• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

How do I remove katana breakage from Draw Out skills?

Started by Pax_Empyrean, September 21, 2014, 04:11:31 am

Pax_Empyrean

September 21, 2014, 04:11:31 am Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 01:13:56 pm by Pax_Empyrean
Hi, I'm new to posting, but I've been lurking for a while and I've got a little experience with FFT modding (and a lot of experience modding other games). I'm looking for information on removing the katana break chance from Draw Out skills and couldn't find instructions on how to do it anywhere.

I was hoping to find it here: http://ffh.kivutar.me/wiki/ASM_Hacking or in Raven's workbooks, but nothing there does that so far as I know. Changing the damage formula for the skills in FFTPatcher doesn't do anything, so I'm guessing it's hard coded. Best case scenario is somebody points me to an offset within a specific file with values to change with a hex editor; I'm comfortable with hex editing, but I have no idea how events work and so this Katana Break Chance page doesn't help me.

Raven's workbooks look like they might be able to do this, but I'm not sure which changes to make to it. If I use the Generic Skillset Fix to reference another skillset that doesn't have stuff hard coded, would that fix it? If I point to a blank skillset as a reference, would I need to assign Draw Out skills to it, or is it just copying the hard-coded aspects of the skillset itself? I'm not entirely clear on how the skillset reference works. Also, if I make a new skillset from one of the empty ones using FFTPatcher, can I add descriptions to it in FFTacText or do I need to overwrite an existing skillset that already has space allocated to it for descriptions and stuff? If I go that route, which jobs and skillsets can be safely overridden?

I don't mind losing the inventory check. I'd actually rather not have it. I know I threw out a bunch of questions in this post, but whatever answers you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Rufio

here you go

<Patch name="Katanas don't break.">
<Description>Removes Random Break from Katana Formulas</Description>
<Location offset="120988" file="BATTLE_BIN">
</Patch>

TableTop Adventures Demo is out.
Try it out and let me know how to make it better.

Pax_Empyrean

Okay, so I created an .xml with just this in the folder where I have FFTorgASM, and it's not showing up on the list of hacks.

Do I just click Patch Name and then select that .xml? I tried that and FFTorgASM doesn't seem to indicate that anything has happened.

Rufio

your .xml file should look like this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Patches>

<Patch name="Katanas don't break.">
<Description>Removes Random Break from Katana Formulas</Description>
<Location offset="120988" file="BATTLE_BIN">
</Location>
</Patch>

</Patches>

just noticed i forgot to </Location> in my original post.  that's why it wouldn't show up in orgASM.

TableTop Adventures Demo is out.
Try it out and let me know how to make it better.

3lric

Quote from: Pax_Empyrean on September 21, 2014, 02:28:23 pm
Do I just click Patch Name and then select that .xml? I tried that and FFTorgASM doesn't seem to indicate that anything has happened.

Once it does show up in the list and you patch, it will not indicate anything happened, I normally just wait about 5 seconds and close
orgASM.
  • Modding version: PSX

Pax_Empyrean

Thanks, both of you. It showed up on the list properly with those changes.

JantheX

Hey, I'm not totally familiar with appropriate forum ettiquete, so I apologize if this is in the wrong place.

I tried implementing the katana nobreak code from above, and the xml for the patch I used matches the code above.  When I play, the characters no longer display the "katananame broke" text, but swords are still sometimes disappearing from my inventory when I use samurai skills.  It kind of looks like this might only be part of the necessary fix?