• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 03:57:22 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Trancer Job Discussion (Large Update on First Post!)

Started by LastingDawn, February 25, 2009, 11:52:57 am

LastingDawn

February 27, 2009, 01:46:56 am #20 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Well... that's really it, that will be it's niche, something to use on a level playing ground, could be highly effective, or totally useless.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Dormin Jake

February 27, 2009, 02:05:54 am #21 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dormin Jake
Seems like it would cause too many targeting headaches if you were controlling one, and would be too easy to evade if you were fighting against one or more.  

I like your poisoner idea, but that really puts me in the mindset of a status inflicter.  One that inflicts status based on terrain and who doesn't rely on faith.  Basically like their directly channeling the ill will of the land itself into their enemies.  

I just think it should have manual targeting.  5 range with 1 AoE does seem excessive, but single paneling from 1,2,maybe 3 squares away, with vertical tolerance limitations, would just make more flavorful sense to me than flat paneling.  But 0 vertical attacks tend to bother me in general: "you mean that punch/healing ability/earth shattering tremor/poison gas cloud can't extend up just a few more inches?"  The restriction just seems arbitrary to me.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
We are Dormin. Thou art to bring us a tasty beverage.
  • Discord username: dorminjake

LastingDawn

February 27, 2009, 02:24:53 am #22 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
I really don't have an argument for that, in actuality come to think of it... can you think up any skills that aren't too similar too Geomancy?

Art of War

boomkick

February 27, 2009, 10:25:49 am #23 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by boomkick
Bio- Only can be used on grassland tile??
Adds poison/death sentence at 80% efficiency.

Is this the kind you were looking for or do you want a completely revamped skillset with normal magic/ability/skill targeting?

LastingDawn

February 27, 2009, 11:41:12 am #24 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
We're forced to use the terrain bases, as it stands... but there's some room for leverage, also don't forget we have CT usage available for these skills at least.

Art of War

Celdia

February 27, 2009, 11:44:41 am #25 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Celdia
What about a charge-breaker? Make a series of skills that do more damage the closer you get, say starting out at like 8-9 range, single target, that do 12-24 damage, moving closer and getting more powerful so that the adjacent range skills do a heavy amount of damage (like maybe late-game Swordskill damages) that all have Cancel: Charging. And put in maybe one mid-short range Area 2 AOE skill.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

LastingDawn

February 27, 2009, 12:51:25 pm #26 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
While very interesting... we are unfortunately bound by Terrain limitations, if we weren't... the idea would be worth consideration.

Art of War

Dormin Jake

February 27, 2009, 03:18:21 pm #27 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dormin Jake
Okay, I'm thinking a kind of herbalist here.  I was trying to figure out a way to get poison from, say, sand, and I realized it'd make more sense if it involved a poisonous, desert-dwelling plant.  So I jotted down a few (hasty) ideas that can be easily adjusted.  I'm listing each of the old Elemental abilities rather than copying out every single terrain panel.  

I'm thinking maybe a MA+X% status infliction, at a range of 1-4 (4 becaus it's the range of Throw Item, and this is similar, in a way), depending on how you want to balance it:

Pitfall -> Fuddleroot (Confusion)
Water Ball -> Stranglekelp (Don't Move)
Hell Ivy -> Blackbloom (Poison)
Carve Model -> Gorgon Flower (Petrify)
Local Quake -> Bruiseweed (Berserk)
Kamaitachi -> Mossfungus (Death Sentence) - chosen because it includes Moss and Coffin panels
Demon Fire -> Magebane (Silence)
Quicksand -> Dreamfoil (Sleep)
Sandstorm -> Blindthorn (Darkness)
Blizzard -> Winter's Bite (Slow)
Gusty Wind -> Sky Lichen (Don't Act)
Lava Ball -> Fire Lotus (Dead)

Rather than drawing out the geomantic power of the earth itself, these warriors carry fresh supplies of whatever harmful herbs they can get their hands on, depending on the landscape.  The idea is that the poison of each plant spoils quickly, so what an Herbalist is capable of doing is largely dependent on where they are.

Status can be adjusted to whatever makes most sense, of course.  I tried to put some of the more powerful abilities in rarer terrain types.  This is basically a hybrid of Geomancer and the late Oracle, with an MA-based skillset.

boomkick

February 27, 2009, 05:32:31 pm #28 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by boomkick
Nice, an herbalist. But isn't the Reliquian* a little close to that?

dwib

February 27, 2009, 07:23:04 pm #29 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by dwib
I like the skills and their names Dormin Jake. I felt like targeting all units of the same height was not broken and was very very unique. I preferred that.

Reliquian actually uses items, not terrain.

PX_Timefordeath

February 27, 2009, 07:23:21 pm #30 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by PX_Timefordeath
Yay, my suggestion made up a class! YAY!

