• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:32:07 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

The Chronicles of Kanbabrif

Started by Bastard Poetry, May 17, 2008, 07:20:29 am

Bastard Poetry

May 17, 2008, 07:20:29 am Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 05:10:10 am by Bastard Poetry
The way I see it, the Chronicles wouldn't even be possible without the tools and guidance of the FFH community.

So I'm going to start a topic about it!

Check it out:

www.museofoblivion.com/kwrathindex.html

ALL GLORY TO KANBABRIF!!
Final Fantasy Tactics - Thief SSCC:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL73FB72C01D917FD6&feature=viewall

(Fully recorded LP; successes, failures, and most things inbetween)

LastingDawn

May 17, 2008, 11:58:11 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Speaking of Kanbabrif... work on my custom patch is going pretty steady, it's quite a story, without giving away many details, Zalbag feels Alma is unsafe in Lesalia and marries her off to... Kanbabrif. Thus making Kanbabrif and Ramza brother in laws. (Despite how I make it sound it's actually a pretty small part of the story) Of course I would need your permission to use Kanbabrif, in this manner. Also, when the time comes, may I ask you to give text for Kanbabrif's lines?

EDIT: Wow, a site! Hehe, That intro looked pretty amazing. Did you make those graphics yourself? I know a few somewhat looked like FF7 burning town and FFT's opening cutscene, of course I could be wrong.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Cheetah

May 17, 2008, 02:28:35 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Bastard you certainly have a touch and some flare that comes off very nicely. By that I mean "Very well done". I'm very impressed by how you were able to cut all those different into pieces together to look like a cohesive scene. Oh and I dig credit spots hehe.
Current Projects:

Bastard Poetry

May 17, 2008, 04:33:41 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
Re: LastingDawn

A Kanbabrif.. PATCH!? Hell yeah, I'd give you permission! (Not that I really think anyone'd need my permission for anything, but I do appreciate the sentiment). As far as helping to write the dialogue, I'd be more than happy to help out with that. Just give me some time to finish some of these videos. Then, when I get a chance, we can collaborate. Just let me know what you need!

Also, your question about the clips reminded me of those two sacred little words: copyright infringement. So I quickly threw together a list of sources to add to the description fields of both the youtube and the Vimeo displays.

"I did not make the FMVs. I intended to put the sources in the ending credits. For copyright reasons, though, I'll list them here. There are clips from the following:

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Intelligent Systems)
The Mind's Eye (Thomas Dolby)
Age of Conan: Frost Swamp (Funcom)
Prince Charming (frogs created by Jason Carswell; Guru Animation Studios)
Return to Castle Wolfenstein (Activision)
Final Fantasy II Anniversary Ed. PSP (Square Enix)"

Ass: saved.

Most of the Chronicles will be in-game footage, and I only plan to occasionally use fmv clips like that.

Re: Cheetah
Thanks! I have a soft spot for the overly dramatic. But don't let the tone of that video fool you.. most of the Chronicles will be funny; the serious, epic drama will be interspersed sporadically, for the balance.

****SPOILERS****

On that note, I was planning to have philsov be the main character. The one who has to stand up against Kanbabrif throughout the series. He gets "transported" to Ivalice a la FFTA sorcery. I was going to use your blue option of the red mage sprite, because that hat is so utterly pimpin'. But my only concern is that it looks too.. Ivalicean, if that makes sense. Since philsov is from our world, perhaps he needs to look like he doesn't belong?

Does anyone have any thoughts on how philsov should look?

*****END SPOILERS*****

Cheetah

May 17, 2008, 05:16:29 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
I do like the Red Mage's blue palette as well. Well I would definitely suggest a battle sprite with lots of animations, seeing as how he is the main character. You can always just explain it away with one of those famous Hollywood dialog inserts Philsov: "Oh my gosh, where am I? Everything looks so strange and foreign. WTF am I wearing!? I look like the ridiculously overpowered illegitimate child of a Blue Mage and a Red Mage." Or something far more witty then that.
Current Projects:

Bastard Poetry

May 22, 2008, 09:01:40 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
Ha ha ha! I like that, but I ended up using Vanya's FF Warrior (blue) for Philsov, and your Red Mage sprite for FuhFuhFresh (blue) and Piercewise (red).

Also, I've reached a significant hurdle in my attempts to put Ramza's buttpants onto a generic male monk. (Long story.. but Fanatic inspired me when he requested his character). The hurdle is this: I can do it, but it's going to take awhile. And the time I spend working on that is time spent NOT working on these videos, which people have been waiting a long time for already.

