• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Who is the Cloaked Stranger

Started by DaHammerCrush, October 02, 2015, 10:36:36 am

3lric

I doubt it, mostly because I don't even know who those people are O_o
  • Modding version: PSX

Nyzer

The final boss of FFTA.

It'd be pretty tough to justify featuring Queen Remedi in here, though, considering how crucial she was to the pocket universe of pseudo-Ivalice. Her presence in this part of time of real Ivalice would functionally mean that FFTA's pseudo-Ivalice would immediately collapse.
Not to mention that the whole point of FFTA's storyline was to stop Mewt and all the rest from just using the Grimoire to escape reality instead of actually facing their problems and growing from it. We know from FFTA2 that Mewt didn't end up backsliding; he's a functional adult with a job by then. Anyone who played FFTA saw what living in pseudo-Ivalice did to Mewt in the first place - he went from an early teenager or preteen to someone with the emotional maturity of a five-year-old until Marche forced him out. I don't doubt that they still used the book after that point, and Mewt even heavily implies that at least he'd done so at the end of FFTA2, but it wouldn't have been for the purpose of escaping reality. They would have traveled to the real Ivalice of their time, as Luso did, instead of recreating a pocket universe based on it. And without that, Remedi wouldn't have reappeared.

Out of any character from FFTA, or, hell, any game ever really, that might have appeared in Jot5, Remedi is dead last. Even a living, non-alternate Aerith would make more sense than Remedi; it'd just require time travel and a memory wipe. Having Remedi appear would literally require tearing apart the world of FFTA.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Plan C

wow, thats pretty deep stuff lol

Tempest

Quote from: nyzer on June 10, 2016, 09:51:49 pm
The final boss of FFTA.

It'd be pretty tough to justify featuring Queen Remedi in here, though, considering how crucial she was to the pocket universe of pseudo-Ivalice. Her presence in this part of time of real Ivalice would functionally mean that FFTA's pseudo-Ivalice would immediately collapse.
Not to mention that the whole point of FFTA's storyline was to stop Mewt and all the rest from just using the Grimoire to escape reality instead of actually facing their problems and growing from it. We know from FFTA2 that Mewt didn't end up backsliding; he's a functional adult with a job by then. Anyone who played FFTA saw what living in pseudo-Ivalice did to Mewt in the first place - he went from an early teenager or preteen to someone with the emotional maturity of a five-year-old until Marche forced him out. I don't doubt that they still used the book after that point, and Mewt even heavily implies that at least he'd done so at the end of FFTA2, but it wouldn't have been for the purpose of escaping reality. They would have traveled to the real Ivalice of their time, as Luso did, instead of recreating a pocket universe based on it. And without that, Remedi wouldn't have reappeared.

Out of any character from FFTA, or, hell, any game ever really, that might have appeared in Jot5, Remedi is dead last. Even a living, non-alternate Aerith would make more sense than Remedi; it'd just require time travel and a memory wipe. Having Remedi appear would literally require tearing apart the world of FFTA.

dayummmm. :o

Well said though.

Nyzer

Quotewow, thats pretty deep stuff lol

Yeah, it's why Luso as the viewpoint character for FFTA2 was so disappointing. FFTA's storyline might not have been anywhere near the depth of FFT's, but FFTA was very definitely aimed at a younger audience, and even then it was surprisingly deep for that mark. There wasn't even a major conflict of any kind in pseudo-Ivalice until Marche deliberately caused one. Luso, on the other hand, had so little character development or direct impact on the plot that he might as well have been a generic. He was less important to the story than mute protagonists from NES era games.  :roll:  :(

(Yeah, he was the bearer of the Grimoire, but it was the presence of the Grimoire that drove the plot for those points, not Luso himself. Compare that to Frodo/Sam/Gollum of LotR; those guys were fucking critical to the plot.)

DaHammerCrush

Quote from: nyzer on June 10, 2016, 09:51:49 pm
The final boss of FFTA.

Since its obvi not her I won't get into a philosophical discussion about a fantasy video game except to say that If the author wanted this to "happen" they could. #magic

Nyzer

Not when we're sticking as close to canon as we are. GhostMomRemedi only existed for a very fixed time span, and even then only as an extension of Mewt's will driven by his massive unresolved issues about her death until Marche whipped him and his father into shape. At no point would she have ever left Pocket Ivalice of her own will. And her unwillingly leaving Pocket Ivalice would have shattered Mewt's mind, as well as the entire pocket universe.

Then there's the ending of FFTA: The fake life Mewt gave his father, Cid, set him up as a confident leader of the country's Judges, which meant that he actually had some goddamn backbone once he got his real memories back, and realized that his teenage son reverting to a super clingy, often-crying child who wouldn't leave his mom probably wasn't a good thing. He and Marche were able to help Mewt work through his loss issues and let go of Pocket Ivalice and GhostMom. I mean, Mewt was watching as Marche literally killed GhostMom, all while Cid helped by acting as Judge. There's no way Mewt would have ever summoned her again. Given how closely she's tied to him, specifically, no one else would have summoned her either. Except Cid, maybe, and given that he was an active participant in the fight that killed her I... strongly doubt it.

