• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:29:49 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Expanding Elidibs's Role and Completing the Zodiac

Started by Dormin Jake, November 10, 2008, 03:11:43 pm

Dormin Jake

November 10, 2008, 03:11:43 pm Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 03:15:19 pm by Dormin Jake
Alternate title:

Elidibs and His Fightin' Lucavi/Espers/Scions/Totema/Zodiac Beasts

This is personal patch stuff here, but I thought I'd share some of what I'm doing, maybe return some of the massive amounts of creative inspiration I've gotten from this board.

Basically, I've always liked Elidibs but found the encounter with him somewhat underwhelming.  You learn from Magic City Gariland that he is a legendary Wizard, you stumble upon him in a cave, steal his Zodiac spell, he blows up, end of that guy.  I decided I wanted to make his presence as a kind of ominous secret boss a bit more tangible throughout the game.

So:

Rarely, on certain battlefields, some random encounters will generate a high-level, immortal-flagged guest Wizard named Elidibs that bears the Serpentarius zodiac sign.  The guest will have mastered Black Magic and be awesome all around.  It'll make those occasional fights easier, but the wtf moment would be worth it.

Throughout the first nine levels of Deep Dungeon, more of these Elidibs Wizards would show up (this time fighting the party), betraying the fact that they are puppet/astral projection/whatever things rather than THE Elidibs himself.

The scripted Elidibs fight at END will have Serpentarius Elidibs supported by six more Wizards, rather than the usual crap-ton of Apandas.  Each of these six will represent puppet versions of the six Zodiac beasts that did not make it into Vanilla FFT (using FFXII to fill in blanks: Mateus, Famfrit, Chaos, Shemhazai, Zeromus, and Exodus), each with a custom skillset.

Once Elidibs is defeated, his spirit remains, and END becomes sort of an arcane sanctum for him to continue his spellwork.  One of the battles that becomes unlocked would pit the player against a random number of Elidibs Wizards (maybe 6-8?), each equipped with one of the Zodiac skillets and carrying the appropriate Zodiac sign.  Lots of big flashy spells getting fired off at once, basically.  It would also mean Zodiac would be learnable in more than just one battle, as one of the wizards would be sure to pack Dark Cloud.  But it'd also be interesting to see the sorts of interaction that the various Lucavi have with one another.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
We are Dormin. Thou art to bring us a tasty beverage.
  • Discord username: dorminjake

Dormin Jake

November 10, 2008, 03:12:23 pm #1 Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 09:19:53 pm by Dormin Jake
The Thirteen Signs

So yeah okay I'm sort of adding six Lucavi, in a nice, roundabout way.  I won't be using ??? stats, but I will be using relatively high PA, MA, HP, and MP stats, as I'm planning on using the sealed Wizard job (#37?) to make these guys.  I'm not planning any fights against a single, ??? Exodus or anything, for several reasons: I don't want to change the storyline, Ramza owns almost all the gems by this point anyway, I don't have any special sprites to use, and I don't think the battles should be repeatable, like they would in Deep Dungeon.

I did some research into the boss and summon information of each of the six in the other Final Fantasy games in which they appear.  All are in FFXII, and this was the main source for elemental affiliation and spells, but most make other appearances that I wanted to take into account (Zeromus in FFIV, for example).  In doing so, I also reexamined the seven that already appear in FFT, and overhauled everyone's skillsets.

Cúchulainn - Bio (100% Death Sentence + damage), Bio 2 (100 % poison all), Bio 3 (self heal), regular Bio/2/3 spells (add: poison)
Belias - Ifrit, Fire 3/4, Hellcry Punch (fire elem Wave Around), Small Bomb (instant kills a target inflicted with Oil; useless in DD)*
Zalera - Dark Holy, Lich, Death Cold, Darkness (buffs stats of allies), Life Drain
Adrammelech - Bolt 3/4, Spell, Hold Tight, Lightning Stab (sword hacked on for DEB fight, and it works well enough)
Mateus - Shiva, Ice 3/4, Night Sword, Icewolf Bite (damage + slow)
Famfrit - Crush, Water Ball, Lose Voice, Leviathan, Hurricane
Chaos - Wave Around, Loss, Paralyze, Kamaitachi, Gusty Wind, Tornado
Shemhazai - Secret Fist, Wave Fist, Lifebreak, Mute, Ulmaguest, Blind 2 (2x hit dark damage, add: Blind)
Zeromus - Gravi 2, Haste 2, Slow 2, Demi 2, Return 2, Hold Tight, Dark Whisper
Exodus - Petrify, Reflect, Meteor, Melt (single target), Flare 2
Hashmal - Crush Punch (melee Earth damage), Earth Slash, Quake, Lava Ball, Seal (damage + cancels Float on everyone)
Ultima** - Ultima 2, Cure 3/4, Raise 2, Despair 2, Faith (Draw Out AoE, 100% adds Faith, Darkness, Silence, Critical)***
Zodiark - Snake Carrier, Poison Frog, Midgar Zolom, Zodiac, Dark Whisper

* - for the storyline encounter with Belias, I've replaced his Archaic Demons with customized super bombs that are capable of adding Oil.  Ability idea from Skip Sandwich (http://www.ffhacktics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=413).
** - Ultima's first form.  She's closer in power level to the others now.  Second form, as the final boss, is much harder, and will not be seen in DD.
*** - Heh, get it?  Victims blinded by, silenced by, and made to kneel before the sheer perfection of her holy might, in utter worship.

Any comments?  Is this totally stupid or what?