So would anyone here be up to the challenge? If not, I'll take it up after I finish Part I and plan on a significant wait time before Part II.

Also, Kuraudo Sutoraifu: Where art thou, gangster!?

Because I'm doing these new videos in HD, our original plan of working together in the production department isn't going to work. File sizes are way too big and fragmented to worry about sharing/corresponding. However, it'd still be good to hear from you, man!

Bastard Poetry

May 23, 2008, 06:48:35 am #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
Oh, and check out the homepage again. There's a new picture of the entire cast (excluding guest appearance characters) for Parts I-III, using some of the unique sprites you guys created here.

www.museofoblivion.com/kwrathindex.html

Again, if anyone else would like to have their sprites featured in the Chronicles, I'd be more than happy to accept your offer to let me use them!

LastingDawn

May 23, 2008, 03:48:31 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Wow, very nice arrangement, I am rather ashamed to say it took me quite some time to actually understand the arrangement, until I realized it should be read diagnolly not up and down or plain left and right.

Art of War

Bastard Poetry

June 12, 2008, 03:54:32 am #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
Part I is finished! Check it out:

www.museofoblivion.com/kwrath1.html

Asmo X

June 12, 2008, 04:26:57 am #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
hahah. "Over there is Junk and 2 other guys".

Cheetah

June 12, 2008, 06:41:10 am #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Haha that was freaking awesome. Really freaking long, but really freaking awesome. Great use of music and the FMV were tastefully done as before. You do a great job of giving credit, and that is really cool.

You probably aren't going to make changes to this one but I have a few suggestions for the next chapter.

1) Maybe having a little more motion during dialog sequences. Either by changing the camera angle every once in a while or even having them do their walking in place animations for periods of time. This is probably difficult because of all the excess text boxes that appear, but there might be ways around that. If you are having static pictures for most of it anyways, then you should be able to add in more "animations" by just pasting individual actions into part of the overall picture (I hope that makes sense). It seemed like you did some of this, but more movement would be cool even if it is just waving an arm every once in a while for dialog sequences. The other idea I had is that maybe you could make all the dialog windows and stuff transparent by editing the graphics and text for them. This would be a little tricky to do, and very hard to tell what you were doing, but probably at least somewhat possible.

2) For the Misty sprite it looked like her animations were a little wonky. I can't really tell for sure, but this might be caused by having her placed over the wrong incorrect "type" of sprite (as in Type1 and Type2). Like if you put a squire on the dancer sprite, it would look all wonky.

3) If you wanted your characters to be more individual, it would be cool to have them with some custom portraits. Even minor tweaks to the Monk portraits would have been cool for Junk and Fantastic. I have been playing around with portraits a lot lately so this is something I would be happy to do. In addition you could even think about having different emotions for the Portraits to match their speech. Maybe not as professional looking, but more amusing. Grandy is kind of new here and has done some funny stuff with that.

4) Oh and if you didn't know Zodiac is working on some tools to edit Events, which could give you a whole new way to do these.

Sorry that my feedback is longer than my praise, I'm just trying to spark some new ideas. Part one was freaking awesome though and I'm looking forward to your next release and hearing from you on ways I could contribute.
Current Projects:

Bastard Poetry

June 12, 2008, 07:39:45 am #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
Your constructive criticism is VERY welcome with me.

1) I definitely agree with you on this aspect, and I did experiment with ways of pulling some of these ideas while it was in production. Unfortunately, the amount of work required to add movement and such multiplied the already-epic amounts of work required just to make the video the way it ended up. That last sentence came out odd, but I think you know what I mean. The other problem I found is that having the Height number displayed, as well as the "AT" over the head of whoever's turn it is at any given moment, and any number of other little things that could pop up like that would have made it look messy. So I went with the stiff and lifeless arrangement because it at least looked clean. Ha ha ha!
 However, I am going to continue trying to find ways to add life to the scenes, because I wholeheartedly agree that they need it. The walking in place thing is out, but I could play around with facial expressions and more body movements.

2) I was supposed to use the Misty sprite in the F Squire space, but I chose to use the F Mime space instead. This decision was made, primarily, because I plan on doing a Puppeteer Challenge soon, and I wanted the Misty sprite for my female mime. However, now that you mention it, I do see the glitchiness in the video. For the next installment, I'll revert back to Squire! She plays a more active role in the next part.

