• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:16:57 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Arena battle videos and discussion

Started by PX_Timefordeath, August 04, 2010, 06:49:51 pm

The Damned

(Well that's out of the way at least.)

That went about as well as expected. I would have preferred if other teams were used given I just updated those, but seeing how I clearly have no business making teams in the first place, much less trying to "fix" them", it doesn't really matter.

Anyway, thanks for the video, Barren. Now you can record actually decent matches.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Anima Zero

Thanks for the video Barren!

Well, I'm pretty happy with how my teams are working out overall.  Did like that 507 critical I saw in the first match up, that's for sure.

All I need to ponder here is if keeping Kagesougi on my Ninja in Frozen in Time is still going to be worth it at this point or if I should swap it out for something else, perhaps another status curing item.  Might have to see this team in another match or two before I make a decision on that
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero..." Zero, Mega Man Zero 4

Shintroy

Thanks for vid silentkaster and welcome back to recording matches.
Damage vs Tank

Round 1 and 2 the only reason these took so long was because I forgot about Shuriken using MP again. Round 1 was a nailbiter though. Surprised bag damage was so high. Meant for only shuriken to be used. Did not expect the bag at all.

Round 3 is how I wanted things to go.

GG. A bit rusty, but I think I can fix this team so it works as intended. Ninjas with Move-MP Up will be tough
Some day my people will be free.

Barren

I was definitely out gunned but yet counter flood helped me out in both rounds. Everything else went my way from there. GG Anima Zero
You dare cross blades with me?

Reks

Quote from: TrueLight on February 17, 2015, 05:24:11 pm
FFT Arena 1.39C - Reks (Quake With Fear)

Dunno why I forgot, after changing Aftershock from a Summoner to a Time Mage, to give some form of MP restoration to the Scholar.

Changed, as well as the Geo's Fury.

Thanks for the matches, TL. Excellent music choices, as always :P
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

The Damned

February 18, 2015, 11:46:11 pm #3868 Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 08:14:49 am by The Damned
(Thanks for the videos, silentkaster and TrueLight.)

Also, it's good to see that Barren isn't encased in snow given all the storms still hitting Boston and that side of the country in general.

I'll admit that I originally thought reinoe would win this despite  Shintroy's damage advantage, if only because Quickening + Charm meaning the Ninjas would potentially easily get Charmed and destroy their own Scholars. That's essentially what eventually happened in the first round anyway after a way too long battle due to the Monk going down so early and never getting revived. In the second and third rounds though, Charm either missed or got Tornado'd away quickly (due to Tornado and Quake's insanely fast speed) and Insult backfired big time in both those rounds too unlike the first one where the Squire with Talk Skill used it on more appropriate targets.

Not much else to say beyond that except that I find it ironic that the entire match was set to Sonic music given how long the first round took. Then again I suppose it's oddly appropriate given the increased quickness of the second and third rounds where Shintroy overran reinoe: Round 1 was essentially the first Sonic where everything immediately slows way down after the Green Hill Zone; Round 2 was Sonic 2, which can ran through at a decent pass until get to the Metropolis Zone; Round 3 was Sonic 3 sans & Knuckles given how quickly it went by. [/forced comparisons]

Oh, hey. I actually recognized the majority of songs in here for once, though I'll talk about that below outside of spoilers.

For the most part, this round was basically determined by Counter Flood, especially that first round where we finally see Water Ball turn someone into a Frog after like...a year or more of that not happening. That it happened twice and stayed on the Ninja is basically what won Barren the round off the bat.

The second round was much closer and might even have gone to Anima Zero had Barren's female Geomancer not guarded that otherwise would-be-fatal Spear shot from the Monk. I do have to wonder things would have turned out if she had gone done there....

Still, it was nice to see Barren go against a team that he didn't automatically beat by virtue of sheer bad matches as happened with Otabo's Total Summoning. And Anima Zero's team held on decently well enough for all the status Elemental/Geomancy threw out at it and despite getting unlucky with Platina Dagger for once (Platina Dagger's proc probably needs to be less likely to fire anyway, but that's a balance discussion.)

