• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Terra Branford

Started by Smash, January 16, 2010, 10:46:26 pm

Kagebunji

Like Kyo said, plus change eyes on portrait, they look uber strange.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Lijj

Good points folks. Right Away! The cleft is bad, thanks for the help guys. We will have a nice sprite soon!
I'll look at more character portraits and try to get the eyes right.
  • Modding version: PSX

Lijj

This is it modified

Fixed upper body, Shoulders, EYES?

I'm having a bit of trouble getting the eyes exactly tacktics-portraitesque.
 Almost all original square designs are from the same angle and perspective.
Here's one decent reference(head tilted)

RolyTunedIn

this portrait is really scaring me, no offense. try the copy paste method instead of trying to draw from scratch...the whole portrait is way off of the fft style.i would've just used the one that kage posted up, but that's just me... other than that i want to see an update on that sprite ;D...

Lijj

I know! I thought there was something scary about that last one!
Yes; The green one's ear's messed up. But other than that I'm content.
1&2 or 3&4???

RolyTunedIn

the eyes are more fft-like. the shape of the face is another thing... it looks like ur using that baby's portrait as the head base and it isn't really working for me lol... there's a couple portraits out there that is using that pose out there that i can't think of at the moment.

Kagebunji

Zalbag for example. Her shape of face is just too round. And definitly go with the green hair, it looks far better.

Smash

Oh g.od

my thread

why

Now to make this post useful: Remember guys, edits over words. And many MANY refs.. They should always do the trick.

And Lijj:

THE UNWRITTEN ABSOLUTE RULES FOR MAKING DECENT FFT PIXELWORK BROUGHT TO YOU BY YOURS TRULY

FIRST, DON'T TRY TO SCRATCH SPRITE THINKING LIKE A KNOW IT ALL; FORGET THAT EGO AND START WITH EDITS, ALWAYS. THERE IS NO BETTER WAY.

SECOND, DON'T USE YOUR OWN COLORS, USE THE FFT ONES. THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH IS THAT THERE IS ENOUGH FOR EVERYTHING, AND ALL OF US MUST BELIEVE THIS BY FAITH.
(I could bet this was probably suggested before)

THIRD, HAVE A CRAPLOAD LOT OF REFERENCES

FOURTH, USE A SIMILAR PALLETE FROM OTHER FFT SPRITES. KEEP ALL THE BLACKS, BROWNS AND WHITE AND USE THEM ACCORDINGLY

FIFTH, NO BANDING, PILLOWING OR HARSH OUTLINING. THIS IS ABSOLUTE

SIXTH, HAVE A CRAPLOAD OF REFERENCES

SEVENTH, SAME AS SIX

EIGHT, IF THERE'S A BETTER ONE DONE ALREADY, YOU CAN ALWAYS IMPROVE ON IT INSTEAD OF WASTING TIME MAKING ANOTHER ONE!!!

NINTH, IF YOU ARE UNSURE ON HOW TO SHADE, GET YOUR REFS UP AND TRY AND COPY THE STYLE! KEEP EXPERIMENTING AND YOU'LL GET IT RIGHT EVENTUALLY!

TENTH, POST YOUR PREVIEWS IN x1 AND x3 SIZES, ANY BIGGER = SHIT AND WILL BOTHER.

ELEVENTH, JPG = SHIT

(This should be made a thread and stickied, as well as open to improvements too. Who agrees?)

Smash

Forgot some replies:

Quote from: "Zodiac"Gifted? that's very insulting. Smash has the skills he has because of all the time and effort he invested in it.
True.

Quote from: "Kaijyuu"Ah, a complaint:

I always, always hated how FF5 only showed 1 leg when the character is standing in the battle screen (FF4 too, I just noticed). It is NOT a direct profile and looks horrible, I think.

Give them both their legs back.
Well, that's the reason why I gave them that pose, to look like FFVI and FFV.. Can't see why one would dislike the awesome detail.  :(

jimmyjw88

Hahaha. I can say some of those but not all as I myself is not good ^^
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Lijj

The Rules!  I got exited not realizing the undertaking involved with spriting. You guys are strict and I think that's respectable. Ego; perhaps, thinking I could execute a sprite nonchalantly. I'm  new to spriting though and thanks to members like Kagebunji & Kyosoukee I'm able to be molded much faster I hope. Good rules. Thanks for the tips! Rule 3 esp. I think some colors got replaced in the actual game when I was testing the green haired version at least one of the greens turned to a reddish brown. I'll have to tinker around. I did use a lot of references though The female and male monks mostly.

Lijj

ALMOST  DONE
TO DO:
Must fix colors(almost just right but changes in play), fix animation of hair(close but still looks like a fish would flop; moves to fast)Fix 1 pose, Standing side view looks weird. Final touch ups of fighting arms still needed too.

Lijj

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=405&p=108048#p108048
I edited it including the face and eyes of the sprite to fit the Tactics style more

Kagebunji

Wtf, when I try to zoom it in, all is screwed up totally. Post bigger version of some poses.

Lijj

:

mav

Quote from: "Smash"(This should be made a thread and stickied, as well as open to improvements too. Who agrees?)
I'll tell you who agrees: this son of a bitch here. Those rules are so straightforward and necessary.

Anyhow, this sprite needs a bit of work. Let's start with the portrait: the neck is too long, there's too much random pixelization on the hair and face, she has no mouth, and there's no real way to perceive depth on it. For the actual sprite, the hair seems unrealistic and the spriting style seems amiss. What was your base sprite on this? And finally, Smash's rules are spot on--refer back to them and then post another update.

Lijj

i used female monk for the body and the male monk's arms.
Say, anyone gotta very particular problem with this? Point it out; it would be helpful. I'd like to finish it tonight so I can move on. I'll redo the portrait again but what of the sprite?
I think the hair looks good I've tested it thoroughly it seems to work fine.

What about the back 3/4 view? do you think her face looks to wide?
I'd like some answers by the time I get back from this social event later tonight dammit! :twisted:

Smash

Too many of them.. Can you not notice?

I need a day.. I've got extensive uni proyects to turn in tommorow, and I still haven't finished most of the maquettes

Perhaps then I could touch up that portrait a bit.

For anyone wondering, my sprite times have changed to colored pencils, and they have me hooked. They're like 20 times faster than pixel art, and plus the fact that I really needed a more 'authentic' medium to work my art. (Commoners really don't apreciate digital art as much as any traditional method.)  Will probably try to use oil paints to see how they work later, but meanwhile, im getting my old scanner back to get some pics up.

MiKeMiTchi

Lijj, why don't you start a new thread for your sprites? :(
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

Lijj

I know! I will once I finish... But perhaps this will work as Smash started this thread. I'd be glad to see the portrait done by someone else. This is your thread.