• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:11:07 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Arena battle videos and discussion

Started by PX_Timefordeath, August 04, 2010, 06:49:51 pm

Shintroy

December 27, 2014, 11:45:20 pm #3740 Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 03:05:18 pm by Shintroy
Ninja vs Wizards
This was a tough call to make. My team has ranged and melee attacks, but revival is mainly wish and phoenix down. Against Mages with range winning is up to chance because AoE spells could destroy my chances of recovery. Both teams are squishy though and I have the range to compete with The Damned, so I bet on the green to take it.

Round 1 - On this map, it could've went either way. The wizards had an advantage since my team went first. They got a huge opening attack on Raph and from there kept a unit advantage from then on. Raph doing what he does best with that critical and fall damage combo. Raise 2 and HP restore not activating won the round for The Damned.

Round 2 - Huge map. Had a bad feeling about this until Raph got close due to the Holy Wizard getting stuck on revival duty. The damage overwhelmed the healing this round because of The Damned not being able to finish Raph. Good AOE, but berserk units don't stop coming.

Round 3 - Really Close match. I probably only took this due to reactions going off. HP Restore and warpath work great on a berserk unit. Especially since my team has weak healing.

GG. Pretty fun to watch. Can't beat turtle power The Damned.

Thanks for the matches Truelight. Really enjoyed this coin toss.
-
Themed Team vs Chip Damage
Tough call. 3 dancers and a mime looks pretty strong because of all the healing the Reinoe has. Not entirely sure what kind of team Malroth's classifies as. Looks heavy on the status and crippling side. Bet on mime though because geomancy mimes are incredible for ranged/caster teams.

Round 1 - Large map so Reinoe has the advantage automatically. Malroth doesn't have the movement to catch him before taking tons of damage. Strong opener from Reinoe dealing status and 100+ damage from dances alone. Damn. The match was over once the mime got to the roof and landed thst sleep proc from... gusty wind.
Compltely forgot sleeping units aren't affected by dancing. Destruction. Good Bizen Boat from the mediator even though Move-MP saved the day. Had me worried because the AI kept dancing even without MP.

Round 2 - Smaller map so Reinoe's mostly forced to use plan b giving Malroth an advantage here.  Close round. Slow round actually. Death sentence team?  Not much to say about this round except it was really close despite Reinoe being at half power.
Didn't know mimes can mimic while berserk...... This is good news for people chiri and melee damage. Tons of Potential in a salty rage mime. Chakra Band, Max, Salty Rage... I don't need to be thinking about making another team lol.

Round 3 - The music seems to set the tone of the round in this vid. Map kooks hopeless for Malroth. Deep Dungeon maps should count as XL lol. By the time Malroth got to Reinoe it was over. Not to mention the geomancy on this map being petrify. That came into play when the mime petrified the geomancer half way into the match. After that it was round one all over again.

GG. Reinoe's team heavily counters teams without AoE damage, or OHKO potential. Pretty strong since it'll put phoenix down, revive, and wish revival teams into an unrecoverable sandbag state not even including poison.

Learned a lot about dance from this vid. Makes you rethink how to balance it really. Looks fine outside of slow dance honestly. Dance + Mimic Daravon Mime seems strong. Berserk mime seems even stronger. Maybe broken? Almost counts as two units if built correctly.

Good match up on this one Truelight. Malroth was at a disadvantage due to chakra band dancers, Move-MP, and too many potentially unfavorable maps against this team.

-
MA Stacking vs 100% Damage
The wrong armor on my mime? Must have been thinking of Vanilla FFT or something. I bet on Truelight because of his mobility and status potential. I don't have a counter to status outside of one unit.

Round 1 - I need a different secondary on the Draw Out Mime. She's too likely to not mimic the zodiacs and get herself killed due to needing in position. Didn't plan on all this Moogle healing actually. That is some ridiculous sandbagging, but its not enough to counter Slow, Don't Act, and fast damage. Running out of MP for some reason. I thought absorb MP would activate from mimic songs and Moogle. Wrecked this round. Out done by auto potion.