I'm tempted to make an Earth Absorb team now between this and the Kikuchimo(n)ji the Katana question Malroth brought up in the balance thread. However, given the PK Rocking one that I made with Reks technically still counts, meh.

And the foddering counts. A bad match with bad luck for me on top of that, but oh well; it's not like that doesn't usually happen to me anyway. At least this is more proof that Haste 1 just sucks currently and that the Time Magic Secondary I was hesitant to give Green Requiem+ is just not useful for this team since Haste status does nothing for it anyway. The Short Charge Haste 1 idea at least sort of worked out though.

Still, I guess I'll go back to Dance Secondary since, "ironically", if I had kept that I might have a more even match against Reks's team between both Witch Hunt and Nameless Dance screwing with this version of his team.

Well, nice to see someone else pull off an Archer Only Team that has no Spellgunners to boot. I suppose I shouldn't have tried to make my team with only Crossbow users on top of that like an idiot, but meh. That teams dead and apparently redundant now.

Still, I did kind of expect reinoe's team to lose that first match due to the idiotic way that his archers kept bunching up in the corner. His team would have lost if Reks's Scholar hadn't run out of just enough MP--she had 17--to cast a Quake that would have killed at least two people. After that, though, reinoe's team was able to regroup and pick people off.

His team winning at Doldobar Swamp wasn't suprising though given the wide open space he had to work. Reks's Thief, which kicked my ass, suffered even worse there than the first round and didn't even manage to ever get close to anyone of them, not that anyone on Reks's team ever got much of the chance to do so. I was kind of the surprised to see the Gunner take team out to use Antidote on his ally to heal only Blind though. I suppose it's because said ally was directly in his line of fire or something since the A.I. usually foregoes curing Blind (by itself) infuriatingly enough. Huh.

So, in the fight between Anima Zero and Barren, I recognized "Temporal Despair" from OC Remix's remixes of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time and "...And In Her Self-Loathing and Despair, She Found Wrath" from OC Remix's remixes of Chrono Trigger; I'll edit in the links later.

May I know what the third song was though, TrueLight? I didn't recognize it, though it was something that remained greatly of The Outer Limits's opening theme for all things.

Regardless, thanks again.

Spoiler EDIT: Whoops. I forgot add an extra end-spoiler tag.

Lazy EDIT: Finally got around to adding the links to those two things. My, how intensive.

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

TrueLight

Quote from: The Damned on February 18, 2015, 11:46:11 pm
I'm tempted to make an Earth Absorb team now between this and the Kikuchimo(n)ji the Katana question Malroth brought up in the balance thread. However, given the PK Rocking one that I made with Reks technically still counts, meh.

And the foddering counts. A bad match with bad luck for me on top of that, but oh well; it's not like that doesn't usually happen to me anyway. At least this is more proof that Haste 1 just sucks currently and that the Time Magic Secondary I was hesitant to give Green Requiem+ is just not useful for this team since Haste status does nothing for it anyway. The Short Charge Haste 1 idea at least sort of worked out though.

Still, I guess I'll go back to Dance Secondary since, "ironically", if I had kept that I might have a more even match against Reks's team between both Witch Hunt and Nameless Dance screwing with this version of his team.

Well, nice to see someone else pull off an Archer Only Team that has no Spellgunners to boot. I suppose I shouldn't have tried to make my team with only Crossbow users on top of that like an idiot, but meh. That teams dead and apparently redundant now.

Still, I did kind of expect reinoe's team to lose that first match due to the idiotic way that his archers kept bunching up in the corner. His team would have lost if Reks's Scholar hadn't run out of just enough MP--she had 17--to cast a Quake that would have killed at least two people. After that, though, reinoe's team was able to regroup and pick people off.

His team winning at Doldobar Swamp wasn't suprising though given the wide open space he had to work. Reks's Thief, which kicked my ass, suffered even worse there than the first round and didn't even manage to ever get close to anyone of them, not that anyone on Reks's team ever got much of the chance to do so. I was kind of the surprised to see the Gunner take team out to use Antidote on his ally to heal only Blind though. I suppose it's because said ally was directly in his line of fire or something since the A.I. usually foregoes curing Blind (by itself) infuriatingly enough. Huh.

