• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:14:22 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Changing english textures

Started by fluffypillow, August 06, 2016, 07:00:26 pm

fluffypillow

I'm currently doing some research on the game files to see if its possible to create a fan translation to my native language. I know some of you view WotL as an inferior version, and I'm not here to defend it; if possible, I'd like to make the translation for both releases.

I have no problems with the font and the regular text (made my own tools), but I have some troubles with the textures of the PSP version, for which I'd like to ask some help:

It seems some files like /OPEN/OPNTEX.BIN and /EVENT/MAPTITLE.BIN have been removed (or maybe they are with the unknown files?). I think these files might have been moved into the BOOT.BIN, like the font data; but if so, the format of OPNTEX also seem to have changed, as I didn't found any TIM headers in the BOOT (well, except one small texture). Do you know what happened to these files, or where would I find them inside the BOOT.BIN?

In the story text, I've found the subtitle text for the movie cutscenes, despite that the video files are actually hardsubbed. Is there any way (eg. ASM hack) to enable/show them in game, or they're just leftover from the development?

And another question, for both PSX and PSP: where can I find textures, such as "New Game", "Tutorial" of the main menu, or "Now Loading"? I've also seen a texture which contains the numbers of the height display, and also "h", "act" and the infinity symbol; where can I find that? And finally, the Objectives screen at the start of battles uses a different font than the dialogs, but I didn't find information about it in the wiki. How does that work?

fluffypillow

Ah, missing OPNTEX.BIN and MAPTITLE.BIN was a bug on my side. I've extracted fftpack.bin again, and now they are there.