Round 2 - No chance of winning on this map probably. Team is split up, and cant position correctly. Bloody Strings for some reason. Chiri making the mime hang herself. Picked off one by one. Not much to say about this round.

GG. Got to see what Truelight could do in this match. Really well built team, especially those tanky Ninjas..... Back to the drawing board for my team. Need to work in a counter to mobile teams somehow. If I can't I'll have to depend on DD maps so I can get some songs off. I'm so bad at caster teams.

Tanky Status vs Themed Team
No clue who to bet on, but I'll go with DK Cecil.Blood Sword is my favorite sword since vanilla FFT after all.

Round 1 - This map. Bad on the eyes. Cecil gets pinned  behind his own units wasting a turn while being Death Sentenced. Followed by more death sentence.. The RNG isn't a fan of FFIV it seems. Almost makes a comeback, but misses a raise 2 AND revive. Never change Kain.

Round 2 - Early lead for the Damned here. Tons of MP drained from Malroth wow. No idea why The Damned's team abandoned Rydia. Not much else to say. Death Sentence makes it a quick round.

GG. Themed teams are hard. I think for Dark Knight Cecil you could abandon the shield (since his ascension to paladin was about  becoming a shield and laying down his sword sometimes) and use blood sword maybe. Could also go with he Koutetsu Grand Cross dark knight for self heal. Idk. This loss hurt my will to even continue with my FFII team. Rip Left handed units.

Balanced Team vs Thieves
Andante has an extremely strong team on paper. Really liking that Squire and crippling Ninja.Looks like hell for weak revival teams. I bet on Andante for this one. despite the speed disadvantage and charm potential.

Round 1 - After the Ninja gets out of charm the match takes off for Andante. The female thief wasted 4-5 turns on the hit and quit ninja.  Not enough recovery on silentkaster's team to keep up with Andante's offense. (I don't understand the tutorial maps. The heights don't make sense.)

Round 2 - Speed ruin can miss? Okay. That's fair. The map opens similarly to the last round. Charmed Ninja and a dead priest who couldn't get brought back by raise 2 or wish. There's no coming back from this for Andante. The steal accessorys helped him last time.

Round 3 - 743 Scorpion Tail crit lmao. Silentkaster was down for the majority of the round and brought it back due to that female thief. Clutch Mimic Daravon followed by an insult onto the priest. Wow.

Great Match. SilentKaster proving that there is a Luck stat. Not much to add. I'm stumped on Andante losing this one. Lady Luck title earned for that female thief.

Ninja vs Physical Damage team.
I bet on the Ninjas. This team made me want to make a ninja team instead of a squire team.

White Magic Ninja, imo, need C Bags and Kagesougi for a melee option. Never seen a C Bag being used, but I think they're there for Jobs without a 2MA option and units you dont want to have a MA based weapon so AI don't choose to melee over cast.

Round 1 - Reks got an early lead, but couldn't maintain it due to his white magic ninja choosing to heal over raising. Not sure if he has short charge..  Reinoe's white magic ninja however did its job with raise and even regen to heal due to low MA. MVP either goes to The double Repel Ninja, or healing ninja.

Round 2 - Ultimately came down to Reks being able to deal enouh damage to make up for having weak phoenix down revival. I really like the use of scorpion tail to waste turns, and the female ninja having regen and wall to heal/tank. Not much to comment on since Reks spent the entire turn in sandbag mode, at least for his conscious units.

GG for Reinoe here. Reks needs better support and damaging set ups to make use of berserk imo. Berserk units that can't OHKO or at least critical state other 70 brave units are useless. Phoenix down isn't enough for berserk units either since they're likely to die to poison. Maybe if the Murasame ninja raised instead of healing it would've been a better match. Idk though. maybe it was actually a bad match up somehow? Either way I hope those berserked units get buffed up to potentially OHKO. Without battle song. Strange to even need battle song on a berserk team.