So, in the fight between Anima Zero and Barren, I recognized "Temporal Despair" from OC Remix's remixes of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time and "And In Her Self-Loathing and Despair, She Found Wrath" from OC Remix's remixes of Chrono Trigger; I'll edit in the links later.

May I know what the third song was though, TrueLight? I didn't recognize it, though it was something that remained greatly of The Outer Limits's opening theme for all things.

Xenoblade Chronicles - The Night Before the Decisive Battle
  • Modding version: PSX

Barren

It has been a while since I did any matches but I do plan on doing a rivalry series between myself and CT5Holy since he's one of my favorite opponents so far in Arena. At least at somepoint soon

If anyone else want to do a rivalry series with any of my teams its fine as well. I know that they are not up to par at the moment (busy with school and all) but I think it would be a good thing (even if I lose to someone) to see if any of my teams needs to be scrapped or updated.

My Tri-Absorb team is surprisingly competent but eventually it may need a overhaul because of initial damage output but at least the synergy is there

Otabo

Wow, damn Silencer must be broken. Either that, or I was extremely unlucky to get one silence proc in. Anyway, that first match took so long; probably because my retarded mediators focused the geo so hard while the others (read: mime) were getting potshotted by the dancer the whole time. Also, perfect example of why mimes with secondaries that require charging suck hard. Second round was won by mainly charms on the dancer at the end. GG.

Reks

• Discord username: Reks#0128

silentkaster

Arggggh, finger guard fails me hard in rounds 2 and 3 or I might've stood a chance. Yes, weak sandbagging but they were fast enough that they might've held on if chemist didn't get hit with insult and mimic data on, respectively. Might change a few things...not sure. GG Shintroy.

Thanks TrueLight!
You've stepped in puddles less shallow than me.

Barren

February 22, 2015, 09:21:25 pm #3876 Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 06:04:28 am by Barren
FFT Arena 1.39c Rivalry Series - Barren vs CT5Holy

After witnessing some of my teams I got to really rework world of balance again because I do feel that I got something going with the reflect strategy but I feel like the problems in terms of staying alive when positioned is still at large. May change some setups for my wake up dead team though it still gets the job done and for hammer of good probably the same. GG CT5Holy, that was fun

The Damned

(Finally edited my last post to have the links it should have had days ago. Such sloth.)

Anyway, due to such sloth, you guys get spared my boring match analysis for once. A whole of Mimes in the three videos before the Rivalry one, though, so I suppose as much as I've forsaken that class, it was interesting to see what more could be gleaned about their behavior. It doesn't seem like any weapon sharing beyond Mimes went on in Otabo's match though. Hmmm....

As for the Rivalry, not much to say there except that I figure CT5Holy will again be lamenting how stupid the A.I. can act, especially given the way his Dancer acted in the first round of the third match. Terpsichore Christ she was dumb.

Regardless, as always thanks TrueLight and Barren. Belated thanks to TrueLight for the song name too. I suppose I'll have to check out the Xenogears series' OSTs sooner rather than later despite still having no desire to ever play those games.

Kurosabes

A bit late to comment on my match, but...

Mime has some problems it seems. Perhaps I should have studied them a bit more, but learning the hard way is fine, too. I've noticed it never tried to Mimic bow attacks. Does that have something to do with the equipped weapon? I assume you guys probably know more than I do, I don't really watch other matches.

Constantly picking on the Geo really helped Otabo here. My Geo is the only big AoE damage dealer, and keeping her down (or Stopped/Berserked in this case) prevented that. I'm not sure what she has equipped, but some tweaks are probably needed for that character as well. I'll have to look into that, probably later this week. Good match.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Kurosabes#0312

CT5Holy

Good stuff Barren! No surprises with the loss to Wake Up Dead; Soundbite is much weaker.

Delay Buster though ;_;   I try to make them somewhat resilient with Item and it just bites me in the bum. R1 was hilariously painful, especially since at one point it looked like I was going to win again after giving away the upper hand. But then they moved away and it was just all kinds of bad. XD
Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney