• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:31:02 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

ASM Hacking Myths

Started by Xifanie, November 22, 2016, 02:32:58 pm

Xifanie

ASM hacking is hard
[indent=2]It usually is. It is exceptionally rare that it will be easy, but with our existing documentation, it can make things a lot easier (especially for ability formulas).

For some people, ASM Hacking is more than hard... it's trying to reach the moon.[/indent]

ASM hacking is like programming
[indent=2]It depends on what you're trying to accomplish, but generally speaking, no. Many hacks only change one or two bytes. That is literally a quarter/half or one instruction. That's not coding; it's altering existing compiled code. Most of the time, you will be figuring out which register is used for what, how you can access different values, and which routines holds the preferable code to alter for your needs.

Most hacks, especially simple ones, tend to be 0.5-5% coding. Bigger ones, like my Ability Requirement Hack v2, Soldier Office Upgrade, Synth Shop and so on, are about 60% coding.[/indent]

I can understand how a video game works by asking others about it
[indent=2]To some extent, you can. In terms of ASM hacking, you need the logic to be able to figure this shit out yourself. If you can't, you will struggle immensely and waste everyone's valuable time trying to teach you something that cannot be taught.

Do you think I'm being harsh? The reality is that ASM hacking involves a lot of debugging. Let's put it this way:

• Understanding how video games work is like trying to get out of a rainforest having a GPS on hand. It's still going to suck, but you have some hope.

• Not understanding how video games work is like trying to get out of a rainforest with a map drawn by a child. You'll wish you were dead.

But I know I can figure this out!
[indent=2]You would need more than just your average level of motivation.
You would need unbreakable dedication.
You will pull all your hairs out in the process.

And even then, I can't guarantee you'll make it.[/indent]
[/indent]

If I don't make my hacks, who will?
[indent=2]Likely no one. I know this is a tough one, because ASM Hacking is excessively draining and not many people can do it.
However, just because you have little hope of accomplishing anything yourself in terms of ASM Hacking...
It does not give you the right you complain about your lack of ASM Hacks.
It does not give you the right to assume that someone is going to ASM for you when all you do are FFTPatcher and FFTTactext edits. (Seriously, ASM Hackers are very rare; even if you event, the chances are slim)
It does not give you the right to complain about WotL's lack of ASM hacks.

Be thankful for the hacks that already exist.
Be thankful for future hacks (or in the making).[/indent]

Final Thoughts
I personally favour making hacks that benefits a lot of people; not just a single project. That is why me and others do not take requests. No one wants to make a hack for some random guy who has no idea what he's doing with questionable motivation, while only he could have a use for that hack.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful