• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Official names for MP poison and regen

Started by Gaignun, August 02, 2016, 11:59:33 am

Place one vote for [MP Regen] and another for [MP Poison]. Or don't. Whatever.

[MP Regen] Refresh
15 (83.3%)
[MP Regen] Mist
1 (5.6%)
[MP Regen] Blessing
2 (11.1%)
[MP Regen] Other
0 (0%)
[MP Poison] Sap
16 (88.9%)
[MP Poison] Curse
2 (11.1%)
[MP Poison] Leak
0 (0%)
[MP Poison] Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: August 25, 2016, 09:39:58 am

Gaignun

August 02, 2016, 11:59:33 am Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 12:14:56 pm by Gaignun
I would like to confirm the official names of MP poison and regen before releasing an updated team design tool.

Currently, we are referring to MP regen and poison as exactly that.  Aesthetically, I and perhaps others would prefer to give these two new statuses unique names.  "MP regen" and "MP poison" are a mouthful, yet are difficult to abbreviate without inviting confusion with either the MP stat or regular old (HP) regen and poison.

Unfortunately, MP forms of regen and poison are uncommon in RPGs, so we do not have established nomenclature to fall back on.  Thus, we need to get creative.

I will start by proposing my own names:

MP regen: Refresh.  Easy to say alongside Regen, and alludes to the lucidity of one's state of mind, which which one is capable of reciting a tireless number of spells.

MP poison: To pair with the naming philosophy of Refresh, I want a name that reflects how one's mental aptitude degrades over time.  Unfortunately, using real world language here for inspiration gives names that are too technical or downright terrible: Dementia, Depression, Migraine, et cetera.  Thus, I am going for the nondescript yet delightfully concise name of Hex.  In the style of Breath of Fire IV, a Hex is some kind of poisonous miasma created from negative emotions such as hatred and sorrow, two emotions among many which perturb the clarity of thought and mind.

As a bonus, both names can easily be uttered as verbs in commentary (i.e., refreshed and hexed).

Otabo

Dokurider

MP Regen could be Mist. Sorta ties into FFXII lore. But Refresh is good, is okay, I like.

Hex though... My association is different: I keep thinking about the polymorph spell in DOTA 2. Leak could be a good name.

Andrew

I still like HP/MP Poison and HP/MP Regen.  I know, I'm boring.  :P
  • Modding version: PSX

silentkaster

Quote from: Otabo on August 02, 2016, 12:15:05 pm
Hex sounds good to me, as does Refresh.

A wild Otabo has appeared!

*Throws a pokeball at him.*

Oh...wait...I guess I should post something relevant to the topic.

I don't mind hex so much, but I'm not feeling refresh.

My initial thoughts were curse and blessing (which can now be referred to in game as cursed and blessed) to keep in line with the FFT storyline of St. Ajora and all.
You've stepped in puddles less shallow than me.

CT5Holy

Mist is cute, Refresh is solid. I'd be happy with either for MP Regen.

MP Poison: I remember someone suggesting Sap, which felt appropriate.
Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney

Shintroy

Refresh for MP Regen. Also in favor for Sap as MP Poison.
Hope you like this patch Otabo.
Some day my people will be free.

Mudvayne

Mist or Refresh sounds fine to me.

Hex isn't so bad either. Sap has a nice sound to it. Anything is better than MP Poision/Regen though, IMO.  :oops:

Kurosabes

Interesting name ideas. I like Refresh for MP Regen. As for MP Poison, I am leaning towards Sap. Hex reminds me of the dark spells from Dark Souls 2.
  • Discord username: Kurosabes#0312

Eternal

• Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Timbo

• Discord username: Timbo

Corosar

Quote from: CT5Holy on August 02, 2016, 01:58:21 pm
Mist is cute, Refresh is solid. I'd be happy with either for MP Regen.

MP Poison: I remember someone suggesting Sap, which felt appropriate.

i am in favor of this idea as well. MP poison needs to be Sap or Minddrain for me to personally be happy with it. as for Regen. Refresh is something i can go with but personally Manawell was my idea. I have no idea why i have strange ideas for the name
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Time for a new season!

V 1.4.1 W/L: 3 / 7
V 1.4 W/L: 3 / 14.5
V 1.39 W/L: 13.25 / 22

Heroebal

I like refresh and sap. Sap also doubles as part of ff lore too.

dw6561

Refresh sounds pretty cool. I do kinda like the sound of Sap better than Hex though, since Hex is kind of ambiguous in its meaning.
This is FF Tactics. All the Tactics you can ever have, all in one byte.

Reks

And while it's non-relative to the thread topic, Oil (which makes all elements hurt more) could arguably be changed to Curse

Since Oil's name doesn't 100% make sense for anything but Fire hurting more

I do know that'll conflict with new skills, like Douse, but it's an idea. (I really like CCP2, hush.)
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

gatebuster202

Refresh is simple and easy, Sap is good, oil could be call Cursed as well.
Winner of the 2nd FFT Arena SCC Tourney. -Geomancers

Nyzer

I don't often look in here but the idea of this topic intrigued me a bit.         

I would've suggested Sap for the MP drain. Nice to see it's already been mentioned!

As for the regen... Refresh sounds like the right name for the status, while Mist sounds like the name of the spell that would cause it. Mist as a status sounds weird to me.

Gaignun

I threw a few of the suggested names into a poll.

I am sorry to trouble everyone further, but it would be much obliged if you could place one vote for options tagged with "MP Regen" and another for options tagged with "MP Poison." If you do not like any of the suggested names represented in the poll, please vote for "Other."  If "other" accrues more votes than any suggested name of its corresponding category, then let us keep the discussion open.

Barren

I think refresh and sap are the more appropriate terms for MP regen/poison. It sounds better to say than the other ones. At least IMO it is
You dare cross blades with me?

Shintroy

Even if other names win I'll only call them Refresh and Sap. Maybe curse for MP Poison because it's a final fantasy related name. All other names aren't FF related. Not counting anything after FFXII.
Some day my people will be free.