• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:32:11 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

theultrawolf's sprites #2

Started by theultrawolf, March 24, 2015, 02:36:28 am

theultrawolf

March 24, 2015, 02:36:28 am Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 04:03:12 am by theultrawolf
The first sprite here is a kitbash of two other sprites named Saber, a character I hope to implement into my new patch. She's a dark knight who suddenly appeared out of the middle of nowhere to serve the New Lucavi's interests. Time will tell if she's a good apple or a bad one.

Sprites used:
Corsa - Lijj
Lady Frimelda - Zozma/Smash

The hair is a bit of my own twist, as well as the palette, but I'll be likely to update this sprite more along the way to give it more of a Dark Knight look.
The newest spritesheet for her is about 50% done but the portrait is still a bit of a mess. Any edits/suggestions will be appreciated, I'll continue to work on the 4 sprites that have my attention currently and update them as I go and I'll most likely be adding more headswaps/edits as time moves on.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

3lric

March 24, 2015, 06:05:12 am #1 Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 06:58:58 am by Elric
Okay, I'll judge you... You should leave the original creators names in there (or give them credit in this thread). From what I can tell, you used both Frimelda and Corsa and then made some minor edits. It looks good, but the people who made those deserve to get their credit... I do like how you changed up the hair a tad from Corsa, but there is no denying that these sprites are what you used.

• Modding version: PSX

theultrawolf

March 24, 2015, 08:02:20 am #2 Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 08:23:49 am by theultrawolf
Updated

3lric

Thank you.

In regards to your first post, there are several things you can do to make it look different. However any of it will be a bit of work since you'd have to edit most frames. For example, you could change or remove the white trim from the bottom of the armor. You could also changeup one or both of the gauntlets a bit, though that would be a pain because of all the arm frames. Maybe even something like changing up the legs.

You could use additional sprites to achieve any of the things I listed above, as you did with Corsa and Frimelda.

I also wanted to clarify, I have no issues at all with frankensprites. Some of the better sprites we have are frankensprites and/or headswaps. Making these is a good way to learn to sprite and hone your skills. I just expect proper credits to be given where due since we've lost several great spriters on this site due to them not feeling appreciated and/or not receiving credit when/if someone else used their work.

You've done well with mashing the sprites together into something new and I really think if you continued along that path and took maybe the arms or legs from a 3rd / 4th spritesheet that you could make it look more unique and not as easy to tell what it was originally made from.

Kaijyuu

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery. Don't be afraid to use other people's stuff, though yeah it's nice to credit them.

theultrawolf

October 31, 2015, 05:09:29 am #5 Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 05:48:19 am by theultrawolf
I haven't had a lot of time to work on this sort of thing and I admit, I still have problems with shading hair properly, but tell me what you think about this.

Angel

The hair itself isn't bad. It's a bit too dark overall, needs more contrast. Other than that, I don't really have any complaints on the hair.

However... the hair doesn't suit the face. It's too big for the head for the style it is.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

theultrawolf

Hmmmm. I'll see if incorporating the Monk's hair color will make it a little less of an eyesore. Also, which faces would you recommend I try to incorporate here, considering the size of the hair? I knew there was something a little...off-putting about it.

theultrawolf

Here's a small color edit for that last one, maybe this will be more pleasing on the eyes, though I'm thinking it might still be too dark of a hair color.

(edit: Somehow using a portion of Ovelia's portrait made the entire thing look worse)

Jumza

Quote from: theultrawolf on October 31, 2015, 08:10:13 am
(edit: Somehow using a portion of Ovelia's portrait made the entire thing look worse)

Yeah, I'm afraid this second one was a bit of a step backwards. I think you squished her face too much vertically, the first face concept looks better than this one :P Keep trying though! I think it looks awesome!
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

theultrawolf

Elly, the Warden Knight
Here's another headswap for my new patch; I'll be posting more edits for her as time goes on.
She's a Warden Knight, which are knights of a holy order sent to catch criminals who defy the crown.

Sprites used
Animist Female - Lijj/Twinees?
Holy Knight Celia - MiKeMiTchi/Jon

Jumza

Oooh! I love it! Would you mind if I used it?
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

theultrawolf

November 09, 2015, 07:43:22 pm #12 Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 03:19:18 am by theultrawolf
No, that's completely fine! Use it however you like! :) Just be forewarned, I'm probably going to edit her up some more, but she should be fine as is. I'm excited to see what you might use her for!

theultrawolf

November 11, 2015, 05:11:51 am #13 Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 05:23:01 am by theultrawolf
An update for the Elly/Warden Knight sprite. The portrait was off by about one line, here's the updated version.

Adhelbert

Good job  :D but I think u should recolor the sprite because you recolored the portait already :).

theultrawolf

Quote from: Mike on November 12, 2015, 08:03:51 am
Good job  :D but I think u should recolor the sprite because you recolored the portait already :).

The portrait's essentially the same though. I didn't recolor it, it just wasn't positioned correctly when I imported it into the spritesheet and so it was one whole pixel line off. So I re-imported the portrait and just moved it over one so the rest of the portrait showed :) I figured out that it was off when I was making the WLDFACE and UNIT bins, the WLDFACE was over a bit in comparison to the original portrait I made.

(edit: I'll probably recolor her eventually though. I was playing with more bronzy-golden tones instead of silver and an orange/red fabric and trim instead of the blue/gold, but the only reason I haven't yet is because I would have to heavily modify the portrait.)

theultrawolf

November 13, 2015, 04:16:54 am #16 Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 05:24:55 am by theultrawolf
I've been messing with KANZEN.spr a bit, and this is something I've been working on. I've used bits from the Judge sprite as well. It's obviously far from done (especially the portrait) but I wanted to see if this might be a step in the right direction for a usable, edited, KANZEN sprite.

Jumza

The portrait makes him look like a giant flying bug :o I approve!

theultrawolf

I guess that's a way you could look at it! I was trying to certainly give it an alien look but the main thing I was going for was to make KANZEN scarier than Altima. I...guess it's working!

theultrawolf

Here's a different rendition of that "Saber" sprite's portrait, I used a combination of Agrias and Aerith's faces to come to this one. I'm still working on the short-haired version but this might be a step towards something better.