• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:58:22 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

DTE for OPEN.LZW failed. The ISO has NOT been modified

Started by Dome, May 27, 2011, 07:08:19 pm

Dome

May 27, 2011, 07:08:19 pm Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 07:11:49 am by Dome
Solved using tactext 0.457. ALWAYS USE 0.457 or shit like this will happen
I've been editing my FFT 1.4 iso a lot lately, and everything worked fine
One day, this pop up
Whatever FFTactex version I use, this always pop up
I've tried with other patches, and this pops up as well
I've tried saving the changes as FFttactex file and later apply them, but I always get the same error
I'm stuck...any suggestion?

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Eternal

What exactly have you modified since the last time you successfully patched?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Dome

Quote from: Eternal248 on May 27, 2011, 08:16:41 pm
What exactly have you modified since the last time you successfully patched?

I've modified so many things I can't even remember
Maybe some ASM from FFTorgASM?

Eternal

If the whole "saving as a .ffttext and repatching from that" doesn't work, I'm at a loss. Maybe some text you entered was too long?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

MagiusRerecros

I've gotten this message quite a few times as well, but it's usually when I've tried to modify something that has been patched with FFT:C text. It's probably something along the lines of what Eternal said; you probably have too much text in the open.lzw file. If you haven't done it already, I suggest deleting all of the various japanese text that you can find throughout the various sections.
Move Zig. For great Justice.

Also, Algus sucks up to level 5 donkey balls.

Dome

Dome

Deleted a lot of Japanese text and it worked like a charm
Thanks a lot guys!

MagiusRerecros

Move Zig. For great Justice.

Also, Algus sucks up to level 5 donkey balls.

Cheetah

This is interesting news, I will keep this in mind. Perhaps it can help the problems plaguing FFT:C of late.
Current Projects:

lionheart17

This same shit was happening to me. I'm pretty happy I went to google and typed in the error and found this instead of starting a new thread and waiting forever. Thanks guys.
Killing with a smile.

DuMa_GaMeR

Guys! i really need some help!

i've read this entire post, and as you can imagine i have this problem too... The thing is, i've deleted every single japanese text, and i'm still getting the same error!

I just did some editing on 6(six) abilities names and descriptions! and i can't get this to work! so please what can i do now?

PS: Sorry about anything wrong with my english, I'm brazilian and i'm not used to type in english that much!
I may get it from the first time.
Or maybe not.

But Eventually, i'll surpass everyone's expectations...

Dome

Bump, because I'm having again the same problem ("DTE for OPEN.LZW failed. The ISO has NOT been modified") and this time trying different versions of tactext/deleting japanese text didn't help at all
(Of course I'm using the "saving as a .ffttext and repatching from that" method)

Choto

Could you post your ffttext file or send it to me privately? I can try to locate where it's running into an exception and maybe bypass it... source code is insane though no garauntees.

Dome

Choto

Well, I found some stuff handling the DTE, but understanding it is a different story. Here are the words of Melonhead:

What is DTE?
------------
DTE means dual-tile encoding. It's a method of storing text in the
game so that ONE BYTE can represent MORE THAN ONE CHARACTER.
For example, you might analyze the text and see that a comma (",") is
usually followed by a space (" "). So if you combine both characters
into one byte (", "), you can save space. Note that after you do this,
it is still possible to have a comma "," or space " " alone.

How does FFTacText do DTE?
---------------------------
First, it goes through all the files and checks to see if they are
too large.
If it finds files that are too big, it sorts them based on which
file is "too big"-est.
Then, starting with the biggest file, it analyzes the text for
common pairs of letters, performing replacements and keeping a list
of what strings map to what DTE byte. Once the first file is done,
it checks to see if the rest of the files can be compressed using
the information retrieved from the first file. If not, it analyzes
the second file, etc.
There are only about 100 bytes available to use for encoding text pairs.
If FFTacText runs out of pairs, it will give up and give you an error.

Also attaching one of the files in the source code solution from which the above excerpt was taken and which has some more info about TacText.

Aqueous

I just wanted to post here to share my experience with this error as well and at least how I personally avoided it.

I used to load the ISO and modify the text directly through TacText but without fail after doing this about 10 times or so I'd run into this error. I fixed it by not touching the ISO directly but instead creating and saving patches which I then applied to the ISO, and since I've never run into the error.

So if you're opening the ISO in TacText, stop and don't! Open a patch (or create a patch from the ISO), edit that, apply that to the ISO.

3lric

(Of course I'm using the "saving as a .ffttext and repatching from that" method)

Yeah, we all already know about that :P and it won't fix his issue.
  • Modding version: PSX