• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Stacking Reaction And Movement Abilities

Started by Ronin1984, October 06, 2014, 03:16:49 pm

Ronin1984

Hello, everyone! I've been working hard on a mod that changes quite a bit of the game (as in nearly every job, item, and monster) in the hopes of creating a sequel. Some of my plans are in the 'project ideas' section of the forums. Part of the design of the mod requires multiple reaction abilities functioning on the same creature/character such as Scoundrels [thief] having both Vanish and Reflexes innately so that if a scoundrel is hit there is a seperate brave% chance of both of them triggering on top of whatever the player set as that character's reaction ability. Also, I have the White Mage [priest] designed with both Move-HP and Move-MP innate but they don't seem to stack. I'd really like to be able to do this in order to accomblish my vision for the game. Is there something out there already made to tackle this or some way I could overcome this challenge? Please and thank you. :)
"History does not repeat itself but it often does rhyme." -Mark Twain

Xifanie

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=1288

You'll probably want to tackle ASM hacking for your project.
All I know is that for your Move HP+MP Up ability, I think you'll have to write to:
[indent=2]0x192/0x06 - HP Healing Halfword
0x196/0x0a - MP Healing Halfword[/indent]

see: http://ffhacktics.com/wiki/Battle_Stats
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Ronin1984

Thank you! This has already proven to be a real learning experience. I'll get right on that. Hopefully I'll have something remotely playable before too long.

Ronin1984

Well I have just read the 'beginner's guide to ASM hacking' here on this site a few times and I have to say that it is not, in fact, a beginner's guide, unfortunately. Zodiac is just going to have to consider my logical mind undeveloped because despite my best efforts most of it went 'woosh' right over my head. Now creative writing- writing is easy for me. However, I don't even know most of the terminology or acronymns used in the guide and looking at all those register numbers over and over again literally gave me a headache (I read the guide multiple times). I don't lack for motivation and I think I have a good game mechanics design in mind but this ASM stuff I do not have a talent for. Any advice?

Choto

Asm is hard to learn at first but the.more you understand the easier it becomes. Once you know enough, it's really really simple. If you don't learn asm you will be at the mercy of other people's effort, schedules, and motivation.

So my suggestion is first, keep trying to learn. If you really.cant, then Try to learn other things like eventing or spriting. The more effort people see you putting in the.more they will be Inclined to help.

If you have any questions about asm you can always post them. There are quite a few topics in the help section of people that have asked questions and received answers so you can learn from those threads as well.