• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:57:57 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Replace animated game sprites with 3d models?

Started by Bladegrasp1997, January 09, 2015, 11:52:55 am

Angel

I spent too long editing my post, or I would have replied instead. I'd honestly suggest learning a programming language first and foremost. C++, Python, pretty much anything but Java (I kid, but I'm also serious). Try messing around in Game Maker. It's really better to start from there before you try doing anything on PlayStation, just to have a better understanding of data structure and form. Extensive console mods really need a strong understanding of the basics and theory of programming, especially in proper code conventions of the console in question.
  • Modding version: PSX
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Bladegrasp1997

I have a little knowledge of Visual C++ and I'm still learning as I go along(Though it mainly deals with character animations). I will try Game Maker. I really appreciate the advice, Thanks.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Bladegrasp1997

Possible game engine. Main obstacle would be coding. Still looking into python and c++ to see if it could be used to implement a turn based battle system in Blender.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sENyBeweaUc

Nyzer

Is this topic about trying to port FFT over a new game engine AND changing all the character models from sprites to 3D?

You would have better luck just remaking FFT from scratch. I mean at that point it's not a "mod" project so much as literally developing a new game.

And if you want to know how involved that is, just check out the credits to FFIII DS.

I really don't want to crap on your hopes here but this is like watching someone write a story, then say "okay the hard part's done, now turning it into a game should be easy!"

Coding isn't the "main obstacle". It's the foundation, the core of what you want to do. You're trying to paint a house before the ground has even been dug out before laying the foundation to build it.
Or to build a car from scratch when all you've got are a couple wheels and no knowledge of engines.

Bladegrasp1997

Not porting, remaking it all together from scratch. I know it's not a short term project. The engine has existing python scripts as well as others that can be imported to try what I have in mind. There are many "homemade games" that have been made by one person for this engine including a number of turn based rpg's. The 3D aspect of this(models,level design,animations) will be the easy part since I am already familiar with working in that area. I say "main obstacle" because I'm still learning the basic functions of C++ and other coding used for games. I don't see you as crapping on my hopes at all but as giving realistic and useful advice. Even if it doesn't work, I still figure the knowledge gained would be useful for future projects or at the very least I can say I tried.   

Nyzer

Fair enough.

I'd recommend starting off with just reimagining some of the more important fights in FFT, no worrying about the job system/world map/items until later.

Seeing the Orbonne Monastery battle in 3D, even on a different engine, would be pretty neat. And that still sounds like a lot of work, but far more doable as a starting point.

Bladegrasp1997

That does sound like a very good starting point. I was actually going to try to start off with the battle system but I think getting actual level designs would be better. Is there a way to get the texture mapping from the level itself? Not just the floor mapping, but the building and landscape textures? I would like to make it as close to original as possible so that nothing is too high poly. If not I can get some textures off google. Thanks for the suggestion. :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVUPQcahOBg

Cheetah

Go to the main page and hit Tools. You will want to use Ganesha to get level textures.
Current Projects:

Angel

* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

3lric

Actually, the Ganesha ones are greyscale. For the color textures export them with map2gl and load them into blender.

Bladegrasp1997

I tried extracting the map folder with magicISO and universalextractor, but every time I get an error telling me the file is locked or it cannot be extracted. I've tried extracting the folder with the ECM file converted to a BIN as well as an ISO but I still get the same "file is locked" message. Does the file need to be in a specific format to extract the folders?

Kaijyuu

Do you have the file open in any other programs?

3lric

Bladegrasp1997

The file is not open in any other program. I converted the original ecm file to an iso and tried CDmageB5. I keep getting this message. Does this mean that the ecm file I have is corrupted? CDProg will not open the iso file at all. When I hit Yes I can see all the folders but they are empty when extracted.

3lric

You just need to hit yes...

ECM is not a useable file... You need to use ECMTools to UNECM the file into a .BIN cuz that is how em------ise stores their files... I'd say you are in way over your head here, but it's already been said many times.

Bladegrasp1997

August 15, 2015, 05:55:33 pm #35 Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 06:01:27 pm by Bladegrasp1997
Your 100% right, I have very little know how when it comes to converting files and attempting something like this. This is a whole new territory for me. I should have mentioned that I converted the ecm to a BIN file as well as an ISO. I tried both on both programs. So what your saying is that I need to unecm the ecm file then convert it to a  BIN? Like I said I'm not familiar with file converters.

Bladegrasp1997

Here's what I'm getting. When I extract the map folder it shows up at the designation but is empty.

3lric

Bladegrasp1997

Yes, I am a noob who has no idea what he's doing. I'll just get the textures from google. Thank you for helping me thus far.  :)

Xifanie

Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful