• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:00:58 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Editing Item.bin and Frame.bin (battle and menu icons)

Started by LastingDawn, December 01, 2008, 11:56:37 pm

LastingDawn

December 01, 2008, 11:56:37 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Alright! As promised a long time ago, I figured out (or just pieced together...) how to edit Item.bin and Frame.bin without any adverse problems! It is quite simple...

First Step, open Shishi.

Second Step, open Item.bin or Frame.bin

Third Step, load up Larg's Palette, to portrait (so you can see a clear outline of what you're editing)

Fourth Step, Export the Item.bin using Larg's Palette,
(Now this is where things get slightly complicated, depending on the editing tool you're using, somehow load or change the colors of the first palette to Larg's portrait's palette, or load that palette if possible)

Firth Step, Edit what you want

Sixth Step, open Item.bin, and export it's palette

Seventh Step,  import your modified Item.bin (please name it something different...)

Eigth Step, Put in it's natural palette

Ninth Step, use CD Mage or CD Program to put it in game, the end result is...

Well I hope that helps our possibilities by a ton! Best of luck everyone with your new ventures in Icon editing!
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

AuraDragon

December 02, 2008, 01:50:41 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by AuraDragon
What is that?  A rock?  A Pokeball?  A glob of poo?

LastingDawn

December 02, 2008, 06:06:39 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Good question, it's something that looked a lot better in the Larg Portrait Palette, then in actual game.

EDIT: Better example...

One of the Souls from FFTA (A bit of color reversals and the like would probably be preferable, heh...

Art of War

DarthPaul

December 02, 2008, 11:06:00 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Words can't describe what you have brought to the table of FFT editing.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

SentinalBlade

December 02, 2008, 02:53:17 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
except; YaY New Item Sprites :D

LastingDawn

December 02, 2008, 03:58:23 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Hmm.... a... Parade Helmet gone wrong?

Art of War

AuraDragon

December 02, 2008, 06:26:49 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by AuraDragon
Once you fix the palettes up it won't look as... garbled.

LastingDawn

December 02, 2008, 06:52:51 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Good luck with that... technically we need to figure out how to load the native palettes, since I'm only using Larg's Portrait as a temple, since you're able to at least see everything clearly with it.

Art of War

Vanya

December 02, 2008, 09:48:13 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
It's probable that the palettes are in the files themselves, just that Shishi doesn't know where they are or they're organized weird.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Cheetah

December 02, 2008, 10:45:42 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
The palettes are in the same file. From what melonhead has said I believe that reading and writing to these files is upcoming for FFTPatcher/ShiShi.
Current Projects:

Vanya

December 02, 2008, 11:18:58 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Sweet. But in the mean time it shouldn't be too difficult to track down the palettes using SNESpal. Tile Molester should be able to edit the files and load the palettes if the correct addresses are given.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

BeoulveBlack

December 03, 2008, 08:58:31 am #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by BeoulveBlack
wow, i'd actually been doin this for a while; i didn't think it was anything special i had come up with...

i had always used it to edit the accessories. i made a shield ring, and it looked quite good. the key to getting the pallet right is to look at the sheets for item.bin in the correct palettes (i think it's in ripped data, but not sure), then match it to other shades on other items that have the desired color (when they are placed in their correct palette, that is)

LastingDawn

December 03, 2008, 10:25:17 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Heh, you should post your own icons! I would have never made the thread if I had known that, haha! That's the way I've been doing it, but that seems horribly convoluted when there Must be an easier way. But I'd like to see what you've made so far, always looking for new material.

Art of War

Aqueous

Sorry to necro but felt it's probably better to include a new post as part of this thread (for context) than just create an entirely new one.

Anyone know how to edit these files, especially Frame.BIN, now that Shishi seems to lack the functionality?