Anti Elemental vs Unorthodoxed Team
Both teams are pretty interestingly built, and Otabo has a slight advantage because of RedWorld's samurai not being able to damage three of his units,but I bet on Red since I lost 2-0 to this team before.

Round 1 - Pretty interesting map. The match starts out with a quick 2.5 vs 4, .5 being the near useless samurai on RedWorld's team. Otabo has a strong lead for most of the match until the Monk start getting double kills. This completely changes the pace of the match in Redworld's favor.

Round 2 - Love this map btw. The match is near even for more than half of the round with a slight advantage to RedWorld minus the samurai still. Otabo probably lost this due to his squire missing so many bullrush attacks. If half of them connected I'm sure tere wouldve been a round 3.

GG. Still not sure about Otabo's team. Maybe vs an absorb team? Dual absorb? I'd need an explanation on each units role if its more than elemental absorb. GG still though.

Going to redo my MA mime team from scratch and go for a Nerf MA team instead since I'm no good with caster teams. Maybe bin FFII too. Good stuff Barren. I need to look back on what 2014 meant for me to fully answer your question(s). You sound like you got over your cold/allergies(?) btw. Good stuff. Thanks for the matches.
Some day my people will be free.

Reks

Quote from: Shintroy on December 27, 2014, 11:45:20 pm
Ninja vs Physical Damage team.
I bet on the Ninjas. This team made me want to make a ninja team instead of a squire team.

White Magic Ninja, imo, need C Bags and Kagesougi for a melee option. Never seen a C Bag being used, but I think they're there for Jobs without a 2MA option and units you dont want to have a MA based weapon so AI don't choose to melee over cast.

Round 1 - Reks got an early lead, but couldn't maintain it due to his white magic ninja choosing to heal over raising. Not sure if he has short charge..  Reinoe's white magic ninja however did its job with raise and even regen to heal due to low MA. MVP either goes to The double Repel Ninja, or healing ninja.

Round 2 - Ultimately came down to Reks being able to deal enouh damage to make up for having weak phoenix down revival. I really like the use of scorpion tail to waste turns, and the female ninja having regen and wall to heal/tank. Not much to comment on since Reks spent the entire turn in sandbag mode, at least for his conscious units.

GG for Reinoe here. Reks needs better support and damaging set ups to make use of berserk imo. Berserk units that can't OHKO or at least critical state other 70 brave units are useless. Phoenix down isn't enough for berserk units either since they're likely to die to poison. Maybe if the Murasame ninja raised instead of healing it would've been a better match. Idk though. maybe it was actually a bad match up somehow? Either way I hope those berserked units get buffed up to potentially OHKO. Without battle song. Strange to even need battle song on a berserk team.

The team is more or less a non-serious one.

I don't do serious all that often. All of the things I put up for some of these are meant as a test of sorts.

This team in particular proved that Stone Gun 'zerkers are more handy to have because they never miss, and that Chemist is one beefy guy, which is what I like.

I'll probably give him Draw Out or Steal, by stealing him away for another team.

In any case, GG Reinoe.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

Otabo

Well, this match was certainly more of a pleasure to watch. I actually got to see what my team can do. I like matches like this; lots of back and forth, but RedWorld managed to pull out the V. Yeah my team lost, but it made RedWorld work for that victory at least. The problem really is that the team doesn't have enough offence; Main Gauche just isn't strong enough to warrant being used with Salty Rage, methinks. Might need to do something with the squire, too and maybe the priest. GG.  :)

Shintroy

January 01, 2015, 01:29:49 am #3746 Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 05:17:34 am by Shintroy
Happy N.Year Gladiators. Another year and still standing... After all the deaths in battle too... That just ain't natural.

