• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon

Started by FrozenDragon150, December 08, 2014, 07:15:16 am

FrozenDragon150

Hi all, i figured i'd post this here since this forum has so many skilled and awesome and kind and amazing and handsome and cute and helpful hackers :3.

For those who haven't played Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, it's a SRPG by Intelligent Systems, i'll skip to the point, at some chapters, there are some 'Gaiden' chapters with more story and recruitable characters, however, to access these chapters, you need to have less than 15 units alive (this game has permadeath) so it is quite a gamble.

What i'm going to ask here, is if someone with skills, to give me pointers as to where to go with this requirement, like, how to remove it

I know the must be some value that controls each gaiden chapter, but i dunno what it is or how to get to it :/ so here i am requesting help

Help is appreciated

Xifanie

It's really hard to tell because I have no idea what the game is like.

The only thing I can think of, is debugging to see which byte is read that makes the game consider the unit "alive" in FFT, if the second byte of a unit is 0xFF, that means the slot is free (i.e. the unit was removed, died, left). From there is should be really easy to see if there is a counter.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

FrozenDragon150

I don't believe it's so complex, in fact, i theorize (not like i know anything, lol) that every chapter that has a gaiden after it, has some 'check' that sees how many units are in the roster currently, and each gaiden chapter has a max number of allowed units, for example, almost all of them have a requirement of no more than 14, so maybe there is a byte with a '0D'

But i cannot say, considering i dunno where is the chapter data :/

Xifanie

That's why need to debug it. If you can't debug from a lack of tools/knowledge, well tough shit; no one will be able to help you.

All you need to know is where the unit data is and breakpoint on that when the game counts available units.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful