example: there is this special movement from Star Ocean 2 called Spicule (first thing in the video) that I'd like to make as a similar ability for a Dragooner/Lancer, something of the sort, only you get the picture. The idea is having a large damaging area when Jump lands. The other idea is when the Jump finishes, it'll damage once and immediately after, as a 'shockwave effect', an animation follows damaging target(s) again, making it look as if it's the same ability.

3. Multiple-hit summoning: like we have in FFX with Anima, for example, or FFVII Knights of the Round. What I think at first is a similar mechanism as we see in Rafa's Truth skills, but making each hit have a different animation, in a way that it'll all look linked, as if they are all part of a single spell, so I wondered...

4. Samurai-dash like skill: it's that trademark ability we see in samurai-style stories - samurai dashes through the target, and gets to the other side. Then the target feels the blow after that. On this game, I mean this skill to actually be suitable to hit a line of units (like Kikuichimonji does), but the Samurai would have to MOVE to a suitable panel at the end of that line. If not possible, then the skill wouldn't be allowed to be performed. Plus, this ability can only be performed by spending two actions such as MOVE and SKILL/ACTION. If the Samurai already moved, then one would not be able to use this skil and vice-versa. In addition to that, it would mean new sprites for the Samurai to make that movement? Hum, perhaps not, only the animation of an ordinary attack, then disappearing and reapearing on the other panel, and a beautiful animation of slashing effect on all targets left behind.

Thanks in advance!

I cheated! :P 5th question:

5. Ailment that breaks EXP and JP gain: is there a way to make this ailment work in our current modding options? It renders target unable to gain Exp or JP when taking actions.
  • Modding version: PSX
Always interpreting the foul side of things makes you fouler still.

Pickle Girl Fanboy

All require ASM hacks.  The Exp and JP gain is probably the easiest to make, because that stuff's already been disassembled, and other Exp and JP hacks were made.

RE: Spicule
OW IT'S HOT OH HO HO HO!

I'd like to mod Star Ocean 2 someday.

Panda_Tar

Quote from: Pickle Girl Fanboy on March 09, 2012, 06:02:25 pm
All require ASM hacks.  The Exp and JP gain is probably the easiest to make, because that stuff's already been disassembled, and other Exp and JP hacks were made.

RE: Spicule
OW IT'S HOT OH HO HO HO!

I'd like to mod Star Ocean 2 someday.

I thought that would be the easiest as well. ^^

SO2 is indeed a piece of art.

Pride

#5 could be done pretty easily by someone since most of the Level Up routines are documented. #3 would probably be next since the multi-hit routine is documented but there's no documentation on the animations routine. But its probably very possible. #2 may not be that difficult either. The first and fourth maybe difficult. I don't actually know what to look for when a unit starts its turn. Its a reason why a hack of mine happens at the end of a turn instead of at the start.
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Panda_Tar

I see. At first thought, I was thinking that immolation effect would have mechanics similar to that of Dance and Sing abilities, from dancer and bard. But given that I'm not familiar with the hacking codes or with all these things you guys have been doing for a couple of years, I just don't know how to help. But, many things that I see here and there being doing by hacking quite impress me. :D