I've only been here for a year, but I was around for seasons 1 and 2 of 1.3. AI battles has come a long way and here's to hoping it doesn't stop anytime soon. Thanks to the people balancing the game, running tournaments, and recording matches. Without you all, Arena wouldn't be around.

Secondary Samurai vs Samurai
Bet on the  samurai taking this easily. I don't see many successful secondary samurai.

Round 1&2 - Charge time and faith based magic vs instant faithless damage? It could've probably gone to The Damned if his team had the mobility to kite Reinoe. Each round went down the same way. Reinoe gets close. Samurai acts like Samurai. Fairy. Samurai wins. Pretty funny match with fitting music.

GG. I probably got the team's mixed up. I liked the Fairy Cherry Blossoms. Too good to not be intentional.

Haste/Slow 2 vs Quickening H/S2
Speed and Haste should take this in most cases. Too many ways to stop raise and the knights have double regen with moonlight.

Round 1 - A lot of Haste 2 Slow 2 being thrown around this round. My main advantage over Andante this round was charm and speed easily. Female thief starts off with 12 speed, which out turns his hasted units without having haste. Stall and Kiyomori didn't waste enough turns to be effective. Time Mages only had raise because they had 800+JP spent in time magic so my undead wasn't going anywhere. Insult worked out somewhat in my favor this time too. I like what Andante was going for though. Blinded, Slow, Poisoned, and Slow units who make the knight tanks stronger. Preddy good.

Round 2 - Same deal here except charm interrupted all raises this match. Lots of quickening to the mime too. Would've been a better match if I didn't have teleport. The male thief would've got tanked by the paladins and probably forced some sandbagging since he doesn't have cursed ring.

GG. Bad match up for Andante. I realized in this match my team's biggest weakness is petrify. Only the undead units can remove it. I need to fix that, and make the thieves more likely to use quickening. Going to be tough since I want an undead mime and regen. Will most likely only give the female thief item and keep the weakness to petrify. Can't give it to the male thief since the mime would take damage from him healing himself forcing the mime to retreat most of the time. ramble ramble mime was over the JP cap by 50, but I'll count it since not all items came into play ramble
-edit
Forgot to mention. Barren always points out having Kiyo on a a unit that's meant to melee doesn't turn out great. Also I think one of those Time Mages could use a cursed ring. You get more out of balance and at the same time boost your teams comeback potential.

Rainbow Staff, B Hood, Lords, Curses, MP Restore, Short, Esuna, R1/2, H2/S2, Balance is a standard build although not used a lot in 139. 10Speed, 200+ MP, 300+HP

Could. The paladins can't heal status, so I'd say 1 is the safest bet.

Should've turned off my ringers. Was fast asleep until the texts and calls started. Rip sleep schedule. Thanks for the vids as always Truelight. Liked the music in these matches. My matches bgm sounded really familiar. Never really played Mega Man 1-7, but it sounded like a remix from the series was thrown in somewhere.
-
Berserk vs Themed Team.
Bet on The Damned to take it since blood sword is only 10 WP.

Round 1 - First hit from that dancer and I lose all faith on FFIV taking it. Sleep, stop, charm, and dont act. All to ensure that dancer landing those OHKOs.

Round 2 - Otabo got put into sandbag mode without any way to gain momentum. Upset.

Round 3 - Same as Round 1.

GG (good god), GG (good game). That dancer, omg that dancer. More of her.
-
FFIV doesn't have a game over theme..

4 Thieves vs Earth / Dark absorb
Single class teams are currently streaking, and silentkaster's team already beat a non single class team, so I bet on SK to take it.

Charm and steal accessory came a long way this match. It was also nice to see speed and magic ruin being used as well.

GG. Dark absorb is pretty tough to run since there's cursed ring and black costume being the most used absorb cloth.

Trog incarnate vs Fire Absorb(?)
Bet on Barren since Reks' archer sometimes makes matches 1v3v4.