EDIT: Used updated Lucavi/Esper/etc. names.

Lydyn

November 10, 2008, 03:21:26 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
Wow, that's awesome ... I'd like to use some of those ideas, if you don't mind or make variations of them anyways. If you do mind, it's cool, still it's cool to see the other Zodiacs in use.

Dormin Jake

November 10, 2008, 03:23:26 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dormin Jake
Oh yeah, this whole thing is totally meant to give other people ideas, whether those ideas are remotely close to this or not.  Because that is what this board has given me the entire time I've been here.

Your Tricks of the Trade topic is awesome, by the way.

Dokurider

November 10, 2008, 03:31:19 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dokurider
Brutal.

KazeKasano

November 10, 2008, 07:53:58 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by KazeKasano
As you are using XII as a base, would you also be using the new official names for the current Lucavi?
We will build cities in a day, we will build towers to the heavens. We will be heroes.
This sleeping city doesn't know what's coming. She doesn't feel the heat.
Even when the darkness surrounds us, we shall light up the night.

Lydyn

November 10, 2008, 07:59:35 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
Technically in FFXII, Zodiark is the 13th Esper. :P Just chiming that fact in. And thanks for letting me get the ideas from here.

Disco_Peach

November 10, 2008, 09:07:05 pm #7 Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 09:07:59 pm by Disco_Peach
If you wanted more of Elidibs, then stay tuned for my hack. You're gonna love what I have in store for ya! I just haven't wanted to release any spoilers too spoiled! I want people to get pumped when playing my hack. But yes, Elidibs plays a major role in my game. Maybe one of the most important ones. Stay tuned...

Dormin Jake

November 10, 2008, 09:07:45 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dormin Jake
I'm not actually going to be naming them in battle, just because I'm lazy when it comes to text editing, so they'll all have the name "Elidibs" (like if these were illusions or puppets summoned by the mage Elidibs).  As for Velius and company, yes, I suppose the updated names would be more appropriate.  For the sake of convenience I've just left things as they are.  

I will go ahead and edit the above list just to be more clear, though.

Dormin Jake

November 13, 2008, 04:52:06 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dormin Jake
Looks like Voldemort already has an 8-piece zodiac battle in 1.3's END.  Oh well, I tried to have an original thought.   :cry:

Very interesting tease ya got there, Disco.

LastingDawn

January 19, 2009, 04:15:36 am #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
I must say, for those aspiring with new patches and the like, this is a very creative and wonderful base to stand on! I love nearly each and every one of these ideas!
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Dormin Jake

January 19, 2009, 02:06:51 pm #11 Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 03:21:42 am by Dormin Jake
Quote from: "LastingDawn"I must say, for those aspiring with new patches and the like, this is a very creative and wonderful base to stand on! I love nearly each and every one of these ideas!
Aww, geez, thanks!  I've (subconsciously or otherwise) borrowed quite a few ideas from you and others, ideas that I've currently got implemented on my ISO, and Mercenaries is my favorite project in development on these boards, so such a statement means a lot.

As an update to the topic, some of the skillsets have been altered since their creation to be a bit more balanced.  Some of the sets (Shemhazai, Exodus) were a bit experimental in nature, and therefore wonky.  Yes, wonky.  Others would only spam one spell over and over (Zeromus with Haste 2), so they needed to be adjusted to provide more in-game variety.  I'm leaving the original post alone for now though, as they are still subject to change, and the abilities themselves are not so important, as this is all about ideas.

They all retain the same themes though:
Cúchulainn - poison, corruption
Belias - fire, revenge
Zalera - darkness, death
Adrammelech - storm, rage
Mateus - ice, cruelty
Famfrit - water, um heaviness? mopiness?  tears are made of water!
Chaos - wind, ...chaos
Shemhazai - soul, cunning
Zeromus - starfire, hatred
Exodus - gravity, nothingness
Hashmal - earth, war
Ultima - light, divinity (2nd form - power, divinity)
Zodiark - forbidden magic, secrecy

EDIT: switched Zeromus and Exodus' motivations to better reflect their characters.  Thanks Vanya.

Dormin Jake

January 19, 2009, 02:14:40 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dormin Jake
In fact, I think I'll run with the idea that Famfrit represents water and sadness.

Check the screen cap:

The evidence is clear!  Clear as a pitcher of tears!

DarthPaul

January 19, 2009, 03:04:21 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Wow and that's all I have to say Dormin.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Vanya

January 19, 2009, 05:31:01 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
I'd only make 2 adjustments.
Zeromus should be hatred. (Zeromus is the embodiment of Zemus' hatred.)
Exodus should nothingness. (Exodus judged that the world should be destroyed with the power of void.)
These emotions jive better with their origins.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Dormin Jake

January 20, 2009, 03:25:56 am #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dormin Jake
Quote from: "Vanya"I'd only make 2 adjustments.
Zeromus should be hatred. (Zeromus is the embodiment of Zemus' hatred.)
Exodus should nothingness. (Exodus judged that the world should be destroyed with the power of void.)
These emotions jive better with their origins.
Hey, thanks for the feedback, it's just the sort of thing I'm looking for.  List updated.

Eventually I'll get around to making corrections on the skillset ideas in the original post, if nothing else than to better reflect what's happened since, but it's a little late for me to deal with it tonight.

Vanya

January 20, 2009, 01:28:13 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
BTW, I'm planning on implementing the missing Lucavi in my hack too. I've even gone so far as to note where their corresponding Zodiac Stones are acquired from normally. ^_^
¯\(°_0)/¯