• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:37:06 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Season 5 Tournament for Winter 2017?

Started by Barren, July 30, 2016, 10:33:00 am

Barren

Hey guys with 1.4 already released, I was wondering if anyone would like to do a traditional FFT Arena AI Season tournament for the winter of 2017 (starting January 1 or 2)?

I figure since the fall won't be a go (at least for me to host) because I'm going back to school and I really want to graduate and get out of there. Plus it gives us a chance to get more of a feel for 1.4.

We can discuss registration and whatnot before we do it. Just wanted everyone's opinion on what they think
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

Kurosabes

Its been considered to have something going in August, actually. But I wouldn't mind a season 6 or some other type of tournament this winter.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Kurosabes#0312

Dokurider

Don't we usually do SCC tournies in the winter? Of course I say that with only 2 SCCs done so far.

Barren

The last few tourneys were during the summer. We did do the first SCC tournament during winter of 2012/2013. So it's up in the air now people vote on. I was suggesting beginning of 2017 because everyone for the most part would be around during Christmas/Winter break

gatebuster202

Can we do a ranking system and bracket everyone? Then do a double elimination bracket with classic seeding?

I'd be down for a Jan 1-2 start for a Season Tourney. If people would be up for something single elimination, and short-term, I have a better, consistent setup then last time for recording, and could commit to 5-7 matches in a week. (Up to 10 if needed.)

Winner of the 2nd FFT Arena SCC Tourney. -Geomancers

dw6561

I want to do things pretty soon. For the first time in several years (even though I wasn't around for most of that time) we have everyone pretty much on equal footing. If we wait too long, we'll start to diverge again into the "veterans" and the "newcomers" and some people will feel discouraged. Also, a tournament would help generate hype and a reason for more new people to join up.

However, I think we should first concern ourselves with rebalancing jump (aka releasing a 140a) before going any further, unless we want the winning teams to all have lancers or jumping monks with equip polearm.
This is FF Tactics. All the Tactics you can ever have, all in one byte.

gatebuster202

Quote from: dw6561 on July 30, 2016, 06:07:39 pm
I want to do things pretty soon. For the first time in several years (even though I wasn't around for most of that time) we have everyone pretty much on equal footing. If we wait too long, we'll start to diverge again into the "veterans" and the "newcomers" and some people will feel discouraged. Also, a tournament would help generate hype and a reason for more new people to join up.

However, I think we should first concern ourselves with rebalancing jump (aka releasing a 140a) before going any further, unless we want the winning teams to all have lancers or jumping monks with equip polearm.

Either nerf the speed or the PA equation by .2 - .25...

I'd be up to do a SCC with anyone else, a full season bracket might be too much with just one or two people recording DW.

Barren

Should we do a discord discussion for tomorrow night on the subject? I'm available all day tomorrow so anytime anyone is around is good for me

gatebuster202

Which subject Barren, the nerf or the tournament?:D I should be avalible for both for a half hour-full hour.

Andrew

Sure, Barren, I'm down for tomorrow at 7 PM EST.

Barren

Quote from: gatebuster202 on July 30, 2016, 07:07:01 pm
Which subject Barren, the nerf or the tournament?:D I should be avalible for both for a half hour-full hour.

I was talking about the tournament.

Quote from: Andrew on July 30, 2016, 07:50:17 pm
Sure, Barren, I'm down for tomorrow at 7 PM EST.

7 PM sounds good

Heroebal

July 30, 2016, 08:10:25 pm #11 Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 08:16:58 pm by Heroebal
How about a gimmicky idea like everyone makes two units ( 2 twins, 2 SCC,  or 2 normal) then they get listed and paired up(RNG'ed or other type of selection process) with another players two units.

Since everyone would be paired up it would cut down the number of videos needed for a quicker tournament and give some more time to work out kinks before the bigger tournament.

gatebuster202

I'm a fan of that idea!

I'll join the discussion, what log in do I need?? (I usually use Skype, so I don't know how discord works.)

Barren

I'll send you a link gatebuster for you to click on. If you have a microphone you can join the talk with me, andrew and the others.

gatebuster202

Corosar

I would love to join in on the tournament when it comes around. all i need is the rules for it and i will build something to fit it!~
Time for a new season!

V 1.4.1 W/L: 3 / 7
V 1.4 W/L: 3 / 14.5
V 1.39 W/L: 13.25 / 22

Argy

I will echo Coro's words. I am easy with whatever. I love a SCC tournament but I think there are some kinks that do need to be ironed out. I am looking at you Equip Spear Jumping Monk!!
Kotetsu Quad Killer!!

Gaignun

July 31, 2016, 05:57:22 pm #17 Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 06:09:39 pm by Gaignun
Quote from: gatebuster202 on July 30, 2016, 06:38:12 pm
Either nerf the speed or the PA equation by .2 - .25...

Or drop Monks' PA by 1 or 2 points.  If leaping Monks are the problem, then it would be best to make Jump worse for Monks than worse for everybody.

13 PA monks are a legacy. No other class has more than 10 of its base primary stat without severe performance limitations elsewhere. The hit to base PA can be compensated with a boost to Punch Art to keep things kosher.

gatebuster202

Quote from: Gaignun on July 31, 2016, 05:57:22 pm
Or drop Monks' PA by 1 or 2 points.  If leaping Monks are the problem, then it would be best to make Jump worse for Monks than worse for everybody.

13 PA monks are a legacy. No other class has more than 10 of its base primary stat without severe performance limitations elsewhere. The hit to base PA can be compensated with a boost to Punch Art to keep things kosher.

I'd be fine with that too. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Monks, but the simple buffing of the skill set seems fine to me. (Arguably better for everyone else, to compensate for that Massive Spike.) I guess the class for comparison is Wizard, as it's the MA-high class. (It's at 12 for ladies for an effective skill set.) (Dancer and Bard can't be compared as they have niche skill sets that hinder them.)

Reks

Quote from: Gaignun on July 31, 2016, 05:57:22 pm

No, it's the ease at which Jump can be raised  (for speed purposes).

Jumping Monks hit hard, yeah, but not necessarily harder than a Dancer equipped for the same purposes.

That and Lancers at 9 speed are a little too fast as-is.
  • Discord username: Reks#0128