• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:54:30 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Weird Glitches

Started by theultrawolf, November 13, 2015, 09:18:06 pm

theultrawolf

I'm not exactly sure what could be causing this...from the modified TEST.EVT, modified WLDFACE/UNIT files, ATTACK.OUT, etc. It could also be an ASM hack. But a series of things keep happening. First of all, at random intervals, certain skills cause the game to freeze, specifically in the Deep Dungeon. The skill in particular that does this is a Raise skill. Other things that cause the game to freeze are selecting abilities, whether they be action, support or movement abilities, and changing jobs. I...don't know what could be causing this. I know FOR SURE that it's NOT the ISO itself, so...I have no idea.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Xifanie

I don't see how it could possibly be TEST.EVT/WLDFACE.BIN/UNIT.BIN/ATTACK.OUT.
ASM hack... ALMA would be the #1 culprit (if you are even using that). RAD would be a close #2.

What emulator are you using?
Hacks that aren't console friendly will crash/freeze the game on console and on the more accurate emulators.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

theultrawolf

Hmmm. I was thinking it might because I edited some rather serious flags which allow Deep Dungeon to be unlocked after the end of the game, a la Dome's patch, but yeah I was thinking it might be an ASM hack. And no...it's funny, I'm using ALMA on the main patch I'm working on, and it's never given me any problems thus far.

Jumza

Quote from: theultrawolf on November 13, 2015, 10:52:17 pm
Hmmm. I was thinking it might because I edited some rather serious flags which allow Deep Dungeon to be unlocked after the end of the game, a la Dome's patch

This wouldn't make abilities freeze the game unless you royally screwed up when applying them :P I don't think this is the problem.

I'd bet that it's ALMA, but I don't really know how to test / work with ALMA at all. Maybe try patching everything but the ALMA stuff, do some testing, then slowly add your edits back in and see what's causing the break.
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

theultrawolf

Nah, the patch with ALMA hasn't been giving me any problems. It's the one that I took events from FFT+. I've played that mod and it does the same exact thing, which is probably why that patch would was put in the Archives if I'm not mistaken.

Jumza

Oh you actually took stuff from FFT+ and put it into your patch? That's going to be where the bugs are coming from 100% :P Especially since FFT+ is soooo broken. The return to world map after defeating Altima ASM is what you want, right?

EDIT: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=8348.msg165486
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

3lric

It's in archives because Dome was in such a hurry to leave that he didn't bothering fixing it at all after release was incredibly buggy.

What event are you talking about? O_o There is only 1 event edit for FFT+ and it was just a small 3 line edit I did to remove the derpy Rad EVTCHR. Whatever your issue is, it's not event related.

The 'flags' you are talking about editing are done via the worldmap.xml which I also did the edits for, and they work fine.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53561892/FFT%2B%20Worldmap.xls

^ This will make it so the sidequests don't require you to have mustadio in your party, or beowulf as a guest to start. This will also make (in theory, since it's never been actually tested, but it's just 1 variable) the deep dungeon not able to be opened until you have the stone you get from beating Altima.

theultrawolf

Quote from: Jumza on November 14, 2015, 03:16:49 pm
Oh you actually took stuff from FFT+ and put it into your patch?

Yep, like I said, that TEST.EVT I ripped straight from that patch.
Thanks for that link though, that's exactly what I was looking for!

Quote from: Elric on November 14, 2015, 08:19:40 pm
It's in archives because Dome was in such a hurry to leave that he didn't bothering fixing it at all after release was incredibly buggy.

What event are you talking about? O_o There is only 1 event edit for FFT+ and it was just a small 3 line edit I did to remove the derpy Rad EVTCHR. Whatever your issue is, it's not event related.

The 'flags' you are talking about editing are done via the worldmap.xml which I also did the edits for, and they work fine.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53561892/FFT%2B%20Worldmap.xls

^ This will make it so the sidequests don't require you to have mustadio in your party, or beowulf as a guest to start. This will also make (in theory, since it's never been actually tested, but it's just 1 variable) the deep dungeon not able to be opened until you have the stone you get from beating Altima.

Aw, so did he leave the site for good or something? o.o
Yeah, I was under the impression it was an event command that caused you to return to the world map but if it's an ASM then that's not even a problem.
Well...then if it's an ASM that does that, maybe the TEST.EVT itself is just buggy. Or maybe it's one of the ASM hacks I put on that ISO.

Either way though, thanks for that link! I'll just start from a fresh ISO, add my event edits, re-add ASM, and see if that does the trick.
I think I recall seeing something about the "Enemies using more selective equipment" ASM being a bit buggy a while back, I'm wondering now if that's what did it.

Jumza

Quote from: theultrawolf on November 15, 2015, 02:48:13 am
Yep, like I said, that TEST.EVT I ripped straight from that patch.

When I read this, sirens in my head started going off and little people starting running around in circles screaming. Do not do this! Agh! Don't even try and transplant a clean test.evt file, just throw the old file away and put all of your things onto a new clean ISO (if you are a safe person and have backups of everything in separate files.)

FFT+ is so buggy that all the files in it should be considered unusable for everything.

Everything else like the enemies being more selective hack should work just fine after :P

3lric

There's nothing wrong with the FFT+ TEST.EVT

theultrawolf

Yeah, if it's just an ASM that causes that I doubt the TEST.EVT would be the cause of it. At this point though I think it's the ISO I ripped, because I patched that ISO (a copy) with another patch (Celdia's Complete Patch) and it freezes in the same manner. Of course all of this could be because I'm playing these ISOs on a PSP, but I don't see why that would be an issue either.

Lockeadon

different hardware=different problems. it could very well be cause you're playing on psp, especially if other patches are causing the same problem. it could also be the emulator. have you tried testing with a different emulator to see if that's it?

3lric

CCP and other mods that use Alma won't work on psp. They will freeze.

theultrawolf

Oh okay, so then ALMA *is* the problem. Eh, what a shame. I'll try to test these both on the emulator I have on my computer and see if they have the same problem.

3lric

There are several ASMs on the site that will cause that, but yeah ALMA won't work on a console.

Xifanie

Quote from: Xifanie on November 13, 2015, 09:59:28 pm
What emulator are you using?
Hacks that aren't console friendly will crash/freeze the game on console and on the more accurate emulators.

aaaaaaand that's what happens when people ignore me. 3 days of pointless posting.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

theultrawolf

I'm sorry Dx I'm just kind of out-of-date as far as knowing the emulation problems ASMs have since I've mostly ever emulated on a PSP.

Angel

PSP's PlayStation emulation is really quite volatile. It relies on the product code to pick out what high level emulation routine to use to make the game run, so you can make FFT unplayable just by changing the SCUS number to something else. And also, because it relies so heavily on high level emulation, it will fail quite easily by changing things that make no difference to the PC emulators and even actual PlayStation hardware. It's the most finicky of all emulators, by far.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

theultrawolf

I'm coming to realize that :/ Even accessing things like the Debug menu/activating flags in the World Debug cause the game to hang sometimes. The reason I was emulating on PSP to begin with because of the familiarity of the controls.