Round 2 - MVP Squire. Borderline solos Barren's entire team. Best unit with ninja to support.

Round 3 - Another map that counters the archer. I don't like where the units start on this map. Team B starts already boxed in.

GG except for the last round. To be fair its a sky high risk, high reward unit, on a 3 man team. All units are at he mercy of a berserked ranged unit. Makes me think berserk Lancer wouldn't work.

silentkaster

Being able to one shot any unit on The Damned's team was huge. Of course, piling on statuses didn't hurt Otabo either. I SOOOO want to see this team vs a team with cursed ring. I think dancer one shotting herself would be hilarious!!!
You've stepped in puddles less shallow than me.

Otabo

Quote from: silentkaster on January 01, 2015, 02:28:56 pm
Being able to one shot any unit on The Damned's team was huge. Of course, piling on statuses didn't hurt Otabo either. I SOOOO want to see this team vs a team with cursed ring. I think dancer one shotting herself would be hilarious!!!

LOL, yeah. Then again, running that dancer with that setup is taking a huge gamble; cause, you know, if the monk can't steal that Cursed Ring fast enough, then GG. Actually, a Cursed Ring unit with Maintenance would be even worse for my dancer; my other units aren't exactly built to deal damage, either, so...yep.

silentkaster

January 01, 2015, 10:09:58 pm #3751 Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 11:01:58 pm by silentkaster
Charming the ninja probably saved my butt both rounds. He hit like a truck. Ouch. Other than that, mimed fairy hurting the scholar was pretty lulz. GG Malroth.

Thanks for video TrueLight!
You've stepped in puddles less shallow than me.

Malroth

Yeah i probably need to swap the mime and the Ninja around in the turn order so she'll have a chance to refute or punch him before getting murdered

Reks

Thanks for the match, TrueLight!

I have a new team up and I updated Grimdarks based on what I saw that they needed. Should be better set now.
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

Barren

Just posted a new team last night, if anyone gets where I got the names from then yay! but regardless if truelight does my match with my all samurai team then he should use the theme from a particular anime i'm referencing
You dare cross blades with me?

Shintroy

Thieves vs Balanced Team.
Solo class teams are on a roll and this one is undefeated so I bet on silentkaster to take it.

Round 1 - So many highlight reel moments. Ruins being useful. Two mortal thieves vs 4 slower units. Charmed squire getting healed for poison by his own teammates. 3% poke from the blinded Lancer.

Round 2 - It was in silentkasters favor from the very beginning. Not much else to mention.

GG. Luck continues to be a stat. Probably a bad match up since the monk had barely anything going for him. I really enjoy seeing silentkaster's team in action. There's just so many options they get to cover with all that speed. I learn something new about the team every time it fights too. The distraction having high evasion nd Kiyomori is so good. She can rush into the front lines and waste so many of the enemy's turns. Either by them removing blind, or whiffing attacks while blinded on a high evasion unit.

So good. Good stuff CT5Holy. Great commentary as always.
Cursed ring users have a 50% chance of reviving when their turns come around.I'm not sure if this resets their turn though.

Barren

Thanks TrueLight for the video. I thought since Damned and reinoe made an all samurai team I figured I might as well do it too, basing the characters off the anime Samurai 7. As for the match itself, I kind of expected to be in a little bit more trouble than I thought originally because it is a gimmick team I came up with but yea anything that is over 150 damage regardless of compat is pretty big. Especially since two hands is dishing out the punishment. GG Anima, didn't expect it to be over so quickly.
You dare cross blades with me?

Anima Zero

One word: Ouch.  That was a beatdown, that's for sure, heh.  Was hoping for my Ninja to perform better than it did, but I suppose that's what I get for how quickly I assembled this team, heh.  Might wait for this team to get featured in another match before I think about what changes I want to make to it.  GG regardless sir!

"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero..." Zero, Mega Man Zero 4