• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Agrias guest sprite to unique character.

Started by scorpiova, April 14, 2017, 01:06:04 am

scorpiova

Hey ladies and gents,

I'm looking for clarification on an issue. I am using Agrias's guest sprite as a new unique character in my mod. This works perfect in chapter one and the orbonne scenes (prologue and chapter 2 opening). In formation I have Agrias as a guest and my unique character as well (with their own formation sprite as set up through UWentries). But once I get to battles where Agrias is a guest combatant - I get a lot of sprite confusion happening. I have Agrias set to 1E in all of her ENTD scenes. So not sure why the sprite confusion is happening.

I was reading in another post that to do this correctly, I HAVE to set all Agrias iterations to 34 (the quest sprite not the join sprite) and use the other one for my unique - and that I HAVE to not add my new unique until after Agrias join up permanently.

Is this accurate? If I don't make my new unique character join until after Agrias joins, can I still use 1E for Agrias and 34 for my Unique, as there should be no confusion after that point?

Thanks
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Xifanie

After characters join your party, they lose their custom assigned Unit ID. THEREFORE, events that are post recruitment such as golgorand execution site will NOT trigger talk events mid-battle between Agrias and Gafgarion because  the game will think Agrias is not there! You would have to edit the event conditionals to fix this... and well, you already gave up on eventing, so...

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think fusing Guests into their Join counterparts is the best course of action; just keep the Unit ID for the Guest Unit ID when the character is supposed to be a Guest, so that way, events will still trigger just fine.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

RavenOfRazgriz

You can add your character before Agrias joins if you're willing to do more in-depth changes.  You're getting "sprite confusion" because the events are seeing a unit with Guest Agrias' Sprite ID on the field and are ignoring the unit with Agrias' Unit ID.  Events behave this way so that scenes such as the Agrias and Gafgarion Talking event in Golgorand Execution Site work - once joining, Agrias loses her unique Unit ID but (obviously) retains her unique Sprite ID.

So, if you want a unit to replace 34 Agrias ("Guest Agrias") before Agrias leaves the player's party at Lionel Castle - you need to edit events!  In addition to all the scenes involving Agrias needing her Sprite ID and Unit ID being converted to 1E, you'll need to go through all the events where Agrias is present on-screen before she leaves the player's party - Chapter 2 Start, Dorter 2 Battle, Araguay Woods Battle, Zirekile Falls Battle, Zaland Fort City Battle, Bariaus Hill Battle, those two cut-in scenes with Ramza/Mustadio/Agrias/Ovelia, including all the insert conversations in each of these - and change all references to Agrias' 34 Unit/Sprite ID in these events to 1E as well. 

Doing this will allow your new unit that takes Sprite Slot 34 and Unit ID 34 to exist in the same scenes as Agrias, who should now exclusively be using Sprite Slot 1E and Unit ID 1E.  This is the "correct" way of repurposing the 34 Sprite Slot without any bugs.  Doing it the other way around (using slot 34 and not 1E) will stop certain scenes like the talking scene in Golgorand from playing unless you make edits in a similar vain to convert those events from referencing ID 1E to ID 34.

Xifanie

Oh crap, that's right. Load Formation will override whatever Unit ID you set... oops. >>;
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

scorpiova

Cool thanks for the info guys. I'm going to change around the sprites so that whoever is using one of Agrias's sprites will be later in the game.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

darkskyx

September 06, 2022, 09:28:36 pm #5 Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 05:56:00 pm by darkskyx
Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on April 14, 2017, 11:40:22 amYou can add your character before Agrias joins if you're willing to do more in-depth changes.  You're getting "sprite confusion" because the events are seeing a unit with Guest Agrias' Sprite ID on the field and are ignoring the unit with Agrias' Unit ID.  Events behave this way so that scenes such as the Agrias and Gafgarion Talking event in Golgorand Execution Site work - once joining, Agrias loses her unique Unit ID but (obviously) retains her unique Sprite ID.

So, if you want a unit to replace 34 Agrias ("Guest Agrias") before Agrias leaves the player's party at Lionel Castle - you need to edit events!  In addition to all the scenes involving Agrias needing her Sprite ID and Unit ID being converted to 1E, you'll need to go through all the events where Agrias is present on-screen before she leaves the player's party - Chapter 2 Start, Dorter 2 Battle, Araguay Woods Battle, Zirekile Falls Battle, Zaland Fort City Battle, Bariaus Hill Battle, those two cut-in scenes with Ramza/Mustadio/Agrias/Ovelia, including all the insert conversations in each of these - and change all references to Agrias' 34 Unit/Sprite ID in these events to 1E as well. 

Doing this will allow your new unit that takes Sprite Slot 34 and Unit ID 34 to exist in the same scenes as Agrias, who should now exclusively be using Sprite Slot 1E and Unit ID 1E.  This is the "correct" way of repurposing the 34 Sprite Slot without any bugs.  Doing it the other way around (using slot 34 and not 1E) will stop certain scenes like the talking scene in Golgorand from playing unless you make edits in a similar vain to convert those events from referencing ID 1E to ID 34.
This is what I was looking for just for the creation of new characters for WoTL! But I have questions:
-What about the portrait (WLDFACE)? It's the same than the non-guest? Because that's the most important thing to give a unit another avatar/sprite.
-Also, there is an easier character than Agrias to change as a Guest? Mustadio, Rapha... Idk.
-There is another way to add more characters without destroying others? (More than using Simon/Valmafra) It would be good. The only thing I saw is to replace Olan with another unit and change events but I don't want to destroy characters that have conversations.
  • Modding version: WotL

✪ Emergence 2 for PSP (EN/ES) - Play it now! ✪
A vanilla+ experience for PSP. Actual patch: 1.0+. More fixes in v1.1!
  • Discord username: darkskyx#9825