• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:19:14 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

After complete failure, I can't figure out how to start.

Started by Nature777, December 15, 2013, 06:49:28 pm

Nature777

Hello. I've been trying to start making my own edits to FFT. In the process, I looked at several tutorials (all of which seemed to require a base of knowledge that I do not have) and downloaded every tool on this site. Well... I crashed my PC and now it won't turn on. Needless to say, whatever I did did not work.

I want to try again, preferably on my Mac because it's a much newer/better computer. How do I start? What programs do I need?

I don't want to make anything fancy, I just want to add a few new classes. For one, I want to add a Red Mage and have it function like a blue mage where all of his/her spells are Monster Attacks. Can anyone walk me through this? I feel bad asking when there are so many tutorials available, but I haven't been able to make any real progress here.

Jumza

I'd be happy to ;)

The tool required for this is the FFTPatcher, downloadable from the tools section. You can also use the ShiShi sprite manager if you'd like to change what this character looks like.

Go to File > New PSX Patch (and then, when making edits to your already ISO use PSX > Open Patched ISO)

Go to the Abilities tab, and scroll down to the monster abilities that you'd like your Red Mage class to learn.

Important: Skillsets can have a max of 16 skills, not including R/S/M.

The 16 abilities (or less) of your choice now need to have the Learn on Hit box checked.

Once you've done that head on over to the job that you want to replace with the Red Mage job under the Jobs tab. Yeah, you have to replace something :/

Check the skillset that they have, and go to the Skill Sets tab and open that up, and find the one that matches the Job you are replacing. You can also edit the stats, innate abilities, equipment options, elemental affinities and starting / immune / innate status effects of the job you are replacing as well.

Once you have found the right skillset replace the drop down boxes with the old jobs abilities with the monster abilities that you checked earlier with Learn on Hit. (Not the R/S/M, but you can customize that as well if you'd like. Just don't put normal abilities in it.)

And that's pretty much it!
Hit PSX > Patch ISO, find your ISO file using the little box on the bottom and hit OK. You can also use the FFTPatchers custom Sceap.DAT file to let people know they are playing on a modded ISO file.

Other ways to customize your job can be done by exploring the Job Levels tab and some other more complex things later on.

Just a little note, when a non-monster unit uses a monster ability it will play a very weird animation. It doesn't have an effect on anything but that little graphical bit, so if it doesn't bother you don't worry about it.
If you want Monster abilities to be availible to your class from the start witout getting hit by them, Check Learn with JP(player) and change the JP cost and Chance to learn to something appropriate. You can check both Learn with JP and Learn on Hit so the player has the option of how they want to learn the abilities as well.

I hope this helps ;) I hope I covered everything. It's been awhile since I last did something like that in the FFTP. Let me know how it works out for you.
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Angel

I'm not sure how that helps with a Mac. I'm sure there are Windows emulation tools (like Linux has WINE), but since my only experience with Macs was in university, I have no idea what they are.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Xifanie

You definitely need Windows... using a Mac, I know in terms of virtual machines there's Parallels ($$$) and VirtualBox (free). But yeah, that pretty much need you will need to install Windows. Having a CD and all. Unless you go sail the seas as a fearless pirate.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Jumza

Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Nature777

Jumza! Thank you so much! I'll have my PC repaired soon, and I'll try this out on there! It would be nice if I could do this on my Mac, but hey, I'll take what I can get.

Just so you guys know, I found out that Winebottler works on Macs and I have successfully opened FFTPatcher and the ShiShi Sprite Manager on my Mac!

It's 3am here, I'm off to bed. I'll try playing round with this some more tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted to my progress! Thanks so much! You've all been absolutely wonderful and tremendously helpful!

3lric

Next time, use the Edit button, we do not allow double/triple posting especially with so little time between them.

Nature777

Alright, update! I managed to get a basic basic edit done. I gave the base Squire the Choco Cure/Esuna/Meteor abilities, and it worked! I've figured out enough to do more complex stuff than that, so I intend to do so soon.

FFTPatcher has worked just fine on my Mac via WineBottler. The screen is a little hard to see in some places, but it's manageable. I attached a picture so you can see what I mean.

I haven't been about to get Shishi to work. The program opened, but as soon as I open the ISO through it, it crashes. I think it's because WineBottler isn't prefect and my Mac just doesn't like Windows programs haha. I'm going to try again on my PC soon, I think that's my only option.

Also: trying to run the Animation tab froze the program. Probably a result of using it on a Mac.

Also: Trying to edit what Job Levels are necessary to unlock specific jobs resulted in the program crashing. I think I need to move to my PC to get this working. What I think that major take away here is, you can do basic edits on the Mac, but nothing too in depth.

I'll let you know how my progress is going once I get onto my PC, and I'll probably have a few more questions. Thanks again!

Jumza

Anytime :)

Yeah, the animations tab takes a long time for computer with windows to open as well. I can only imagine that it would crash every time for you. Same with ShiShi I guess.

It also seems  like you are missing the elemental controls for jobs... That kind of sucks too. Hope your other computer can get this to work better.

Nature777

I messed around with it a bit more and something weird happened. I was able to run Shishi on my Mac when I used it to open Journey of the Five, but not when I used it to open an unaltered FFT rom file. I found that odd. Also, I wasn't able to save anything I did while using Shishi.

I do have one more question. When I used FFTPatcher to edit the Squire class to have some monster skills, I created a new skill list using a blank slot, specifically A9. When I applied it and got the game working, the name of the skill set was blank. Do you know what I need to do to edit the names of skill sets? (In case I'm not using the right terminology, I'm referring to the title of a set of moves, like Ramza having "Guts" and a black mage having "Black Magic.")

Jumza

ShiShi doesn't have a save button, it auto saves.

FFTacText comes in the bundle with FFTP and ShiShi and edits in game text like those skillset names. To make it easier on yourself I would just edit the squire one because if A9 is blank, it can be harder to find and edit in the program. Although not that difficult :P

Nature777

December 17, 2013, 03:39:35 am #11 Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 02:45:03 pm by Nature777
It autosaves... derp!

Thanks! I'll report back soon haha

Edit:
Ok so, I got my PC up and running. I downloaded all the right programs. I go to open FFTPatcher, and it shuts down immediately. Same with FFTacText, ShiShi, and every other program I downloaded. Apparently, I don't have a choice but to use my Mac, my PC is just too old and busted. WineBottler is doing the trick, but I still haven't gotten ShiShi to work on here.

I know this is asking a lot, but if I finish editing the classes the way I want, would one of you mind editing the sprite for me? Either my computers don't have the capacity to run Shishi properly, or I'm just not computer savvy enough to get it working. I feel bad asking, so if it's a no, I completely understand. Thanks!

Edit 2: Actually.. I have another idea. I'm going to buy a new PC laptop. Any advice on what I should get in order to run these programs properly? I want to do this myself instead of asking someone to do it for me, I just need the right tools for the job.