I mean, yeah, I suppose we could have used her if we'd really wanted to, but given the circumstances of her limited "life"...

QuoteOut of any character from FFTA, or, hell, any game ever really, that might have appeared in Jot5, Remedi is dead last.

Tempest

I paid extremely close attention to every detail leading to the 5 being "summoned" into Ivalice. I was expecting to find a hint or clue pointing in the direction of who was responsible. It seems you all did an excellent job of keeping it open ended and without foreshadowing any specific person. Every single thing down the effects used when each person was teleported was unrelated, the dark effect used to teleport cloud was the one that grabbed my attention the most - but i ruled out any relevance to that effect as i compared it to the other 3. The effects in my eyes simply apply differently to each characters lore and what makes sense.

In short i admit defeat, as any guess i have would be a blind one. You all did a great job creating such a solid mystery. Maybe when i play further in some of the words spoken by the Cloaked stranger will give me something to go off of. But i suspected of any part of chapter 1 the introduction of each character into a new world would be the place to keep an eye on for hints.

rabidwolfie

I think I want to make a guess.

The Cloaked Stranger is Balbanes, he has been resurrected(or is a ghost) and brought all 5 of them together to defeat some massive evil. During chapter 2 he will appear and join the party for 3-4 story battles but will only be useable in those story battles. He will then start teaching ramza the beginning steps of becoming a heavenly knight. Heavenly knight skills will not be learned with JP but by completing milestones etc. After said 3-4 story fights, he will be destroyed by the evil they warned him about.

Nyzer

QuoteDuring chapter 2 he will appear and join the party for 3-4 story battles but will only be useable in those story battles. He will then start teaching ramza the beginning steps of becoming a heavenly knight. Heavenly knight skills will not be learned with JP but by completing milestones etc. After said 3-4 story fights, he will be destroyed by the evil they warned him about.

That's an... oddly specific guess.

3lric

SGFTI

June 17, 2016, 05:34:50 am #71 Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 07:35:11 am by SGFTI
Read through the comments and my guess was wrong. (Aerith.)

So instead I'll say it's Magus from Chrono Trigger. Why? Because I like Magus from Chrono Trigger.

Edit: I also don't get the appeal of KH. I borrowed it from a friend way back when it came out, made it to the Tarzan planet before I said "Ok this is stupid, I'm done. I don't care if Sephiroth is in it, I'm done."

FYI I really, really dig Sephiroth, like a lot. I played more Ehrgeiz than is sensible. Ooh...is it someone from Ehrgeiz?

Guru

Magus was badass and would be a good fit. I'm still thinking CS has a connection to Ramza somehow...but even is CS was from a different game, obviously has the power to transcend universes so probably would have known Ramza regardless. Zalbag would have been a good fit too(Always liked Zalbag too.

Maybe the CS is responsible for the great evil that is upon Ivalice now. Or responsible for making creating some kind of distortion in the Ivalice universe that allowed the great evil. Thus the need to "repent", doesn't help narrow things down much though  :roll:

How about simon?? Plenty to repent for, maybe Ramza didn't check his pulse  :mrgreen:

Bonesy

the cloaked stranger is
Elric
  • Discord username: Bonesy#9386

3lric

June 17, 2016, 09:46:28 pm #74 Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 09:58:25 pm by Elric
I do not put myself into my own games.

Quote from: SGFTI on June 17, 2016, 05:34:50 am
FYI I really, really dig Sephiroth, like a lot. I played more Ehrgeiz than is sensible. Ooh...is it someone from Ehrgeiz?

<3 Ehrgeiz. I havent played that in years. But no, it's no one from there lol

Plan C

Probably completely wrong since I see no motive to do anything the stranger has done but wonder what happened to Balmafula since being seen at the "funeral".

Nyzer

Well, she was last seen accompanying Olan/Orran, who only has four years left before the Church burns him alive...

Reks

I still need to play Jot5, and just figured I'd have fun throwing out a guess

Balmafula?
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

Plan C

Quote from: nyzer on June 17, 2016, 11:12:58 pm
Well, she was last seen accompanying Olan/Orran, who only has four years left before the Church burns him alive...

Hmm maybe there might be motive to help Ramza out in some form, in order to assist Olan w/out Delita or his guard knowing about it. Who knows though lol, she is a witch afterall, I wouldn't put it past her to know about dimensional portal stones and devil triggers, but highly unlikely. She's still intriguing though.

Hyraldelita

Im pretty sure it must be someone more misterious then balmafula. Even if she is a witch, i doubt she would have the power to summon 4 heroes from different worlds, so in my opinion it might be Someone with great powers but that for some reason he can't act by himself and need some other people to do the job for him|her