[EDIT]And silence is now addle

Dormin Jake

February 28, 2009, 03:52:17 am #31 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dormin Jake
Quote from: "PX_Timefordeath"And silence is now addle
*smacks self*

Sorry, forgot.  Well, like I said, status effects can be adjusted!

Heh, heh.

*adjusts collar*

LastingDawn

February 28, 2009, 12:31:02 pm #32 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Hmmm... only thing I don't like about them is their similarity to WoW's herbs, that will probably need changed. Aside from that, this will combine the Oracle and Geomancer class into one class then?

Art of War

Dormin Jake

February 28, 2009, 02:24:40 pm #33 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dormin Jake
Yes, I'm so terribly original.  Pilfered WoW herb names AND just slapped two vanilla classes together!  Win.

I was trying to think in the vein of debilitating status infliction, but you kind of already have that with your remade Archer, right?  I'm sure there are better ideas floating around in the aether of the interwebs, but I just thought I'd chip in my 2c.

LastingDawn

March 01, 2009, 02:47:02 am #34 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Hmm... finding a unique niche to put a Geomancer in will be very tricky, we have two good ideas so far, the zero height  all panel moves and the combination of Oracle and Geomancer, anyone else have any ideas?

Art of War

PX_Timefordeath

March 01, 2009, 10:50:25 am #35 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by PX_Timefordeath
How bout the spells are self destruct like but smaller range so they hit the user and everyone around him, a double-edged sword?

boomkick

March 01, 2009, 02:04:43 pm #36 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by boomkick
Why not make a necromancer kind of character that deals in death and the likes.

Or do you want to stay with the land based/zero height tolerance stuff related to the geomancer or poison master?

LastingDawn

March 01, 2009, 04:02:07 pm #37 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
It's "not" that I want to stay with the land base, it's that I Have to stay with the land base. What would a necromancer even realistically do? Anything that deals much with dead people is a very powerful move.

Art of War

tithin

March 03, 2009, 08:04:58 am #38 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by tithin
Trancer - The Trancer is a class of many secrets. Trained in all, they draw on the power of the Earth, instead of the St. Ajora, to grant them the skills of their compatriots. The skills they have access to is dependant on the ground they are on.

Of their own skills, the Trancer has just one, and even that is a secret to all but the highest ranking Trancer.

Arbalist - Disruptive Shot / Waterway, River, Lake, Sea, Waterfall

Spirit of Water, overwhelm my enemies magic!

----

Invoker - Casts Burn in a Cross Arc / Sand area, Stalactite, Salt

Fury of the Sands, I will you use you to burn my enemies.

----

Dragoon - Casts Monster Sooth / Roof, Sky, Chimney

Hear me, rest thy weary head. I am not your enemy today..

----

Monk - Casts Ghost Strike / Natural Surface, Wasteland, Road

The Spirit of Magic has decreed your inability to cast..

----

Knight - Casts Battle Cry / Grassland, Thicket, Water planet, Ivy

Spirit of the Grassland, slow not our passage!

----

Warder - I'd like to use this, but am unsure of the finished selected skills for the class.

----

Reliquian - Relic 7 / Snow, Ice

Spirit of the Blizzard, blind my enemies with your hate!

----

Gambler- Darts / Wooden floor, Rug, Box, Stairs, Deck

Spirit of the trickster, heed my call!

----

Inquisitor - Mirror Stance / Rocky cliff, Lava rocks

Spirit of the Earth, Shield me from my foes site!

----

Hessian - Intimidating Stare - The Hessian channels the horrors from their targets mind, causing them to flee in terror. Inflicts Critical OR Chicken / Book, Tree, Brick, Bridge, Furniture, Iron plate, Moss, Coffin

Look upon me, and know your deepest fears..

----

Secret Skill - Natures Wrath - Attempts to snare everyone on the battlefield with Don't Act or Don't Move. Includes allies. / Lava, Machine

Spirit of Nature, Spirite of Machinery, Stop my foes in their tracks. Wait..
14:45  @SilentB         ò "Hey, Cosgrove, how come you never married?"
14:45  @SilentB         ò "Because I eat too much meat."
14:46  @Celdia          ò Heresy. No such thing as 'too much meat'
14:47  @Celdia          ò One night with tithin would teach you that.

Zuka

March 03, 2009, 05:56:05 pm #39 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zuka
What about altering the abilities themselves in ways like Kourama said that changed their basic functions, for example, hell ivy could still add stop, but deal no damage and have a drastically increased likelihood of stopping, I know from my own experience that the formulas can be changed in any way you'd like, however the abilities themselves still rely on appropriate terrain. Why not try making them effect a single target and dropping their damage while boosting the likelihood of inflicted status effects, or potentially changing certain elementals into beneficial abilities that effect the party in an AoE 1 as is traditional. I mean, these are just ideas, but from my experience with the geomancer they are more than plausible. Even if not very good.