3) Facial expressions would be great! Although, I should point out 2 things: 1) Fanatic specifically asked that his character be a normal-looking monk.. (except he did want Ramza's buttpants, if possible). 2) I didn't originally intend for Junk to be such a significant player in the story. He was only supposed to have a few lines at Grog Hill and then fade into obscurity in later scenes. But I was sleep deprived the night I wrote the Grog Hill scene, and I was having fun with his lines.. then it grew from there, to the point where he quickly became my favorite character. (I was actually emotionally conflicted about killing him off! It was rough!) Anyways, that's why he's kinda boring as well.

4) I'm taking a short break before getting back to work on Part II. In the meantime, I'll start catching up on all of the developments I've missed around here. I want to really start implementing things like spells and such too.

Because of the sheer amounts of work required to make these videos, I would GREATLY appreciate any help you could provide with portraits and such, or anything else you think might help.  Same goes for anyone else reading this.

I'm really glad you guys enjoyed it so much! This video was an utter blast to make, and I have a feeling that Part II will be even better.

Cheetah

June 12, 2008, 09:30:40 am #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Well I will look into a few of my ideas further to see how they develop. Is there a location on your site where you are discussing character design and portrait adjustments so that I could be part of these discussions?
Current Projects:

Asmo X

June 12, 2008, 10:07:38 am #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
Also, you should have maybe established some of the characters a little more. It's like you jumped straight into act 2. Look into the 3-act structure and I think you'll get a lot more value out of your characters. More Hamwich!

Anyway, I don't know whether that stuff is a bit too "serious business" for this project but I thought i'd put it out there.

Xifanie

June 12, 2008, 11:20:36 am #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
:( I really want to watch it but I suppose my only wait to completely download it would be during night... I haven't found a single site that allows me to save the video on my computer, what a pain.

Calculated around 5h of download. My connection automatically breaks after exactly 6:00:43; fucking ISP.

And of course no fucking video site out there supports resume download.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

LastingDawn

June 12, 2008, 11:21:39 am #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Incredible!! Thirty minutes long FFT Fan works cannot possibly go wrong! Regardless of whether there is a bit of a "serious tone" I think it really fits the plot. Also the cameo's everyone makes is absolutely adorable. The music is fitting on each part, and the FMV's are all highly fitting, wow, Part I changed a ton from the beta preview you showed! I for one cannot wait to see some character development on Bishop Kanbabrif! Also why the various fellows serve him, a very interesting twist, keep up the beyond excellent work! I am certainly highly looking forward to Part II!

Art of War

Bastard Poetry

June 12, 2008, 10:50:30 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
Asmo, I made strong efforts not to use too many inside jokes in this, because I wanted it to appeal to a larger audience. But I think that's one of the bigger inside jokes.

Witchhammer (Hamwitch) was the troll who got this whole thing started. Most of the Kanbabrif fans know the whole story behind it, so I didn't need to introduce him. However, you're right. If you didn't know the background on that, it would seem like a pretty fast leap into it.

Here, this is copy-pasta from the description of my first youtube video of the series:

"In an effort to put a Gamefaqs troll in his place, I made this poorly-shooped slideshow to explain to him exactly why Kanbabrif was a better character than Reis, in the hopes that he would shut up about her. "She's teh only character who can do 4000 damage, she's strong and powerful magicks" and blah blah blah. In a word or three, I showed him.

Turned out, the others of the FFT board loved it, and they wanted more K-wrath and Starry Frog."

I do appreciate the perspective. Part II is going to be introducing a LOT of new characters, so I'll keep that in mind.

Zodiac, that sucks. If you know of any other way I could help get the video to you, let me know.

Bastard Poetry

June 12, 2008, 10:51:26 pm #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
Oh, and thank you, Lasting Dawn.

I appreciate the good feedback too!

Austin

June 13, 2008, 12:46:11 am #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Austin
That was awesome, I loved it. Too bad Junk had to get bludgeo'd though. :P

Xifanie

June 13, 2008, 06:52:23 am #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Saw the rest of the thing this morning, fricken awesome.

I'm not exactly sure how you're gonna use that memory card...

but, why Junk, Whhyyyyyy!?

:P

Graphics 8/10
I'm giving a perfect score to the new spells.
=D At the jumping frog at Reis.
What makes the score that lower though is how each unit walks one after each other basically how always a single thing happens at a time.
Whoever don't blame yourself, the tools for that aren't out yet, and Hex editing all that would we tons of trouble.
And the FMV choice was excellent as well. Especially the introduction; wow.

Overall I'm fucking impressed, I was seriously expecting way less comparing to your previous videos, you really worked your ass out this time.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful