• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:39:58 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

R/S/M Modifying

Started by theultrawolf, October 31, 2015, 06:18:51 am

theultrawolf

So this is a bit of a newbie question, and I do apologize if it's been answered before; I will gladly take this down if that is in fact the case. But I've been putting alot of work into the small patch I've been working on recently and I've been wondering how exactly I'm going to go about modifying R/S/M abilities, and my question is, do I have to use ASM to edit the effects of a R/S/M ability, or is there another way to go about this? (in particular, editing one of the BIN files, using a hex editor, etc.)
Looking forward to responses.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Choto

if you're looking to change the effects (as in the effect animation and not what the ability actually does), you can do this via FFTPatcher in the abilities tab. There should be an Effect drop-down box and you can choose which one you want. I think?

theultrawolf

I'm aware you can change what it looks like with FFTP, but I'm looking to edit the effects of the R/S/M themselves. Also, changing the formulas for a few Action abilities in particular, but that's not quite as important.

3lric

To change the R/S/M the way you are thinking requires ASM. (Choto knows all about that :P)
  • Modding version: PSX

theultrawolf

Yeah, I'm starting to see that. So is all the information for those abilities stored in the BATTLE.BIN? Is that where the formulas are stored as well?

Choto

Yep, however it's not just simple hex edits like patcher does. You have to code what the reaction actually does. The code is here: http://ffhacktics.com/wiki/BATTLE.BIN and formulas are here http://ffhacktics.com/wiki/Formulas

small modifications are much easier to do than big changes, and there are quite a few R/S/M modificaitons already available. More will be available once JoT5 chapter 2 is released too